Self oil burning

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issue that came up yesterday was that the center paper got a bubble, tile checked out to still be straight. Pulling that waight around was a bit of a drag, so tryed without it today and got this far.

-intake rail is around .003 except the ends that are true with spots around .0025

.0025 lone spot center
You must be registered for see images attach

elsewhere .0025 slides this far that is at the fire ring

and .003 slides this far that is inside the fire ring

Checked how much was cut from the head and is at .0095, Im ignoring one outlier.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I that a machinists straight edge? Looks like an aluminum ruler to me which will not be accurate at these levels.

Do we know the flatness specs for the head? My Volvo head had 3 different spots to check, and each at a different shim thickness allowed.
I only have a Chiltons which I wouldn't trust one tiny bit for a spec like this.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we know the flatness specs for the head?

No I do not and was shoting for as straight as could. This head is hard as a rock and not sure how much better can get, it is eating to much time.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I do not and was shoting for as straight as could. This head is hard as a rock and not sure how much better can get, it is eating to much time.
Roger.
Just my own opinion:
Based on my research for the Volvo head/block which uses MLS head gaskets that require more flatness than fiber gaskets, I'd say that .003 or better everywhere will be enough. The problem with that straight edge is you might not have. 003 where you think you do, it's hard to say.
.003 was the acceptable max gap from corner to corner in an "X" for the Volvo 5 cyl head for reference.

I got this on amazon:
OEM Tools Machinist's Straight Edge - Made in USA!

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will call around and see if can find a machinists straight edge local then.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a regular machinist straight edge , 1/4 x 2 x 36" with one edge milled straight. Starrett . From back in the day when did engine rebuilding.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not find a machinist straight edge localy, so moving on to the other head. I started by checking current recession of the valves. I dont think did good job specing this one to strat off with since got two odd balls, its as if I mixed them up. So to cut for most valves to be at .051 recession or make a .0045 cut to have both heads equal at .0095. Think need to take a measurement from a fixed point to make the decision.

So today went to making 4 crop circles with the 50 grit disk in the drill slow with a fair amount of pressure.

Was having the disk wollow around from time to, so cut a low between the valves with the flap disk.

After some hours going slow was not seeing much going between the 4 points. So set head on its side and went at full speed at max pressure, still did not gain much ground at this one point after a hour.

There is spot like these here and there on this head along with scratches like in this cup left from the flap disk. This disk in the drill dose not seem to do much in a resenable amount of time vs a flap disk, I do not know where my da sander is at the moment. I dont want to go back to the flap disk because of the mess it makes, so going to move to the block and think about this. At this rate I would be at this for a few more weeks, that would not be viable so be best to send it to get cut.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I came up with to determine spec to take the head to was measure height of all but the outer two intake bolts. Most on the head that is at target cut is 1.9085 and adding .003 gives 1.9115, ignoring the 1.9030 odd ball. The other head had a few odd balls and ignoring the 1.9160 since was a low spot. So average of all except the highs is ~1.9180 and with the highs is ~1.9195, this gives a difference of .0065 and .008 with a mean of .00725. If cutting from .058 to .051 recession .007 would need cut, so would be in the ballbark of a equal cut based on this data.

Just cause I have a hard time giving up, went to see how much the snading disk in the grinder would cut off. I did not get a valid amound cut holding flush and at a slight angle could get something. If I went tageting areas at a angle this would make the surface uneaven and leave me with something that would be hard to block, so dont see a plausible path to take to cut .007 off this head.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this has drug out futher and got more issues. Start by me droping my phone where the half way attached pin for the sim broke off fully, so got a newer unlocked phone. At that point found att and verizon not honoring unlocked phones do to 3g shut down shenanigans, so spent the better part of a month getting volte to work on verizon. Still need to get sms to work but need not to be destrated by that or anthing else, did get cought back up on stuff. At that point got the engine blocked in wating on a clutch for a machine, that is done. So few weeks ago took the heads to a machine to get work done, they did not have room to take the block. Well today got a call saying the is a issue with both heads, there is crack leading off a one valve seat on both. So now need to find if can get fix and if so to who can do so.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The machine shop was saying something about this method to repair cracks in iron, so need to find someone near st louis either on the mo or il side that can do this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lock stitching is something you can do to save it. But what's it going to cost? On a classic oldsmobile or some other rare head, it's worth doing. On one of these engines, I'd be hesitant because reman'd heads that are ready to install are available.

I'm honestly surprised the machine shop even recommended this.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reman heads, although available, are not that cheap. And what kind of work did they do - just slap it together, or actually check things like valve recession height?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what kind of work did they do - just slap it together, or actually check things like valve recession height?

They decked the head I only started on and maybe a light skim on the other. Ather that they checked for cracks, they did not proceed with the valve recession and bronze liners when some where found.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86