So what did you do with your truck today?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to pull it again ;)

Internally it was in good shape, except for the huge strings of black RTV everywhere and what look like pieces of a snap ring that was about 1" diameter stuck to the magnet. I have no idea where that might have come from, since there are no broken snap rings. Someone may have rebuilt it once before...

Anyway I need better snap-ring and duckbill pliers than I have. It was a struggle getting some of the snap rings off, especially the one recessed into the input. Likewise the needle bearing pressed into one of the case halves. Some careful work with a sharp chisel got that loose. I also welded a piece of rod to the end of the oil pump arm, since it was well on its way to eating through the case.

So I put it back together... And discovered an extra snap ring on the workbench. :frustrate Naturally it was the one that I had the hardest time getting out. Luckily the kit had an extra oil seal because I had to remove the new one to get to the snap ring groove.

I cleaned the case halves carefully and used Hylomar Blue. Bolted it all together and discovered that there was no power to the front output yoke in any shifter position :flipa although the high/low range did work. All my careful head-scratching to decide which way to put the dog collar on the shaft, and I still managed to get it backwards! I pulled the case apart again and called it a night.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
except for the huge strings of black RTV everywhere and what look like pieces of a snap ring that was about 1" diameter stuck to the magnet. I have no idea where that might have come from, since there are no broken snap rings. Someone may have rebuilt it once before...

If there's strings of RTV in it someone has definitely been in it before and used way too much RTV.

I cleaned the case halves carefully and used Hylomar Blue

I'm curious how well this works so let us know if it ends up leaking. RTV is what is supposed to be used but sparingly, not two tubes like the last guy!

And yes, those recessed input bearing snap rings are a ROYAL PAIN!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If there's strings of RTV in it someone has definitely been in it before and used way too much RTV.

I'm curious how well this works so let us know if it ends up leaking. RTV is what is supposed to be used but sparingly, not two tubes like the last guy!

And yes, those recessed input bearing snap rings are a ROYAL PAIN!
I used "the right stuff."
Also, I bought the channel-lock snap ring plier set. The ones with the changeable ends. Worked well on the tcase.
Way better than the HF Junk I tried last time. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score

After reading all the tech info sheets I could find, I am wary of using RTV on anything subject to continuous contact with synthetic ATF. These are machined surfaces and Hylomar is supposed to be the stuff to use on them.

A previous hack also glopped up the input spacer with the same RTV instead of using the big round gasket (that even comes with the seal/bearing kit).

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Apparently my 85 didn't want it's old direct drive starter anymore. It clicked but didn't spoil up twice this morning and 5 times after work before actually starting the truck so I switched it out tonight... and then it still just clicked once so I replaced the fender solenoid. And by replaced I mean I just put a second new solenoid right below the old one and if something happens I can just use the other one. I don't know which of the two were clicking but I just figured new everything. It's part store junk but I don't have a week to wait for a powermaster starter and motorcraft solenoid so oh well.. I've had fender solenoids stuck, starter solenoids stuck, etc. Its awful. So now I hook my batteries just tight enough I can pull the cables off if I twist and pull. I wish our batteries weren't hooked directly to the starter so if something sticks you could just put a battery disconnect from the cable to it. On ours of course if you put a battery disconnect the other battery would just power it. And two battery disconnects or custom cables are expensive. Blah.

Also its led headlight time so I'm awaiting darkness ..

Last edited:

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished the rebuild of my transfer case, put it back in the truck, installed a new Dorman shifter (price drop to $75 at Amazon), checked that all four positions worked (2H/4H/N/4L) and ran it into town for some errands. Seems to be working OK. Tomorrow is also supposed to be nice weather for once, planning on fixing the passenger side valve cover leak.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a few days off still searching for a small leak on the passenger side behind the air filter case but also been doing a clean up project at my grandma's house n my step dad who is moving n brought these two owl cages home,pic pict below truck loved the wieght up n down a mountain called Ramsey here in Arkansas.

Step dad was a rescue/rehabilitation for wildlife any who will be hauling a "03 dodge grand caravan Friday

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I changed the leaky passenger side valve cover gasket. THAT was fun. /s
The bolts everyone complains about (in the rear) were no problem to get to. But the one behind the filter bracket took as much time as the other eight... finally got it out with a u-joint and short socket.

Removing the cover from the engine was actually quite easy. It slid right out to the outside front of the head underneath the heater hose!

I straightened the cover, turned the hold-downs over (which the shop that put the rebuilt heads on had neglected to do), cleaned the cover flange carefully and put Permatex #3 on it and the gasket, cleaned the head surface but left it dry, and slid the cover back in.

Then I dropped that ***** of a front bolt and its hold-down twice, trying to get it started... the second time I never found the hold-down, and I felt around EVERYWHERE. Guess I will have to beg, borrow or make another. I used one from an easier-to-access bolt. Finally I used a thin cutoff wheel to cut an X in the head of the bolt and then I could use a long screwdriver to get it started.

I used a torque wrench on the cover bolts for the first time in my life ;) 84 in-lb (7 ft-lb) on each bolt in a cross pattern. If this damn thing leaks now... let it. Will keep all the other small leaks company!

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just working every day. My 92 F350 NA 5sp just purrs. Going from job to job. Have to replace clutch soon, hard as a rock and has the bird chirp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online