So what did you do with your truck today?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking car there... I'm jealous of your son...
Wish I had a few digital pics of the engine from back in the day. Tunnel ram with two Holley four barrels stickin thru the hood & Hilborn scoop. 305 CompCams super rough idle (sounded hotter than it really was). Super fun as a cruiser for a young fella, but not very practical........

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had a few digital pics of the engine from back in the day. Tunnel ram with two Holley four barrels stickin thru the hood & Hilborn scoop. 305 CompCams super rough idle (sounded hotter than it really was). Super fun as a cruiser for a young fella, but not very practical........

Oh the wish I woulda syndrome got lots of those...

Not practical but gotta have fun and enjoy before life catches up and the fun is very limited..

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting less crappy st plowing! Not an idi but I'm so glad my husband didn't make me scrap this old explorer.

The combination of the worst tires ever, not wanting to overwork the old truck and tiny "personal" plow is why I turn off so much

Also the plow at an angle kicks too much snow under the tires and I get stuck haha.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I pulled the bed, siphoned out the fuel into clean buckets (rear tank was half full which I'd never tried to use), dropped both tanks, installed new showerheads, put the new rear tank in place, removed the old selector valve, and the brittle nylon lines (with multiple loose/leaky connectors) and replaced them with Gates diesel-rated hose and permanent pinch clamps. It seems like every steel to flexible hose junction is behind a crossmember or skid plate, as inaccessible as they could make it...
I discovered that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, used 5/16" OD steel line everywhere even though the source lines are 3/8". The new Standard Motor Products FV5K (with pigtail) tank selector valve also has 3/8 and 5/16 barbs. So I'm going to have to go to town for a couple of barbed adapters to finish the job tomorrow. Then wire up the pigtail, lift the new front tank into position, and leak test...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
And that's all that engine wrote. Had to get a trailer ride home last night. Pretty confident a piston is in pieces in the oil pan with half of the rod due to a valve train failure. Carnage pics to follow later when I crack it open.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
That truck was a cumminGs? Or no?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Was an idi, then went 12v for 150 miles, cracked the block parked it till the 6.0l went down and currently an idi. Contemplating on going back to a 12v this week instead of dropping an idi back in.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body work is progressing for the cab swap.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Body work is progressing for the cab swap.
[emoji7]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The return line had a half-moon worn in it from where it'd been lying on the front driveshaft (Another note to previous idiot owners: Ford doesn't put all those clips/brackets/supports in because they like spending money). I ran new line all the way back to the tee on the rear of the engine.

I couldn't find one-piece barbed 3/8 to 5/16 adapters so I did the next best thing - screwed two barb/NPT fittings together ;) Connected all the lines, printed out a copy of the selector valve wiring and hooked up the pigtail. When flipping the dash switch, the front tank went to beyond-full (as it should, since it wasn't there so infinite resistance), and the rear tank showed 1/3 which is about what I'd siphoned back into it. So far so good. By the way, the bolt spacing on the Standard valve is just a bit smaller than the stock valve, so some rat-tail file work was needed on one frame bolt hole.

Next, I mounted the new front tank, hooked up the final two hoses, and siphoned a couple gallons of diesel into it. After looking at the 7 gal. of very old fuel that came out of the rear tank, I decided not to reuse it. Not only is it reddish (likely dyed), it really smells more like stale gas than anything. Any ideas what I should do with it? I'm not putting it in my JD 70 Diesel tractor either... :dunno

I ran the electric lift pump (from the rear tank) for about 20 seconds, then started the engine... but after 5 seconds it died and wouldn't restart. Then it occurred to me that I should have bled the air from the Schrader valve first! Oh well, at least that was easy to do (jumper the pump relay to the battery and depress the valve stem). Got the air out and after some cranking and stumbling as the remaining air worked through the injector lines, it fired up. No leaks! :Thumbs Up

So I put all my tools away... walked around the truck and realized I hadn't put the front tank skid plate back on :frustrate but it wasn't too hard once I lay down under it and lifted it up, although another pair of hands would have helped!

Now if my friend with the backhoe will help me put the bed back on... except he got a flat on one of the (very old) rear tires and is busy getting that replaced. And it's supposed to rain every day at least part-time for the next week.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I cleaned up the trailer wiring under the bed. It was just as butchered as I expected. But I did hook the four-pin flat connector back up to the harness. (Of course I discovered tonight that there's a premade pigtail harness that does all the work for you. Previous owner was too cheap to spend the $23).

Also put in new taillights (only $9.94 each with shipping included!). The bulbs had an amazing amount of opaque dirt on them that had sneaked through the cracks.

The interesting part was tipping the 250-300 lb. bed on its side so I could work on it. Even more interesting was lowering it back down without help. A little engineering thought and it was easy with a long strap wrapped around the nearby basketball-hoop pole and hooked to the far fender lip
Bob and his backhoe showed up at dusk, so we set the bed in place. Then I found that the rear filler won't go on because there's a flimsy strut brace to the fender in exactly the wrong place. Guess I will do that tomorrow, along with putting in the two front bed bolts that I have. Four good used ones are on order from the auction place.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well todaybfit two front tires a $250 investment bought two interstate batteries another $250 oil change scheduled for Monday n tranny filter changed.

Any tips of good products to clean engine bay with engine still in a clean/degrease engine

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips of good products to clean engine bay with engine still in a clean/degrease engine
Car wash with engine cleaner. Try not to get it in the intake, and just soak the entire thing with the stuff. Give it a few minutes, then pressure-wash it off.

You might put a plastic bag over the air cleaner if it's exposed, to keep water out of it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I put the rear filler neck back on. In daylight it was easy to find a path to insert and rotate it into place while avoiding the fender strut. I installed the two original front bed bolts. The other bolts didn't come in the mail so I rigged a couple of 5/8" hex bolts to the rear holes for now. Hooked up the taillight connector and made sure all the lights worked, and popped the tailgate back on. That's enough for now!
I should have changed the rear brake hose while the bed was off but didn't get a round tuit. It's not in bad shape but who knows how old it might be. An item for another day...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance