same question probably....atf and diesel fuel Together!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okkk, WASTE ATF.

Many of us have run different waste oils. Make sure you filter well and that there is no water in the oil.

With my old van I found I had more power with WMO, I presume this was because the IP was worn and the oil thickened the fuel to allow better injection pressure.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also motor oil has more BTUs than #2 diesel per unit from what I hear. Some say that oil vapor is what makes the head gaskets eventually lift off the deck on teh 6.9s, don't know if I buy that or not.

farmerscotty

Reaction score
well I sure do need the 3.54 rear end then, since it is a 4x4.

I have access to CLEAN ATF fluid......not new. Am figuring on filtering down to 1 micron at least.

Have to make the diesel stretch further.....just so much $$ for fuel.

I know a man running it straight in trucks and tractors........been doing it for about 3 years.....so it cannot be too bad of a deal.......he runs alot of miles.

Scott

Black dawg

Reaction score
as long as it is filtered good it will work fine. also you shouldnt need to heat it. Ive been running 50/50 wmo/#2 with no heater down to 10 deg. with no problems.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, guys, it is not a good idea to run "ATF" of any kind, the reason being that it will dye the fuel "RED". Just the other day the local police set up a check point and they were dipping fuel tanks looking for off road fuel. A friend of mine, a farmer, got dipped and as luck had it he had straight #2 in his tank but other "pickup" were being sited for running off road fuel. This is happening more and more and I don't care what you tell the cops you will have a hard time convincing them you were not or have not been running "OFF ROAD RED FUEL". This check has also been done at farm auctions where there were a lot of farm trucks parked on the road, public access road. I know for a fact if you get caught with "RED" fuel it is a $10,000 fine per truck. A friend of mine that owns a small blacktop paving company got caught with "off road" fuel in 2 of his dump trucks and it almost put him out of business.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point Jim. I say dump a couple gallons of WMO in there along with the ATF then, to turn the fuel BLACK. LOL

Hey, wait a minute. ;Really That would turn off road fuel black too. :angel:

As for the comment that no additives are required, I'd say that is a matter of opionion. Additivies, in my (also a) opinion have always been required. They have been monkeying around with what is considered the "acceptable wear scar" for some time now. If you want somebody else to decide for you what the acceptable amount of wear on your IP an injectors are, then go ahead and run it streight with no additives. If you want to better your chances, and don't mind spending an extra buck on your fill up, then throw something in the mix to widen the margin between what they say is good for you, and what you might say is good for you.

How will diesel fuel properties, other than sulfur, change with S15 (ULSD)?
There are several diesel fuel properties other than sulfur that will change as a result of moving to S15 (ULSD).

Lubricity:
Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear.The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.
The D975 specification is based on the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) test (D 6079) and requires a wear scar no larger than 520 microns.

Energy Content:
In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal).
The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.

Cetane Number:
In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15ppm also reduces the aromatics content resulting in an increase to the cetane number.

Industry link

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Jim, Mel...I'm with you both.
Yeah, been hearing about the SaleBarn dipping....the public property thing. Also, have heard about them dipping while you're in line to unload, real crowded & hooked to trailer, & can't make a "run for it"
As far as the red color in there, the burdon of proof is on them. However,while you are fighting for your rights, they can put you thru pure & very expensive hell while you prove that "it was only ATF, sir."
I don't know about other places, but round here I gueass they could tow your rig in & you have to fight to get it back....while proving that it was only ATF.
Sadly, though you may be right all the way, they can still make it cost you, & at the very least, make an example out of you.
(think about it, if I got cought, even wrongfully, I still gonna gripe, grumble, & bi**h about it, but other folks hearing it will still get scared to run "offroad"....example made & purpose served!)
Not right, but it's the real world.

Mel, I'm with you on the Lubricity, energy, etc, etc....but a question??
I thought the higher the cetane #the better for diesels?
Higher Octane for gas burners...but diesels needed lower octane....(that is for the folks adding RUG to their WVO etc)
Higher Cetane for diesels the better, I thought. Up to about 50 cetane, or rather anything above 50 or so is ineffective/cost prohibitive.
Or am I mixed up?

