Pyrometer - Pre-Turbo or Post-Turbo?

Rob94F250

Reaction score
I would like to add gauges to the truck I have just acquired. I want to add a tranny gauge, boost gauge (15 PSI) and pyro. I really like the look of the ISSPRO EV gauges.

My question is, where is the best location for the pyro? Pre or post turbo? If it is pre-turbo, my thought would be at the left exhaust manifold, for ease of dropping the cross pipe so the metal shavings don't get into the turbo. Post-turbo - I should look at installing the upgraded downpipe, and tap in the sensor before I install the new downpipe.

1994 7.3 IDI w/Factory Turbo w/wastegate. E4OD.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think you will want it pre-turbo to get a real temp. The turbo could change the temperature and not give you a true reading. It is my understaning that as close to the exhaust manifold or in the exhaust manifold is best.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Pre turbo gives you the best temps, but if a pryo probe would fail (never seen it) it would take the turbo out with it. Mines in the drivers side manifold

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivers side exhaust manifold, at an exhaust port. Trans temp at the out let line to the cooler (front line on a E40) These are the most "direct" readings.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm adding guages to my truck as well. Does anyone have pictures of where they put their sender in the exhaust.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Its got to be pre-turbo.
Of what possible use would be the temp post turbo? At that point the temp would be lower as you've pulled energy out of it to run the turbo.
The reason to monitor the exhaust temp is to know if you are in danger of melting something like a piston. If that is the case, then you want ot measure as close to that piston as possible.

Rob94F250

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

I agree with wanting to monitor as close to the pistons as possible, hence pre-turbo.

I was looking to find out where others have installed theirs, and how easy/difficult it was, and whether or not there was a spot just waiting for me to install it in. I talked to a couple of shops in town here, and they said they install them post-turbo. I suspect the reason they do that is so they don't have to worry about the metal shavings getting into the turbo. I want to install it where it makes the most sense, and I am willing to take the time to do it right.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

ClassicIDI,

I will take some pics when I go to install the pyro. I am probably a month or so away from the install, as I still have to order the gauges.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best place to mount is usually on the passenger side up pipe. Reasoning partially, is that the pryro is calibrated to the particular length of wire provided in the hook up kit, and you don't want to shorten it, or make any loops with it (forms an antenna which may cause false readings from stray RF). Also the passenger side pipe tends to lend itself well to drilling for a clamp on probe. As for metal shavings, I wouldn't wory about them. They will go through the turbo before it has had much of a chance to spin up, and there won't be many anyway, especially if the spot you drill into is level, on the botton, and you vacuum them out.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
.......Reasoning partially, is that the pryro is calibrated to the particular length of wire provided in the hook up kit, and you don't want to shorten it, or make any loops with it (forms an antenna which may cause false readings from stray RF). ......

:bs Pyrometer cable doesnt need to be a calibrated length, and there would be no NOTICEABLE affects from stray Radio Frequency, voltage, or otherwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726