"Remote Mounted" turbo

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
So, I was looking around at something the other day, and this site came up.
http://www.ststurbo.com/
It looks like it works, seems to have good reviews. Other then some trial and error to get the right sizing, any ideas why this would not work on our motors? Just thinking out loud at how tight it gets in there with all the turbo stuff. There is lots of room under my truck on the passanger side. Some good wrapping would be needed to make sure that is does not crack when you run through a puddle.

Thoughts?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
It would work that's for sure the lag time might be a little more than one would like but overall the concept would work.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
From what I remember they just use an electric oil pump of some sort. Pump it in and out of the pan would be the easy way I would think, but I am not sure exactly how they do it.
The lag would be interesting, if the turbo was correctly sized, and all your pipes were right, I would think that it would not be that bad, the key would be early build up and a good waste gate. Just the thoughts off the top of my head.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would certainly be less efficient than a normal mounting, and the back pressure would be greater.

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea looks awsome. With that said, the concerns about lag and boost pressure sound warrented. i think this would be a great option for a second sequential turbo so lag isnt an issue. I do think they dont see those problems as evidently on the gas applications as we would. Just because of the low boost numbers n such.

Deffinatly a neat idea.

Anyone gunna turbo charge thier ASScalade? :rotflmao

northerncrewcab

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of the intake /air cleaner being underneath the truck. The fact that the air would be colder is great but it would also be closer to the dirt, water etc. Where else could you put the air cleaner that it would be protected? The install would be simpler and if a smaller housing was used allowing it to spool faster then lag might not be as much of a problem, although I am sure it will still have more than a conventional setup. The pipe from the turbo to the intake is pretty long but would have a cooling effect similar to a intercooler. It could have a section with fins on it to help cool even more.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gases would cool and become more dense by the time they get back to the turbo, and there would be less velocity. Just my gut feeling though. I'm no thermodynamics expert. I think the true intended audience of this device is the rice burner crowd, that never ventures off fresh asphalt.

northerncrewcab

Reaction score
That seems backwards to me. If the air is cooler and more dense there should be less backpressure. The cooler more dense air takes up less space allowing it to flow easier than the hot less dense air. An intercooler takes hot air then cools it making it more dense allowing even more air to be stuffed in the engine as compared to an engine that is turboed but not intercooled. Same sorta situation? But I am also not a thermodynamics engineer.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
turbo lag

"(With the turbo so far back, don't you get a lot of turbo lag?)
No, our turbochargers are sized to operate at this remote location. Just like any turbocharger, once the turbo is up to temperature and in the rpm range for which it was designed to operate. The boost comes on hard and fast. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm.
If you were to take a conventional turbo and place it at the rear, you would have lots of lag and consequently, our turbo wouldn't work properly if mounted up front."

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
I have been playing with it for sometime, I found a turbo that looks like it will work, Its off a D6 cat. I was talking with travis about it awhile back.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone saw the show "Trucks" this past sunday, but they had a little segment on this thing. No install or anything, just an info spot. Looked like ALOT of exhaust tubing on the table. Also, the oiling system for the turbo is a remote oiler which has to be tapped into the oil pan or something. Got it's own pump & filter on it.