same question probably....atf and diesel fuel Together!

farmerscotty

Reaction score
been reading all over internet........trying to decide about using clean atf in with diesel in my 6.9 1983 farm truck.

Can someone point me to threads or sites?

Next question.....my rearend is bad in this truck.......ring gear has 46 teeth and pinion 13 teeth.......3.538 which is a dana 70 3.54 ratio right>?

where in SW Missouri do I find a dana 70 3.54 ratio? and how much should it cost...

thanks again!

Thanks
Scott in missouri

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Farmerscotty. Clean atf along with diesel in a 6.9 is ok, won't damage a thing, especially if its like 5-10% of the fuel mix or less. You have several options on the rear end. You could probably get a compatible rear end from any 80-97.5 F-series heavy duty pickup in a junkyard, you could get a new ring and pinion set at http://www.ring-pinion.com or if you don't mind 4.10s plus about $1 per pound(heavy) on shipping, I have a Ford 10.25" rear end that worked when I took it out of my '86 that you can have cheap if you pay shipping. Have a good night,
J.D.

TOTHEMAX!

Reaction score
atf will not hurt a thing. are you using it as an aditive or a cleaner? if you are looking for a lube aditive you can run: atf, veggie oil, off the shelf products will all pretty much do the same thing. i put a qt of vegie oil in with every fill up.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I, too, have read a lot about mixing ATF in the fuel.

Many do it and say Okay.

Many others say that transmission fluid contains miniscule abrasives, intentionally, to make the transmission function properly and to eat up an injection pump.

I am not knowledgable enough about automatic transmissions and their fluids to prove, or dis-prove, this; so, until I know better, no ATF in my fuel.

farmerscotty

Reaction score
I have a single wheel truck. But is it a 3.54 or 3.55 ratio...........??
the ring gear has number 46 space number 13 on it........that figures 3.538 ??

Midnight......not run across the information about abrasives.....I know a guy that has been running it straight for couple of years in a 6.9 and in his dozer, tractors.

I think the 1 micron filter will be cleaner than the diesel I am burning now. Isnt' the stock fuel filter a 5 micron?

Scott

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I have been able to determine, the use of "abrasives" in ATF is pure urban legend. ATX's use bearings and many parts with tight clearances, which abrasives would not be friendly to.

I believe this urban legend is based on the fact that certain fluids shift harder than others, due to the use or lack of "friction modifiers" which is composed of whale oil, or synthetic equivelants.

The use of ATF for other purposes is based on the fact that it has very high levels of detergents to prevent buildup of contaminants on ATX components. Those same detergents will also clean an engine or fuel system (sometimes with disaterous consequences when large deposits are broken off).

Personally, I would prefer use of plain light weight motor oil to add lubricity to diesel fuel.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
The infamous "Lubricity" issue with diesel fuel with ultralow sulphur content is totally bogus. Diesel fuel is required to have a specific lubricity and the oil refiners simply use other additives to maintain that level of lubricity when the sulphur is removed.There is no reason to put anything in your fuel tank other than #2 diesel. Cat and Cummins specifically say "Do not use any fuel additive in their engines. The only benefit in using fuel additives is to the profit margin of the people that sell the stuff.

Jim

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been adding a quart every tank full for a couple of months now, and have noticed a difference in my mileage probably because of the cleaning agents. My injectors and pump have 150,000 on them. Getting about 16 + on the road pulling my lawn trailor now. Much worse before.

farmerscotty

Reaction score
Well I plan on using about a 40 percent mix in my truck to start with. Think I will add a heat exchanger for heating the fuel before the filter on the truck. Haven't bought one yet. I have all the filters, and plan on starting with 4-5 gallon filterings at a time. Heck if I do 10 gallon a week that is more than I will use, even in a 40% mix.

now back to the question I posted above........what is the gear ratio of my truck? the ring gear has the numbers 46 and 13 on it........which I have been told is the ratio of ring gear to pinion. I hope I can find a deal on a rear end....old truck is not worth alot......

Scott

anyone know of anybody running atf in the fuel in the 40-50% range>?

I would love to correspond with someone that is.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you possibly want to run 40% ATF? Sure it will run, but figuring a conservative price of $1.50 per quart you are looking at $6 / gallon.

If you want to add lubricity, a couple quarts of vegetable oil per tank will be more than enough.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The problem here is not many are reading his post although it is a little misleading he said CLEAN ATF not New ATF and he never said a thing about running it for lubricity he wants to run it as fuel that he's filtered clean I

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, he probably works with tractors and has access to a lot of clean ATF. As far as the rear end is concerned. Your truck has the old Dana70 which had the 3.54 rear end; the later Ford 10.25 had 3.55s. I fyou have teh skill to do it, a new ring and piniuon could be cost effective. Most people, even a lot of mechanics feel they are not qualified to set a ring and pinion. Most folks wind up getting the gears cheap and paying through the nose for labor. Obviously if you are running a 4X4 you actually NEED the 3.54 rear end and 3.55s or 4.10s won't do it. 3.55 may be close enough, but I don't know enough about it to tell you that.
J.D.