First Diesel, Lots of Questions

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the WIF wore. It is a black single wire with a black plug.

You must be registered for see images attach

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'll dig around for it tomorrow before work. Someone may have cut it off, but at least I could find it for later.

Looking at getting a Fram fuel filter when I crack open the system since I can get them through the zone and they have a port for the WIF sensor.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
2 items:

Unless they have changed, my understanding is that Fram filters are not too good. I would shop around for another which meets your requirements.

If you take the sensor off the side of the IP, the one used to regulate the E4OD, save it and save the pieces. If somebody changed from an E4OD to a manual, there is every chance that thing is still good. Somebody will want it eventually. On the other hand, it should present no problem for you if you leave it in place without connecting it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've heard people complaining about Fram filters. Always used their oil filters on the 300, but it was on its last leg anyway. I'll see what rockauto ha when I get the WIF sensor later.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Literally just found it before checking back here. I will definitely be getting one.

Btw, what does a DM flywheel sound like when it's needing replacement?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a procedure to check it. I think riotwarrior did a tech 101 on it. You measure the free travel. I think 5/8" is what the acceptable max free rotation is.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
There is a procedure to check it. I think riotwarrior did a tech 101 on it. You measure the free travel. I think 5/8" is what the acceptable max free rotation is.

Is that rotation with or without the clutch engaged (assuming transmission in neutral regardless)?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Sorry about the picture being a little fuzzy. I was balancing on the hot core support here in the parking lot at work.

But this is what I have on the harness that should have the WIF sensor wrire in it. I pulled it up and you can see the temp sensor harness has been loose for awhile as it's caked. The only single black wire coming out of it is connected to the alternator housing. Thinking that may be it and that the alternator is supposed to be grounded from the point it's connected at. So someone got mixed up and put 2 wires of different gauges together.

There is also a small connector under the temp sensor connector that has a little black box plugged into it, about 1x1.5"

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that little box too. I still haven't figured out what it is exactly. I have an EVTM too. It should tell me, I just haven't looked.

I can't tell from this angle, but hat wire that is hooked to the hot lead of the alternator....where does it go? Down into the glow plug harness near that mystery black box?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It's actually grounded to the alternator case, connected to the thicker black wire.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for the temp sensor where that 2 prong plug connects to? The taps on the sensor are bent on mine.

Also having to cycle the key twice when starting now with the new GP's. The after glow cycle doesn't run on the first turn, but after the second the engine takes off in 3 cranks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fly wheel needs to be free of the trans so trans in neutral I would think would be sufficient. Clutch in would make it a little easier to rotate. Google is your friend here. The search function is finicky. I'm almost sure someone did a video tutorial of the procedure but it was out of the truck.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know the part number for the temp sensor where that 2 prong plug connects to? The taps on the sensor are bent on mine.
The one at the very front, kinda tucked beneath the thermostat gooseneck? That's the one for the cold idle/advance. E8TZ-9E939-A . Best price I found was at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
They indeed have the cheapest at just over $33 plus shipping.

So now that I have new ZD9 glow plugs, why do they seem to not be getting hot on the first key cycle? WTS goes out but isn't followed by the controller clicking for the after glow control, but it will when I cycle them a second time. Has happened in 60* to 80* weather.

Ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351