SMF gear roll over noise...

BrianC

Reaction score
Ever since I went with a LUK single mass clutch set up the gears in the transmission make a rough grinding noise on start up but mellow out once rpm's increase or when in 5th gear on the hwy. Is this anything to worry about, does it harm the transmission per se? I have about 5,000 miles on the new clutch and this is the only issue. No shuddering on take off like the DMF just the gear roll over noise. Thanks.

Brian

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's normal. Mine does the same thing. If you increase the idle a little it helps with the noise on take off. Or run open exhaust. That drowns it out too lol.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you have your choice of the increased vibration caused by a SMF or the failures of a DMF...pick your poison

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm... failures of a DMF??? over 200K miles on mine. No failure to speak of

Im not saying they are crap by any means and I wouldn't have a SMF if the PO had not installed it. My 94.5 PS had 315K on the DMF and it was just starting to go out.
But there is a reason the SMF is such a popular conversation piece and/or upgrade.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
much of the "perceived" DMF failures are directly attributed to uneven injection pulses or imbalanced cylinder pressures. I have collected many DMF's in good shape that I won't have to worry about buying one for some time. I have also been able to stretch out the lifespan of my clutches to a rough average of 5 years. ever since I gotten my firewall and clutch pivot issues dealt with, owning a manual trans truck is a very problem free experience.

BrianC

Reaction score
From what I can gather, depending on how the truck is used the gear rattle is just that. I don't tow with my truck but twice a year towing a small 4500 lb trailer rest of the time it is empty. If the SMF was eating up ZF-5 transmissions wouldn't we know about it by now? I took a new 1999 F-250 back in the day for a drive with the 6 speed and I noticed it had gear roll over noise due to SMF. Why did Ford change? I try to not lug my truck as the gear noise gets louder if you let it lug. Other than that I was just curious if this was the trade off. Thanks everyone.

Brian

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
So if I let gears/bearings rattle together for 5 years, there will be no additional wear?

I do believe that there is a place for the SMF. If you tow HEAVY, it's prolly a better choice. Along with a HIGH quality PP, TO bearing, Pilot bearing/bushing.

Personally, the added noise/wear the SMF produces is not worth it to me. I don't tow. But I do haul 800-1800 lbs in my truck daily. 40-60k miles a year.