Road trip time

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahah damn dog ended up walking through a pod of baby ticks in Oklahoma. We got in the truck and my wife started saying something about these little bugs on her. I of course said it was nothing don’t worry about it. But then I looked down on my pant legs and sure enough there was about 50 baby ticks on my pants, 50 more on the dog and around 50 elsewhere.
I pulled over instantly and we all jumped out, stripped down to our undies and through the clothes away lol it was wild. But what the adventure!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got about a dozen chigger bites here in Idaho a few days ago. Didn't notice until the next day somehow.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dane Rickford has been busy so I’ll say it for him. A little while ago he took a trip and I believe it was about 600 miles. He was running pretty close to 3000 rpm the whole trip if I remember correctly. I think he did all right on fuel too.
I have been crazy busy with the fires, cows and what not. Thanks Laine for posting for me. The trip ended up being close to 2000 miles. I got 12-15 mpg @2900 rpm. 11 hours of driving no breaks, and it did it without a flaw

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been crazy busy with the fires, cows and what not. Thanks Laine for posting for me. The trip ended up being close to 2000 miles. I got 12-15 mpg @2900 rpm. 11 hours of driving no breaks, and it did it without a flaw
I did hear Markleeville was close to burning, I guess you dodged that one, was close. Still see
smoke rising in that area. I saw the first plume of smoke the second day after the lightening,(4th) choppers doused it, or so it seemed. then the 7th it went into high gear. I have been a 3 pack smoker since then from the smoke. here it the 28th and still looks like a Volcano erupting.
Iam I Fish Springs.

quickster, you will be just fine, these trucks may be old but they will always get you there.

When I bought my 86 off CL in Sacramento, didn`t know if it would make it back to Santa Cruz, (153 miles) had to dump some money into it, tires rotors calipers etc...
Then made 22 trips from SC to the Carson City, Nv. area. that`s sea level to 7500 ft on hwy 50, or if i went Hwy 88, then 8K ft climb. The distance was 280 miles.

Biggest load, 5 mercedes Om617.952 Diesel engines, 6, 4 & 5 spd gear boxes and 1/2 dozen MB Diff., and my heavy az POS car trailer with the 84 MB 300SD and it was filled with treasures.

Was every trip good? Blew heater core late one night, made the trip over, then brake peddle went to the floor. MC & Booster. another late night trip, just about lost one of the U Joints, babied all the way.

So don`t stress over the short trip you are going on. Just follow your hood ornament, and hammer down.

Goat.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I made it. 13 and a half hours. the truck sounded better as thr trip went on. I kept kt at 65 most of the way. I had a scare about 2 hours in. I just got in to Delaware and a truck driver was beeping at me. I'm like that can't be good. I pulled over and found that I was driving on the rim on the trailer. Damn potholes. Well I brought the spare tire of course and the floor jack, so I was able to get it fixed and back on the road. I was pretty nervous for a while being I had no other spare, but the other tires held up fine. Traffic ks just insane. Lost 2 hours sitting. Thanks for all the encouragement. The truck is awesome. I have all you folks to thank for helping me get this one together.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Seen it 3 times, diesel pick ups dragging a flat tire on a 2 axle trailer since the diesel hardly feels it. Well at least he let you know. Remember in a pinch remove the tire and chain or ratchet strap that axle up. Been there done that a couple times in Baja Mexico.

Glad to hear you made it without any truck issues. These trucks are as basic as they come so little on the truck chassis or engine to go wrong.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I only stopped once for fuel. I'M glad I picked up the tach n time to dial it in. I haven't figured the milage yet, but I had to have done really well with the mpg's. Loaded to the gills and pulling the bike.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the same thing pulling my brother in law's Tahoe. Blew a tire and didn't notice till I got to where I was going. Luckily wasn't all that far.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did hear Markleeville was close to burning, I guess you dodged that one, was close. Still see
smoke rising in that area. I saw the first plume of smoke the second day after the lightening,(4th) choppers doused it, or so it seemed. then the 7th it went into high gear. I have been a 3 pack smoker since then from the smoke. here it the 28th and still looks like a Volcano erupting.
Iam I Fish Springs.

quickster, you will be just fine, these trucks may be old but they will always get you there.

When I bought my 86 off CL in Sacramento, didn`t know if it would make it back to Santa Cruz, (153 miles) had to dump some money into it, tires rotors calipers etc...
Then made 22 trips from SC to the Carson City, Nv. area. that`s sea level to 7500 ft on hwy 50, or if i went Hwy 88, then 8K ft climb. The distance was 280 miles.

Biggest load, 5 mercedes Om617.952 Diesel engines, 6, 4 & 5 spd gear boxes and 1/2 dozen MB Diff., and my heavy az POS car trailer with the 84 MB 300SD and it was filled with treasures.

Was every trip good? Blew heater core late one night, made the trip over, then brake peddle went to the floor. MC & Booster. another late night trip, just about lost one of the U Joints, babied all the way.

So don`t stress over the short trip you are going on. Just follow your hood ornament, and hammer down.

Goat.
I don’t think I would want to experience a dead brake pedal on highway 88….. I’d definitely need some new pants.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess having a gear box over an auto trans helps.
When the Peddle went to the floor, I had just unloaded at the shop. drove down to the corner to head back for another load. that is where it went to the floor. Limped into town and got her fixed.

The trip where I had all the engines etc... we came over 50 and stopped at IN N Out at Placerville. (Hangtown) Pull into the parking space and peddle was hard as a brick. lost the vac pump.(11PM)
Figured we had trailer brakes, going over Echo Summit (7500FT) is a steep down grade. dropped
her in 2nd and had to tap the brakes a couple times. held us around 25mph.

HEY quickster, glad you made it, we all knew you get there safely. Just gotta trust these old trucks.
Now to get unloaded and...now where am I going to put all this junk?
We have been in our place 7 years, and still asking myself, where am I going to put all this junk......ER treasures....

Good thing the trucker got your attention.
OH Trailer stories, got a few of them...another time.

Goat

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made it @quickster !

I got about a dozen chigger bites here in Idaho a few days ago. Didn't notice until the next day somehow.
Ahh! Curse those ba$tards! Where you at in Idaho? I miss that state, New Jersey just doesn’t do it for me