First Diesel, Lots of Questions

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
So let me start this story...my 1990 gasser (Bruiser) that began life as a 2wd 300 powered 5 speed went through 12 owners and a lot of abuse before me. I converted it to 4x4 and saved the inline sixer and have started to near the 600K mark with only a top end rebuild (really only needed to readjust loose rockers, but swapped in guideplates, hardened pushrods, steel timing gears and chebby rockers). Swapped in a 1 ton rear end and have the matching D60 waiting for the front, plus other repairs that I haven't been able to get too. She started telling me that at least new rings are needed as I was pulling a 16' flatbed and stayed smelling the blowby. Since I work second shifts building KW trucks, I don't really have the time to get everything done and already have a bronco that needs a floor and put back together for the fiance, I decided it was finally time to get my next truck. Sounds like a good excuse to get a diesel and fill up the driveway, right? Anyway, enter the Enterprise D. 1990 F350, crew cab, long bed, diesel, dually, overhauled by Western Hauler. Had about 165K on it when I picked it up a few weeks ago on the other side of the state, but has a Jasper 7.3L IDI with unknown miles on it and a recently rebuilt ZF5 and oil cooler...and not the greatest paint job when you get up close (some runs, no clear coat).

I'll take a pick break.
You must be registered for see images attach

Under the hood, there are some things that are obviously missing. Cruise control vacuum canister is gone. WIF light is on and the fuel filter is a Wix one piece, so there is no bottom housing to put a new sensor into at the moment. I have new ZD9 glow plugs that are ready to go in. Pull one of the old ones and found that they are indeed freggin' Autolites. #5 was fine, just burnt, so I hope they are all like that.

I will post again here this evening starting all of my questions and posting pics of the top side of the engine. It's time to go dig post holes while we have the weather. Did I mention we're fencing in our yard on top of all the other work that needs done?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the diesel family. Please do this one thing first. Fix the sagging fron bumper. Nothing says bad looking like that pic.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What'd ya do with the 300? Keeping it around to fix or sold? If you don't mind me asking. And looks like a pretty good find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Welcome to the diesel family. Please do this one thing first. Fix the sagging fron bumper. Nothing says bad looking like that pic.

On the list with the glow plugs for tomorrow. I hate the rotated look.

Not sure what will happen to this 300. I have a almost complete spare minus a cam that I'll build if I stick with the 300. Not sure if Bruiser will get a stock EFI rebuilt 300, converted to carb, or if I will just leave it down until I get to the planned C*****s swap. The bronco also has an EFI 300 and 5 speed. I'm not partial to bent 8's. Plan to one day in the distant future transplant a DT360 into this new one and maybe drop the IDI in the bronco, but that's a long way off.

Here's a pic of Bruiser from last year. Body has always been ruff since I've had it. Had to replace the rotted drivers door, so it's grey. This is her "good side". 37's out back and 35's up front, just enough to not bind anything up. Straight piped with 3"stacks in the bed (2.5" from y-pipe). Thinks she's an oil burner and most people can't tell she's not. She has served me well with the 300. Work, play and tugging around our 4 ton '77 Fan 5th wheel camper.

Also just pulled cylinders 1, 6, 7, and 8 Autofail GP's with no swollen tips and replaced then with the new ZD9's. I'll get the rest tomorrow after more post holes and fencing. Fingers crossed that I get lucky with the other 4!

Be back after dinner with the questions :)

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice trucks! The straight 6 is nearly indestructible, as you know. And good luck with the other GPs...

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic! While they may not be my favorite motor, the reality is that those 300s are stone cold reliable, simple, and cheap. Probably should have been what I bought when I got my current truck; this one is overkill for what I need. I have a lot of respect for the 300. Glad to see people keeping them around even though they don't make modern power/ fuel economy.

You sound like you know your stuff, but I would add checking the coolant to your immediate list if you havn't already looked at it. It needs to have SCAs in it, and they need to be maintained. Do that and your 7.3 won't fall victim to cavitation.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
PO put new coolant in it, but when I tested it, pH was closer to 8 and boiling point was probably about 300*. A coolant filter is in the plans. Any recommendations on where to get one/which one?

Picture time. If you see anything that needs addressed, point it out.

Jasper sticker. Also notice the bottom of the fuel filter. I'll have to get a new lower housing and o-ring when I get the return line kit and new filter. I definitely need a return line kit as the top end is bleeding off fuel when it sits. After the days first start, I can drive a mile down the road and shut it off, so still cold, and it'll fire the first crank when starting up again. Hot starts are still longer, but not as long as after sitting overnight. I can wiggle the return caps on the drivers side injectors, but not the passengers side. Tried to tighten the fittings, but they were already pretty tight and I didn't want to crack anything.

Miscellaneous connector next to the voltage regulator. Know what it's for? Going to swap to a 3G alternator soon as well to match my gasser.

Haven't checked the wire colors on the taped off one on top of the alternator yet.

Looks like the IP lever position sensor is still there, but I haven't yet found a connector for it. I'm guessing that this may function with the cruise control servo to adjust speed, aside from setting the high idle solonoid. I currently set high idle with my foot.

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your injector hard lines need some addressing. It looks like some of the lines are not the original ones and have been bent to fit in a location they weren't made for.

They are also missing the clamps that hold vibration down. Without them, the lines will eventually crack and then you have problems.

