Railroad 19.5 Rims

RedTruck

Reaction score
12-ply is only around 3500# each. The wheel ratings are stamped on most OE wheels - and they are listed in this Accuride catalog. I think the dually offset limits the loading to some degree. http://accuridewheels.com/lighttruckwheels.pdf

I've only been rolling on my 19.5s for about 2 months. I bought the tires locally for $240/each. Wheels are 7.5" wide, 4500# rated. Tires are Triangle 689a in 245/70R19.5, 16/H/4805# rated.

You must be registered for see images

3500 is 7000 lbs per axle. My rig has a GVWR of 8650. That's good enough for me. How do you like them so far?

Paul

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
3500 is 7000 lbs per axle. My rig has a GVWR of 8650. That's good enough for me. How do you like them so far?

I run about 7000# over the rear axle at all times. I have 9600# GVWR on my E. I tend to run overloaded, because I know my cutaway is built the same as its DRW twin - Ford just derates the SRW for the tires & wheels used.

These tires (2 for the rear) were a huge improvement. I never realized how horribly a 10/E 16" tire squashes around when its maxed out. It feels like I added swaybar. Plus the tire doesn't squat under the load, so it stays rounder and the rig rolls easier.

As I said, I've come into the rail wheels a few times. If I could have had them for free, then I may have used them. The fuss with getting the offsets optimal ($150-200 per spacer, plus nuts & studs as necessary) and still only having a 6" wide wheel that is likely underrated - plus not having a spare... didn't seem very feasible.

FWIW, try and get the wheels (and any spacers) from the same type of truck. Then you know the offset will work.

Right now I can get some 19.5" DRW wheels in 8x170mm pattern - cheap!. Even there, the offset, bolt pattern, 6" width, and 2600# rating are turn-offs. for the reasons I mentioned above.

Another source... find out who does the tire service for UPS vans in your area. They ran 19.5"x 6.75" singles on some of their older GM vans. Sometimes they have surplus wheels. I have spoken to one person that got theirs this way. However, when I inquired they didn't have enough spares to be able to sell any off.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen any Hi-Rail pickups that didn't propel with the rear axle. Most of that hydraulic stuff you see is to pick the truck up when it is on the rails. I've often thought it would be cool to have a full Hi-Rail setup on the Moosestang. Just haven't had anybody "give" me a set to bolt on yet. Even neater (but not practicle) would be a full set of railroad wheels like they used to put on cars. Putting a turntable underneath would be a real trick. LOL

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Standard-gauge is 56.5-inches railhead to railhead.

How is the proper wheel-track accomplished with standard offset rims and spacers ??

There are several Hi-Rail trucks in my community, most of them early-eighties Fords SRW; they all have 19.5 tires with a lot of negative offset to the rims.

Also, the rear-ends are quite a bit narrower than standard rears with axle-shafts being about three-inches shorter than a standard SRW rear.

I know this first hand because I happen to have two trucks equipped with Hi-Rail rears.

The older trucks were propelled by the trucks tires contacting the rail.

I kinda believe the later models are not propelled by the trucks tires, but by hydraulic motors driving the rail-wheels on the Hi-Rail kit.

I could have this wrong; if so, please correct me, as I am interested in knowing.

Thanks.

The rims have a standard offset. You want the center of the tire to match the center of the rail. You might need spacers to adjust the center line.

All the Hyrail trucks use standard driveline set ups. Fairmont and other companies will not convert the rearends. They try to keep special parts to a minimum.

All the hydro stuff is the lift gear. Modern tech is nice.:thumbsup: Beats fighting with Fairmont 307's when you have a ton of crap in the back of the truck.-cuss

RedTruck

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a guy from Habsco. I asked him about the Hyrail 19.5 rims. According to him the load limits of the rims are whatever the load limits of the vehicle are. He said on the later F350's they needed a spacer, but the only reason a spacer was needed was to clear the brake line. Again this would have to line up with the track spacing. I asked him about bearing wear and the positive offset. He said they install 100's of these on pickups every year and they've never had a problem with bearings. He says from the factory they only recommend going 45 mph, but he said nobody abides by that when they are on the road.

He said they are truck rims. It'll make the pickup drive like a truck.

I like the tall skinny 19.5 tires. The 8R19.5 and 225/70R19.5 are between 32 and 34 inches tall. I also like the fact that they can handle loads much better than stock wheels. I'd love a set of Ricksons, but for wheels and tires you're looking at 3-4 grand or more. If you dig you can find used Hyrail rims for around $50 a piece.

Thanks for all of the discussion. I really appreciate it.

Paul

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Good to know about the front spacer ;Sweet ...although I'm seen the wheels come off an OBS F350 and there was a spacer (1.5" I think) on the rear too??? Maybe different wheels... different upfit company.... i dunno.

I didn't expect any problems with bearing wear. Can't be much scrub on that skinny tire. ;)

The Vision 81s I got from Rickson cost ~$50 extra each in freight and tax. I didn't think that was too bad to get them across the continent.

I felt Rickson was a tad pricey on the tires. Locally, I could get the 225s for $220 each, and the 245s for $240 each. I never found out about the 8Rs - they weren't readily available like the other 2 sizes.

A 6.75" wide wheel seems to be the most versatile. You can run all 3 sizes of tire discussed in this thread. Those what I originally wanted, but they were backordered, and cost a tad more.

One thing concerns me since I run mine on a business vehicle. I hope the rail wheels have DOT markings and an actual weight rating. Last thing I need is to get hauled off the road because some smart highway cop thinks my wheels look funny and might be for off-highway use only. :rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stood side by side, a 225-70-19.5 is exactly the same height as a 235-85-16.

There was a 1st Gen. Dodge in the shop today that has a set of milled-to-fit 19.5 bread-van wheels, off a GM-gear bread-van.

These are standard DRW 19.5 wheels that he had custom machined to be hub-centric on his Dodge.

He had 225-70-19.5 LR-G tires on the fronts and 8R-19.5s on the rears.

A mounted 235-85-16 tire stood beside the fronts was exactly the same height and about two inches shorter than the rears.

He said the 225s were too close together to run on the rears was his reason for having the 8Rs on the rear.

He also said he gained 2-MPG and the truck drove and handled a lot better, almost as good as a set of bias tires, without the usual radial squish and lurch.

Last edited:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another option you have is old cargo trucks and like mine off of a fritolay van.
I had to have all six of my wheels centerboard out about one inch and have all the lug holes board out about 1/8inch. I had them powdercoated in silvervain and put 4 new aggressive tread recaps on back and two used 225 up front. they look sharp and grand total of about $1100 for labor and tires. I got the wheels in trade for two used 16"wheels that I had laying around. I think that when my truck is done it will be the wheels that will make the biggest effect of the way the truck looks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main hold-up on a set of DRW 19.5s on my personal truck is the lack of decent stainless simulators that are held on by the lug-nuts.

All I see either clip on, or have about a dozen pieces that require special wrenches and such.

The simulators on my 16" wheels are no-nonsense and simple.

Many that we have to deal with are a nightmare, especially without any idea as to how they go together, hidden Allen screws, tiny fragile clips, etc.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Even neater (but not practicle) would be a full set of railroad wheels like they used to put on cars. Putting a turntable underneath would be a real trick. LOL

I stumbled across this in the searching I've been doing. Right up your alley Mel! You can even keep the Moosestang as-is...you've been looking for another project rig anyway.

Clicky