Me, well I run anything I can dump in the tank. Ran outa fuel one night, dumped 2 cases of ATF in & went home. Ran great! & ran stout too!!
When the day comes that I get busted for red & black stuff in the fuel....I'll just "give it to 'em"...make bail, head for Mexico!! too many buttons & mods on my rig for anybody to want it anyway.
Besided that, I'm broke anyway....the wifey has all my dough!!haha:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
while I agree that having red fuel is not going to go over well its not by sight only atleast here its not and ib KY too. We went to the truck show at louisville and the state patrol had a booth set up talking about dyed fuel and that they have strips to check for the dye no matter what color the fuel is I beleive they said they could detect the dye down to 6 parts per million

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I would think there'd be a test to determine what it was that was in your tank. I really don't trust the government for anything. Personally I think we should eliminate all road taxes on all fuels and charge by the pound and how many miles we drive. Us ig truck guys would ahve to pay a bit more than the guy in the Insight, but that's fair; we have a bigger impact. Back on topic...ATF filtered to 1 micron is pretty fine...the stock filter only goes down to 10 microns. the NAPA Gold filters I use are 6 micron...which I thought was pretty ok.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The fuel checks that have been going on in Kentucky do not arrest and sieze right on the spot.

There is a tax man that does the actual dipping; although, a few local, or state, cops will most likely be around for the news coverage they get.

Your fuel sample is poured into a bag, much like a bulk-truck milk sample bag, then labeled with your truck license number, your driver's license number, name, address, etc.

All samples are then taken to a laboratory and tested for content.

If you are found to be doing something illegal, then a warrant will be issued for your arrest, at a later time, maybe months later.

Also, small amounts of whatever dumped in for lubricity will probably be ignored; but, large quantity usage of any un-taxed fuel, be it WMO, ATF, WVO, drain-cleaner, or whatever, will be frowned upon.

The bottom line is they couldn't care less about the pollution factor, so long as they are getting their taxes.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about that with homebrewed B100, but others have checked into it and found that the Feds allow up to 440 gallons tax free per quarter, the state of FL technically requires the tax to be paid, but they have no mechanism to collect it. Other states may, and may have a way to enforce this requirement. Still I hope i don't get dipped cause that is almost all that's ever in my tank. I might find myself at least with some uncomfortable explaining to do,
J.D.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon

If you are found to be doing something illegal, then a warrant will be issued for your arrest, at a later time, maybe months later.

Also, small amounts of whatever dumped in for lubricity will probably be ignored; but, large quantity usage of any un-taxed fuel, be it WMO, ATF, WVO, drain-cleaner, or whatever, will be frowned upon.

The bottom line is they couldn't care less about the pollution factor, so long as they are getting their taxes.

at a later time, maybe months later.....Hummmmm
large quantity usage of any un-taxed fuel,...hummmm
be it WMO, ATF, WVO, drain-cleaner, or whatever,....hummmm
so long as they are getting their taxes.....Yup!!

Well I would nebber, nebber, nebber do anything illeagle! No-siree, not me! I'm the salt of the earth, pillar of the community, walk the straight & narrow!!
Butshould I get dipped....& they give me just 39 seconds while they send that bag off for testing.....well you can call me (soon as I master the language & spell it) Jose, Pedro, Senor', even MUD....anything you want!
And they can have the truck!!!!

There been talk round here in C.Oregon about them setting up "sniffers" along side of busy intersections or main drags etc. On the pretense of checking for pollution.
But me & my suspescious nature I have, I know better! They're watching me!! I'm not paranoid....but they're watching!!!:eek:

sign_man

Reaction score
There isn't enough difference on your ratio to matter as Old Mister Bill has already stated, usually the front is a hundredth off the rear anyway. I know Chevy used 3.07 in the front and 3.08 in the rear for most of the '80s. Think about how little the difference really is and you can see that a slightly mismatched set of tires will have a greater effect.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concerning taxes on "additives". Anything that you "add" to the taxed fuel is considered tax excempt. WMO, goldfish, whatever, is OK to add to the taxed fuel.

I would not hesitate to add ATF simply because of the red color. Particularly with high concentrations, it will be obvious to an inspector that they are dealing with something much redder than off-road fuel.

Brings me drums of anything relatively clean, resembling light oil and flammable, and I will run it in my truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the cetain value relates to the flamibility of the fuel. I would suppose if it becomes more flammible, it may have less energy, so maybe that makes sense. Diesel gets it's power from the slower burn.