Start looking for the clamps and any lines that don't look like they fit in right. I might be able to ins some pictures tomorrow.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Is that the coolant temp sensor just behind that hose clamp? Haven't seen a connector for it yet either.

Anyone know where to get new intake screens? I've seen a lot of people looking for them, but all I've found is "make a new one".

What goes here and what does it do? Looks like a standard giant Ford relay. Last truck I looked at had the relay plugged in, but a wire or 2 going no where.

Horn isn't connected, but I can hear the relay click. Someone has installed cheapo air horns and wired them up to a new push button on a piece of aluminum angle poorly attached to the dash with a single wood screw. That being said, there is a switch next to that button, wires go here. Look like a manual glow plug control done the wrong way?

Drivers side inner fender. 2 plugs. Not connected. One has wires not connected to anything. Ideas?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Your injector hard lines need some addressing. It looks like some of the lines are not the original ones and have been bent to fit in a location they weren't made for.

They are also missing the clamps that hold vibration down. Without them, the lines will eventually crack and then you have problems.

Start looking for the clamps and any lines that don't look like they fit in right. I might be able to ins some pictures tomorrow.

Can you be more specific? I noticed that one didn't look right this evening while replacing the 3 of the 4 GP's on the drivers side. Maybe the one running from front to back (return from the IP)? Know where I could get those clamps?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor you identified as the coolant temp sensor, should connect to a connector wire in that area and goes to the fast idle and timing advance on your injection pump. It does measure coolant temp but only for those two purposes.

That single wire near your voltage regulator looks like one I have as well, but mine was part of the harness that included the glow plug connectors and that sensor connector mentioned above. Mine remains unplugged and zip tied right behind my alternator. Curious what, if anything, it was for. But with where yours is located, I may be talking about a different wire.

The intake screen, as far as I know, is a Ford only part (yes, I did buy one, recently.) I recommend white bear lake ford because I have had good experiences and found better prices than my local dealer. I have no affiliation with them. I did not buy my intake screen from them (had to buy it before I found that dealer), but Ford did have the part.

I MISSED THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A 7.3, this stuff below is wrong. My bad.
The area on your driver side firewall should be where the fuel-water separator was. It appears to have been removed (and is a common place for air intrusion). Probably was just bypassed. You only mentioned the connector so you may already know this. Can't help to mention though. Look this up in the body of knowledge for detailed descriptions both of the separator and possible replacements. I think (not positive) that connector went to the WIF light. [The more I look at it, the less sure I am of where that connector went.] Personally I bought the napa kit detailed on here and intended for GM trucks. I put it in the same spot as the original separator but left the dash light disconnected.

This, however, I see has also now been posted elsewhere on the site. Still a great deal. Was looking for my fuel line clamp source and came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-IH-7-3-L-IDI-Super-Duty-Diesel-Fuel-Injector-Line-Lines-F-E-Series-Complete-/181728247470

I would jump on that. The clamps alone would almost cost what the bids are at right now, and the lines run, what, about $25 each new? I may have gotten my clamps from diesellogic but not sure right now.

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I have a intake screen I'll dig around and see if I can find it. Might be at my place in San Antonio
If I find it You can have it no charge.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The sensor you identified as the coolant temp sensor, should connect to a connector wire in that area and goes to the fast idle and timing advance on your injection pump. It does measure coolant temp but only for those two purposes.

That single wire near your voltage regulator looks like one I have as well, but mine was part of the harness that included the glow plug connectors and that sensor connector mentioned above. Mine remains unplugged and zip tied right behind my alternator. Curious what, if anything, it was for. But with where yours is located, I may be talking about a different wire.

The intake screen, as far as I know, is a Ford only part (yes, I did buy one, recently.) I recommend white bear lake ford because I have had good experiences and found better prices than my local dealer. I have no affiliation with them. I did not buy my intake screen from them (had to buy it before I found that dealer), but Ford did have the part.

The area on your driver side firewall should be where the fuel-water separator was. It appears to have been removed (and is a common place for air intrusion). Probably was just bypassed. You only mentioned the connector so you may already know this. Can't help to mention though. Look this up in the body of knowledge for detailed descriptions both of the separator and possible replacements. I think (not positive) that connector went to the WIF light. [The more I look at it, the less sure I am of where that connector went.] Personally I bought the napa kit detailed on here and intended for GM trucks. I put it in the same spot as the original separator but left the dash light disconnected.

Was looking for my fuel line clamp source and came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-IH-7-3-L-IDI-Super-Duty-Diesel-Fuel-Injector-Line-Lines-F-E-Series-Complete-/181728247470

I would jump on that. The clamps alone would almost cost what the bids are at right now, and the lines run, what, about $25 each new? I may have gotten my clamps from diesellogic but not sure right now.

So I'm missing a fuel water separator that should be mounted on the drivers side fender? I can't see any evidence that one should be there. From front to back, I have the battery, overflow reservoir, a strip of rusty steel that was once the bar of the vacuum reservoir for the cruise servo, then the servo itself. I get the feeling though, that I am missing an entire section of harness.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I have a intake screen I'll dig around and see if I can find it. Might be at my place in San Antonio
If I find it You can have it no charge.

That would be very much appreciated. Thanks! I can PM you details when you come across it.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will correct myself because I have a 6.9 and just realized yours is a 7.3. You would have a totally different fuel/water separator and it would not be on the firewall there like mine. I really don't know what might have been there (if anything) on yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online