rebuild kit

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey, i am planning on rebuilding my 1987 f250 with a 6.9 in it and i am not sure how to go with buying the parts. i'm currently looking at the whole stock motorcraft kit and putting arp's on it. i would like to get a tiny bit of more power but if its gonna cost a lot more i'm fine with running a nice turbo set up. also how expensive is a nice zf5 with a transfer case on it. im doing this for a high school project so all my money is going into it so i cant spend too much on it. im planning on around $2500. first rebuild too glad im doing it to this truck i plan on keeping it for a while. but advice would be very helpful for when rebuilding. i also plan on doing a serpentine belt swap if its worth it. any suggestions?

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an entire 6.9 Diesel engine that has been rebuilt top to bottom. As it sets, it's ready to run with injectors, rebuilt IP, etc. etc. Also comes with crate with rollers on it, so it's easy to maneuver around.
The engine is in fact a B block, which is the later 6.9 block that is not prone to cracking. PM me if interested. I'm willing to let it go for right around your price range. Just throwing that out there for ya since your so close to where I live.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, but like i said id like to rebuild the motor i have now. since its a 87 i also have the better block, rocker arms and glow plug system

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't blame you for wanting to rebuild your engine. It's actually quite fun and a learning experience. They are just really
expensive to rebuild when you tear into it. Been there done that a couple times now.
My rebuilt 6.9 has the same updated block & cylinder heads that year 87 has. Also has updated 12v glow plug system with new GPC & "bullet style" glow plugs. Rocker arms are the old style however. Those could be swapped over though.
Having said that, if you want to go the route with rebuilding what you got, there's a great group of people here on OB to help you out along the way.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah ive always wanted to rebuild this motor for my first rebuild but im actually going to do it now

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt kits are easy to find, personally would go aftermarket, not Motorcraft. I'd figure around $1200.

Machine work is the expensive part. Most likely have to bore the block, possibly crank grinding, head work, etc. Probably $1k-1500. Some stuff you could do yourself if your shop has the right tools, but only if there's someone who really know what they're doing - lots of technique involved in doing it right.

Would recommend getting a performance cam from Russ (Typ4).

Generally the disassembly/reassembly is straightforward, but there are some diesel specific tools required (freeze plug tool, injector seat cleaner, injection pump wrench, timing setup, etc) that your shop may not have. These engines are also significantly larger and heavier than most - common engine hoist and stands are questionable for them.

Get a good shop manual and understand it - most things are simple, but there are also differences from the common gas engines that other people (instructors) may or may not realize.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like already stated, rebuild kits are the cheap part. When it's all said & done, plan to spend about $5K on the entire engine rebuild. Seems to be the norm for these things.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check ebay for a rebuild kit.

After tear down measure everthing out...if within spec clean and store bag and tag e erything BTW.

Check it all and write it down kn a notebook.

Order parts everything is meazured incaze u have to order undersiz bearings etc...which would require machining of course.

Lots of work....and maybe dont let machine shop remove core plugs aka frost plugs