So what did you do with your truck today?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought another idi home last Friday, already pulled the engine. Buddy bought it for the axles, Bought and delivered with engine for $100. It’s rusty but still plenty of good parts :Thumbs Up

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought another idi home last Friday, already pulled the engine. Buddy bought it for the axles, Bought and delivered with engine for $100. It’s rusty but still plenty of good parts :Thumbs Up

Rusty my rear! Nice find! That's still a $2500 truck up here lol!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooooo that almost looks like Big Red red.

Purdy.
Supposed to be original factory color per vin plate, think it was originally called "Canyon Red"? I've yet to see it in person however IMO it appears he's done a great job. Anxious to start re-assembly, hope I remember where all those parts go and where they're currently at!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally buttoned up my exhaust upgrade on the 6.9. Also installed the 7.3 filter head and tapped the heater plug for a pipe plug. Finding three 1/8 npt plugs for it was fun. But now it and the facet pump are happy and the truck has a water separator.

Also installed this cool pre made pre wired 5 toggle switch panel. Has a built in digital voltmeter, 2 2.4 usb ports, extra cigarette adapter and all 5 outputs have built in in line fuses. It even came with 30 sticky labels for the toggles. 12 or 14 gauge wire too and it was only 30$ on Amazon. Can't beat that.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I burned half a tank of fuel running errands and enjoyed every mile. Got my trailer inspected and reged. Speedo works perfect again. It was a decent day.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove truck to a third possible car to buy/flip. (Car was a rusty bust!) Loving the electric pump still! But the important thing is I backed my trailer down my driveway first shot!! I keep the tailgate off so I can see the trailer empty.

Had small issue starting truck and really need to look into the tank selector switch. When I bought it the owner said it stalls when using rear tank and it does. But I get a little rough start up. So we shall dig into it.

Al$o time for new batterie$ [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally wired up my trailer plug. Bought a Curtis Tee connector and spliced into the rear harness. Cut the 4 pin plug off and wired into the 7 way plug. No cutting or damage needed to the OEM wires.

No trailer brakes yet, but I don't tow anything more than 3000lbs...yet.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Tues. while I was out of town, a hail storm (golf-ball sized!) beat the crap out of several of our vehicles :( When the adjuster for my insurance came out, he said there were some spots on the pickup too and advised I should file another claim.

I got home this weekend and I really can't see much. It's an old farm truck. Just some places on the hood where the paint is scuffed but not even dimpled. It needed a hood repaint anyway. Hope they send the same guy out otherwise I'll just not worry about it!

Today I'm planning to pull the transfer case... once it warms up. Below freezing last night. In mid-April in southern Missouri! Springtime, my ass.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made progress on getting the replacement dash installed. Tore down and rebuilt the gasser dash i scored with my salvaged and rebuilt wiring harness. Lots of cutting and pasting and re wrapped the entire harness
Had some leather scraps around to I opted to cover up the nasty cracked vinyl insert while I had it out. Pedal bracket is fixed as well, clutch has full throw again. .

Can't wait to drive it again

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borrowed a transmission jack... went out to start the truck to move it closer to the garage, and it barely cranked over, not fast enough to fire! It's only been sitting for a week and a half.
-cuss

So either the two-year-old batteries were ruined by the previous owner from excessive cranking rather than fix the air intrusion, or there's a standby drain (glovebox light is my first suspect since there was no bulb in the socket, but it sure looked like it was going off with the door shut).

It won't be hard to find on this relatively simple truck, but it's still annoying. 10 amp charger hooked up for now.

Edit: The battery drain was trivial to find... sure enough, it was the glovebox light. Since today was overcast I could see it shining through the crack as soon as I looked in the cab. Just had to reposition and tighten the screw holding the switch/light assembly. It may have been "rigged"... the speed nut is there, and the slender plastic pin to keep it from rotating out of position, but there is no hole for the pin to engage.

But it's still gray and 40F... going down below freezing tonight again. Allegedly 60F for a high tomorrow. Maybe I will feel like getting underneath and wrestling the 72 lb transfer case out then!

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Installed 5 1/2" lift blocks out back and Bilstein shocks. She rides like a new vehicle again, couldn't be happier. Next will be traction bars and replacement bags for my air bag system.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the transfer case this morning. Really not a bad job EXCEPT for that upper bolt on the driver's side, which was every bit as much fun as I'd read about. A ratcheting 13mm wrench with a 30 degree bend in it would have made the job a lot easier, but I didn't have a spare one to hack up.

Now to put it on the workbench and see if I need any hard parts. I already have a kit with bearings/seals/shift fork pads.

I need to change the pinion seal in the front diff too, might as well do that while one end of the driveshaft is dropped already.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXCEPT for that upper bolt on the driver's side, which was every bit as much fun as I'd read about

I will say if I am able too I like to lower the transmission a few inches before I pull a t-case. Just remove the mount and maybe crossmember and lower it a little bit. That bolt can be a real bear but a few extra inches can make a BIG difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828