Ready your chin wiping napkins!!

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Should I tell I only paid $1150, naah, I'll keep that a secret.

Going to be an IDI.

Don't know for sure, but I think I'll sell my F250 and look for a donor that is not as nice.

It's a red 87 F350 (Dana 60 Kingpin Oh Yeah) 4 door, 4x4 with matching canopy. Has a 460/C6 now so that is going by by.

:sly:love:;Sweet

Attachments

• f350 87.jpg
    f350 87.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 120

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Was looking at the Cents too, but I need the utility of the bed from time to time.

Just checked the axle code, and it appears 35 dosen't equal 3.54 but 4.10.

Oh, well, I'll just have to put the alloys with the 35s from my F250 on it.:D

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I thought $2500 for the one in my sig was a steal! Nope. Congrats man. Nothing like a LBCC to haul everything AND the kitchen sink.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So I bought the truck about 30 miles from home. The 460 was dumping fuel out of the primary double pumper bowl vent, and first gear didn't work.

I bought a $40 carb kit and fixed the needle seat o-ring, yup, I paid $40.00 for an o-ring, that was after bringing my own universal o-ring kit and using one of those to replace a bad one in another spot, but that was after tearing the bowl gasket after having it off for the third or fourth time. Of course the kit was not universal to the double pumper like the dude at O'reillys said, so I had to use some sealer and try to carefully doctor the bowl gasket.

Low and behold, it worked and I got it home in second and third gear. The day after I got it home, I pulled it out to pressure wash the moss off, and when I pulled it back in, the bowl started leaking gas all over, so I was real lucky to get home it seems.

So to the IDI subject. I'm writing down some numbers, and I can quickly figure about $1500 in stuff that I could use off my F250, in addition to the engine and tranny, that I would likely not get if I found a cheaper donor, so I may very well part out the F250, maybe I will give a quick shot on CL first as a whole truck, I'm not sure.

But my dilemma as stands is, should I use an NP435 married to an NP205, or take a cheap 460 ZF and drill it for my 7.3, or just use my 7.3 and C6 since the F350 is already a **** cherry truck with a 3spd auto column and I would n't have to change any drivelines and add the clutch pedal and such.

Cheap is good for me right now.

Any thoughts are appreciated, I'm going round and round.

I'll post some pictures soon with it all cleaned up and with my wheels and tires on it.

Someone loved this truck and accessorized the heck out of it.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for a ZF, unless you planned on changing to 3.55 gears. I can't imagine what it would be like in my truck to not have 5th gear.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest / Cheapest option wold be to just throw your engine / tranny out of your 85 in the truck. But it's not going to be much fun on the freeway.
My truck started life with a 460/C6, and I bought a 89 donor truck to swap the drive train out of. All but a few pieces should come out of the 85 and go right in the CC. The only 2 pieces that were specific to body styles were the pedal assembly (might not be an issue for you), and the core support. The 460 radiator is puny compared to the diesel version. If you have welding capabilities, you can take both core supports out and do some cutting/pasting and graft the 2 together; this is the direction I went.
When I switched the engine/tranny over, I didn't have to modify either of the driveshafts. But I wish I would have lengthened the rear shaft out of the donor truck; the ZF5 equipped trucks had a bigger driveshaft and U-joints than an auto truck.
If it were me, I would steal the whole front clip and bed off of your 85 and put them on the crew cab. But then you would be looking at some paint work. 87-91 CC's are fairly common around these parts; 80-86 CC's are really rare.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I think it was yesterday, I saw a really nice 86 CC 4x4 on CL with the same paint scheme as my brown one for about 5k.

I appreciate the info on the core support, I've been wondering about that, I was hoping I could just switch the core supports since they were both not half tons.

This truck has been repainted top to bottom including the Canopy, so I hate to do a front clip, but there again, I do know a place to get fairly cheap paint work done and the hood is about the only imperfect body part on the red one.

Boy your making me think here, I'm really not that partial to the bricknose, I just decided I wanted a truck with the factory kingpin front. A freaking red XLT Lariat old body style CC 4x4 though, hmmmmm.

Well here is a picture of the new one, and the old one looking goofy with the factory size tires.

Attachments

• 0602111042.jpg
    0602111042.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 0602111043.jpg
    0602111043.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 12

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'd keep it the way it looks, that front looks pretty good with that color.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah, usually I like the bricknose best in XLT and either white or red.

Still confused about the switching of the beds though.:dunno

The bed actually has a nice recessed or hidden gooseneck hitch. I didn't even notice it but my Dad was droolin over it.:D

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they meant if you were gonna swap the 86 front clip, you would also need the 86 bed to match the fender flares.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I think they meant if you were gonna swap the 86 front clip, you would also need the 86 bed to match the fender flares.

Yes, Indeed that's it. Gosh danget I didn't even see that, I was looking at the indented line that runs along the upper end of the bed sides and it looked the same.

It gets to where I start assuming too much of the 80-96 is the same.

I guess I'll just have to get a core support from PicknPull or something and keep the body style.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^^^Check out my avatar; the bed on my truck is off of a 87-97, so the front wheel wells are squared off, and the rear ones are round. Bugs the hell out of me, but no one else seems to notice.

After seeing that thing cleaned up, it'd be really hard to start swapping body panels off it.