Slide in camper owners: what's your mpg?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I didn't want to completely clean up and leave for sight seeing, someone would probably take the campsite inadvertently. I did take the camper off once, what a pain that is.

A lot of people use the slide ins because they like to camp off-road in the boonies. A guy I worked with had one because he liked to pull his boat behind the camper and the truck. There are advantages. No separate tags and taxes.

I think there are a lot of people that have the same dilemma I had, that is why they pull little cars behind their big motorhomes.

Some people pitch a cheap tent to mark their site as taken. I left my shower tent and chained my 30lb lp tank to the picnic table at one free camp that had electric to show it was in use. It's by no means a guarantee but most people won't take a site they can see is occupied. It was vacant when I got back so in theory it worked. I can't remember if anyone new was there in the campground or not.

Some states require a license plate for slide ins if you reside there.

The problem with towing a car behind a MH is then I'm towing something again, and twice the insurance on top of half the mpg. I might as well get a small 15-20' travel trailer and still get double digit hwy mpg with this IDI. If I was traveling with a partner/spouse full time who would help pay for everything, then it might make sense for a MH/car setup.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Born Free sold several class c's on ford diesel chassis in the 80's. Holiday rambler sold a few too.....

The problem is finding them after 30-35 years in not rotten condition. I went and looked at a 78 Ford class C Holiday rambler a few days ago. The generator was missing but I was like ok, a portable could go in. Inside wasn't bad. Then I went into the rear bathroom, it is completely rotten from leaks. They don't even tarp it over to keep it from leaking futher. I smelled the dampness when I opened the door before I saw it. The whole back of it is probably going to cave in if you take it down the road much. I couldn't get away from it fast enough. They want $2000 for it and make no mention of the leak/damage in their ad.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live near Santa Cruz and there are many, many people living in all sorts of vehicles. Mostly I see older motorhomes, a handful of cabover setups, minivans, and then there are the people who build custom setups out of wood. One guy around town built one with an Egyptian sarcophagus on top, pretty cool. One thing I have noticed is that the older motorhomes tend to look pretty beatup and sketchy, so if I were concerned about harassment from law enforcement I would avoid most of the older motorhomes. And one big plus about the cabover is your "motor" and "home" are actually separate. In the event your camper gets damaged you can find another to put on the truck. or find a better/different truck if yours dies. Just my .02.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I live near Santa Cruz and there are many, many people living in all sorts of vehicles. Mostly I see older motorhomes, a handful of cabover setups, minivans, and then there are the people who build custom setups out of wood. One guy around town built one with an Egyptian sarcophagus on top, pretty cool. One thing I have noticed is that the older motorhomes tend to look pretty beatup and sketchy, so if I were concerned about harassment from law enforcement I would avoid most of the older motorhomes. And one big plus about the cabover is your "motor" and "home" are actually separate. In the event your camper gets damaged you can find another to put on the truck. or find a better/different truck if yours dies. Just my .02.

My setup isn't exactly shiny and new. People will call 911 no matter what sometimes but its less frequent with my current setup. I think because it's so small, it's generally less concerning. But it has happened a couple times. The first time when it was a basic fiberglass camper shell, not this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

The trailer i had was pretty rough and twice in Iowa, a day apart in different towns a fair distance apart, people called 911 on me. They did the bare minimum of making sure I didn't have warrants then they left. Another time in Minnesota where I was in a supposedly private property parking lot within a city park and somebody got ****** about it. I just had to go park elsewhere was all.

I do find it interesting that cops don't care if they get lied to by the initial caller. The Minnesota time, the caller lied saying I was parking there overnight which I could prove was false but was besides the point. I said "if they lied about that, how can you believe anything else they say?" But of course, pigs don't have logical brains so yeah. Its like hitting a reset button, their brains can't comprehend it, they just go back to "they said its private property".

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Don’t call our law enforcement pigs. They might just save your life one day.

Not are are bad, but many are. The bad ones usually rub off on the better ones. The best ones typically quit because they're too moral to put up with the crime and brutality within departments.

Ever seen a police brutality video where the other cops pull a criminal cop off of someone they're beating? I sure haven't. They either join in or just stand there and watch.

My brother was a small town cop for about 20 years. He was a detective there towards the end. He got sacked for not liking some kind of dishonest if not criminal acts going on within the department.

