So, i got into an accident today...

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Don't understand exactly how a left turner ends up smacking your front left with their front left, if I'm figuring damage correctly. Send the at fault person's insurance a bill for a reman steering box, all new tie rods, alignment, new wheel, pair of new tires and mount+balance + any other bits. I wouldn't trust any of those steering components if it sheared the sector shaft. Check your wheel bearings and spindle on the side she hit your tire. Wouldn't be surprised if you have damage there. Be sure to include both parts and labor for whatever book time is for the damage. Don't minimize it and get stuck with out of pocket costs when issues arise later on.

I believe any 80-96 truck steering box will work, AFAIK they are all the same. Junkyard that if there's any convenient, get new tie rods. Glad both you and the truck made it through with only minor damage. Hers looks expensive. I have zero sympathy for ****** too selfish to pay attention and ensure they don't try to occupy the same space as other motorists.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GET ESTIMATES!
do not settle for just parts.
tell them that you want a local shop to repair it,
take it to 3 different shops and have them quote you for the repair.
if they were truly at fault, they will pay the price of a certified mechanic to fix it.
and tell them you want a check.

and even if you're not **** certified, you will atleast get paid like one, or even better!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also want to very carefully check the steering arms and tie rods - probably worth just replacing all the tie rods.

From the damage to the box, the force from the hit was taken at either the front or rear of the tire and was then transferred through the steering linkage. I would not be surprised if the tie rod on that side is buckled to some degree, and the steering arm and balljoints on that side also took a pretty decent amount of force. May not look like it, but it took a pretty good amount of force to shear the steering shaft like that.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't think I saw anyone mention it... but i would pull the wheel and closely inspect it for cracks. Namely around the Lug holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a steering box off a 93 in the junkyard today. And after some blood, sweat, and beers I got it swapped out. The pitman arm end and the center link end are bent and egged out. My toe was pretty far off. And the drivers tire that got hit is off camber. But I just needed to get it mobile again since It got towed to my moms house and it couldn't stay. I was able to drive it (slowly and cautiously) home about 12 miles after adjusting the toe back. I'll be going to a shop tomorrow for a quote to send to the insurance company for all parts and labor necessary to make my truck all good again. And maybe that dent that's been in my drivers door can get fixed too ;) I just don't want the insurance company to want to total the truck out since that's what they tend to do with older vehicles even if it is fixable. I'm completely capable of doing everything myself so hopefully they'll send me a decent check and I can just get that D60 I often dream about....

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I will be getting that rim checked out on a balancer and visually.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
wow i am surprised no one on here mentioned to check the axle itself and make sure its not bent. i know its a D50 but taking a direct hit to the wheel suspension puts a ton of stress right at the pivot. ive seen a D50 axle beam bend and push the tire back into the fender well from a hit like that

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire still sits in the wheel well just as it did before. I'm just curious as to how the camber got screwed since I'm sure it didn't rotate an eccentric during impact. I looked but could not see anywhere that looked like the axle was bent. But only the alignment rack will tell you what your eyes can't see

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't have to be just an axle, could be a spindle, could be the housing itself...
I urge you to take it to a shop for written estimates

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I certainly can not afford to get it towed around everywhere to get estimates. But I am going to try and get estimates without the truck there, based off what I know it needs.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my box in 2010. One word of advise. Make sure the mounting bolts are tight! Folks on here recommended being careful not to over tighten them and snap something off. a week and a half later, the truck was on a flat bed headed back to the house with my 2yo daughter and I riding shotgun up front. We were on our way to her first fishing trip when the truck started pulling to the right. After a mile or so of that, I turned around and started back for the house. Didn't make it. Wound up in a ditch after trying to cross that last intersection. Could no longer get the truck to go straight. As she was being pulled up on the flat bed, the driver pointed out that the box was hanging half off the truck. That night, I bolted it back up and put a 24" breaker bar on it. Now it's tight. No more problems. If memory serves (usually doesn't) the best way to access everything is to remove the tire and the rubber guard just like you would do for the PS pump. Could be way off on that though.

If you were closer, I'd bring you a lug nut. I think I have 6 sets of extras that came free with new rims. Of course I only used 4 of those sets, but still have the other 2 as well as the 4 sets that were originally on the truck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A major problem with these trucks are the frame cracking around the steering box bolt holes, and the rivets coming loose behind the steering box that hold the crossmember to the frame. Stuff to look for when you are swapping steering boxes.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the bearings and change them if you are keeping the axle. I can guarantee they will go out in a short time, they are now lightly dented. This is from personal experience.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they were mad your truck didnt get more damage? what a buncha ******.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online