Sending Unit for Rear Plastic Tank

cre1992

Reaction score
So I had an empty reading on my gauge for the rear tank. Upon unbolting the tank, it promptly fell onto my legs 3/4 of the way full of fuel. (I was sitting upright under the truck (yay for 35” tires) on a creeper and I bought the truck not running with no idea on if there was fuel in it or not. So after uttering some choice words and disconnecting the fuel lines it was “carefully” heaved out from under the vehicle.

That being said. 1990 Ford F-350 Chassis Cab ambulance package.

Rear tank is plastic. I would like to replace the entire sending unit. Anyone have an exact part number for a complete unit.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

cre1992

Reaction score
After doing some more digging I found this for the fuel tank... Still in search of a sending unit.

FOTZ-9002-C .. 19 Gallon Aft Axle Plastic Fuel Tank / Marked with ID engineering number: FOTA-9104-CA / Obsolete

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never been able to find a unit for that tank, but have had some luck cleaning and resoldering the old ones to get them working again.

cre1992

Reaction score
So I called up Ford. According the the parts guy this is what I most likely have. And for reference to hopefully help someone else out as well. Unfortunately all of the parts are now discontinued. I have had no luck finding them online either.

The rear aft tank is PN#: FOTA9002C
The rear sending unit is PN#: FOTZ9275A

The front tank is: FOTZ9002E
The front sending unit is PN#: FOTZ9275C

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pull the sending unit out you may just have a bad float. If that isn't the issue there are places that rebuild the sending units for odd ball stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cre1992

Reaction score
If you pull the sending unit out you may just have a bad float. If that isn't the issue there are places that rebuild the sending units for odd ball stuff.

Thanks, I plan on pulling the sending unit when I get a chance in the next few days. I will see what the float looks like. I might be able to scavenge a float off of the parts truck I have.
If not, I have a line on a tank and possible sending unit at a junkyard about an hour away. Waiting to hear if it has a sending unit. If it does, I might pick it up, and send the one I have out to get overhauled. There's a place called Tri Star in Seneca Falls NY that rebuilds/remans them.

cre1992

Reaction score

Good call, I pulled the sending unit out after I dumped the tank, sure enough the float was bad, it actually had a good size hole in it. I took the front tank out of my donor truck, and sure enough the float was bad in that too, but I scavenged the potentiometer or whatever the piece the float arm attaches too if I need in the future.
I plugged the sending unit back in and moved the float lever and she reads correctly.

I ordered 2 new floats on amazon, I hope one of them will work. I'm going to stick them in a pot over night and see if they're still floating the next morning before I install them.

The ford part # for the brass floats is: C0AZ-9202-B
I called the ole ford dealer up, and they wanted $100 for just one! :***::bs
Parts guy was stunned and told me they used to cost $10 a pop.

Broncograveyard has them for $5.00 each. But I wanted them sooner than later.