I couldn't remember this because I was a baby, but when he was about 8, he did some pretty awful things to me, such as throwing a knife at me and setting a fire and trying to blame me for it. The reason I know is he told me in recent years.

Sure he was a kid but that's a predisposition for how someone is probably going to be as an adult, wanting to get other people in trouble even if they did nothing wrong and getting to inflict harm at times.

Yes, law enforcement has a place in civilized society but what we have today, doesn't. It's a military force against US citizens. They literally bomb and destory wrong houses all the time, then say "too bad for you":

https://kutv.com/news/get-gephardt/swat-raids-the-wrong-home-so-whos-going-to-pay-for-the-damage

https://fox61.com/2014/10/13/man-claims-swat-team-invaded-the-wrong-house/amp/

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/26/swat-raid-wrong-house-colorado/amp/

This guy was a criminal who fired at police but the original pursuit was shoplifting. They literally destroyed a nearly half million dollar house to satisfy their tiny *****:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de...03/homeowner-sues-greenwood-village-swat/amp/

You might say "it was required!" I say "********". The typical cop is a power tripping pig that wants to beat up and kill people. That's why they snap like a twig over any little thing.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again you are taking a conversation that is meant for the refinery beyond what the public forum area allows.

There’s evil people everywhere, even in many churches. Doesn’t mean humans are pigs, it means there’s just crappy people out there. People who are getting triggered by this recent outrage against police brutality are failing to see that, and categorizing every public servant as a pig is as ignorant as it gets. Police departments suffer from severely underwhelming budgets; a lot of officers are not properly trained to handle some of the situations they are forced into, and are not prepared to handle responsibilities that most people are not suited for.

When watching these videos, think about how you do not know what it’s like to do that person’s job, you don’t know the details of the situation that happened before the camera was turned on, and most importantly, you weren’t there.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Once again you are taking a conversation that is meant for the refinery beyond what the public forum area allows.

So, ignore people's replies to a casual comment I said. Got it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So, ignore people's replies to a casual comment I said. Got it.

No, Political discussions, and personal attacks (which we do have LEO's on this forum) are not tolerated on this forum. If you would like to continue here, you will earn a vacation.

If you want to move this to the Refinery, you are more than welcome. However, the rules in the particular sub forum are more relaxed, and others will state their opinions.

Back to the original discussion, or I will lock this thread and start issuing vacations.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
No, Political discussions, and personal attacks (which we do have LEO's on this forum) are not tolerated on this forum. If you would like to continue here, you will earn a vacation.

It was not a personal attack. I didn't name anyone, nor was it even implied that I was directing it at a forum member, because I wasn't. The initial comment was on topic, in response to someone questioning/commenting whether cops would harass someone more in an older RV.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It was not a personal attack. I didn't name anyone, nor was it even implied that I was directing it at a forum member, because I wasn't. The initial comment was on topic, in response to someone questioning/commenting whether cops would harass someone more in an older RV.

Then the response to the question referred to Police Officers as pigs. Stating you have had the police called was fine, the rant referring to them as pigs was not. End of discussion. Back on topic.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your priority is fuel mileage and reliability, you had better stick with the idi. I think you already know this. So that leaves two choices as I see it; Get a slide in camper or get a camper/trailer, utilizing the truck you already have.

The one time that I did leave the slid in at the campsite, was when I was having problems with the truck and had to get it worked on. Another plus for a trailer. No way could I have taken the truck in and they put it on a lift with the slide in camper on it. My setup was a little iffy in the first place, my truck has a 4 inch lift with 35's on it, so I had to make extensions for the camper jacks to get it high enough to slide off the truck. So then it was pretty high sitting there with no truck on it. It might be easier to slide on and off with a regular height truck.

Another plus for the trailers, their bathrooms are a little more roomy and their blackwater tanks are larger. My sliide in only had one tank, while most campers have a blackwater and greywater tank.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
consider a pop up slide in, other than the extra weight, there's not much difference in wind drag.
my old camper had room to move and sleep with the top down.
keeping the top down makes you look like a parked vehicle and not a camper

this was probably the wrong house too?
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...from-burning-condominium-video-502381221.html

https://journalstar.com/news/local/...cle_1e2806ce-6694-5154-a8bd-b21a86ff639f.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/youre-cars-fire-bro-jersey-police-save-unconscious-59072371

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-police-officers-save-life-of-boy-3-in-dramatic-bodycam-video

this literally happens all the time