Newbie intro and radiator questions

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gates and napa Hoss are the same and are good. Dayco is also good. I cant speak for master pro since I have never used one.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a copper radiator from NAPA with a lifetime warranty. It wasn't cheap. I used the warranty three times in two years as the top tank seam kept failing. After replacing the 13# CAP WITH A 7# I haven't had a leak in four years.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is where they seem to leak first for some reason. Because of that I keep a spare, leaks pull put spare in take other one in and have it fixed.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket radiators and tanks are very thin. They flex every time the thermostat opens and a wall of water hits it. That along with the 13 psi cap.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone try using silver solder to attach the tank to the core? This can't be done as a patch since it has a higher melting temperature, but it would make for a much stronger joint.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone try using silver solder to attach the tank to the core? This can't be done as a patch since it has a higher melting temperature, but it would make for a much stronger joint.
Silver solder needs too much heat. You will unsolder the tubes at the header and you won't be able to remove the tank ever again.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
Old rad out, autoyard one in! I've been flushing for the last couple of days, and I am still not running clear. I'm going to go grab the flush T today. Obvious rust in the block and some scale in the autoyard rad. What kind of flush product would folks use for scale and rust? I've read that some use restore and restore +. I've rearched vc9 and could only find specifics for the powerstrokes. Which stuff is best in our idi's?

Edit: I'm pulling the block plugs every other flush cycle because it's a pain in the butt.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
Also, there were two thin (broken?) metal pieces that dropped into the block when I pulled the thermo. Looks like it was a thin round metal band. I fished the pieces out and I hope I found all of em. I can't find any reference to it. What is it, where did it come from? And do I need to find a new one before installing my new thermo?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep, that's it. I double checked mine to be sure. I need to replace mine soon. I would have done it over this last weekend if I wouldn't have been basically couch bound from not feeling good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online