Pyro and fueling concern...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing - injector pumps wear out. Now with the elevations that you mention I can say that when we were out west a few years back with the TT in tow that the power was down compared to what I get here in the flatlands of Indiana. She was down on power, smoked more and my pryo would tickle high numbers a lot more frequently but still I did not have much of a problem making it up grades and such with the trailer (9200~9500lbs)

1992-6.9

Reaction score
Truck is about on 100,000 or os on the IP. Injectors....dont' remember. probably about the same. Fuel screw had been tampered with a few times by ATS... I am afraid to touch it as it runs better than it ever has...but still not what it should imo. I don't know if it is a characteristic of an IDI but when it's at idle it has the familiar diesel 'knock' noise, but anything off idle, it gets VERY quiet and sounds like a gas motor. If I just rest my foot on the accelerator the diesel knock stays unless i give it more fuel. Anywhere but idle it sounds like I am pushing on the timing advance lever on the driver's side of the ip. I also have a LOT of soot on the exhaust pipe walls, like caked up, but it doesn't smoke...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One area on the injection pump frequently neglected, is the advance cam and the little roller on the advance arm. Over time, the cam will wear and so will the roller, resulting in retarded timing over the miles. A bit of grease on this wear point will help prolong proper timing.

1992-6.9

Reaction score
OH I was just thinking, would the high altitude ip make a big power difference?? How do i tell if i have one of those?? Also, i can always no matter the temerature hear the cooling fan howling at higher rpms like it doesn't know how to release or something. Is there something wrong or is it normal....I assume with the racket it makes, the fan sucks a lot of power....

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the HA pump, if you have it knocks off about 20HP or so. I think the HA models were rated at 157HP instead of 175. I'm sure if you can get a part numer off the pump and give the # to a good diesel injection shop like MWFI or DIS, you can get the verdict on if itsa sea levelor HA pump. The high altitude pumps reduce fuel delivery so you won't burn down the motor and dump a ton of black smoke. With the EGTs at 1250 you are already knocking on doom's door, so I don't know if you could get away with one of the standard or turbo cal. pumps, but with a turbo, maybe you can...all that extra air changes some things. At 100,000 miles, that pump may be getting old.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
1992-6.9 said:
What is the best inexpensive fuel pump I should add??
If you want a real high quality pump, the facet Duralift works nicely.Granted it's not the least expensive, but if you buy a holly, you'll be buying another before to long, or having to send it to holly for rebuild. Or you could get a Mallory, they work nice and are user rebuildable, but you'll be putting brushes in the thing every 12k miles or so.
The facet is the factory fuel pumps on new carrier Transcold ****** units and are designed to lift up to ten feet so they can be mounted under the hood for easy access to the built in trash screen ( no need to mount down on the frame )
part number is 30-01108-01SV from a carrier dealer ( facet part #40223 )
They run about $125 and unlike the holley pumps which are designed for sport,and don't hold out very long, these things are designed for constant duty commercial service.
I've had one for about 5-6 months, works very nicely.

If you just have to go cheap, the little Facet cube pumps that most parts stores sell for about $35 will do OK, but they do have to be mounted low and I don't know how long they'll hold out on these things, although I've had them last for years on european diesels.
---------Robert

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
They run about $125 and unlike the holley pumps which are designed for sport,and don't hold out very long, these things are designed for constant duty commercial service.
I've had one for about 5-6 months, works very nicely.-------Robert

I've been trying to find a dealer that can get one and so far nothing. Where did you get yours? Lots of info on the net, but not where to actually buy one.

Thanks!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a dealer that can get one and so far nothing. Where did you get yours? Lots of info on the net, but not where to actually buy one.

Thanks!
Any Carrier Transcold dealer will have them, and Thermo King is now using them on their new ****** units as well, so they should have them too, but I don't know what part number they will have on it, you would probably just have to go in and ask for a replacement electric pump for their newest model and take a look, it should be the one. ( that's how I had to have them look it up at the Carrier dealer because they didn't have the Facet #)

------Robert

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
locked fan

the fan on your truck shouldnt stay locked all the time and that may be the reason it feels like it doesnt have the power like it used to, those fans can rob you of some power and cause you to burn way to much fuel.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
If you want a real high quality pump, the facet Duralift works nicely.
The facet is the factory fuel pumps on new carrier Transcold ****** units and are designed to lift up to ten feet so they can be mounted under the hood for easy access to the built in trash screen ( no need to mount down on the frame)
They run about $125 and unlike the holley pumps which are designed for sport,and don't hold out very long, these things are designed for constant duty commercial service.---------Robert
Robert, or anybody, you by chance know how many GPM or how much fuel pressure these (facet part #40223) put out or are rated for? Or a site that might have that info?
I see some pumps that are listed and show needing a pressure reg etc.
I'm kinda looking for something that will push volumn up to IP & back to tank to help circulate & warm up fuel in the tank quicker....running WVO & other "junk."
If too much pressure & volumn is pushed to my IP, filters, etc, then I run risk of blowing return lines, etc. and I can't get time to think things out to engineer or design something in my return system that will safely handle bigger volumn.
My Holly Red works, but would like to speed volumn up some.
Anyway, still thinking for now.

Exekiel69

Reaction score

Looks like it does need a reg valve to reduce the pressure a bit, now the real trick is to get them to answer the dang phone and very hard to get anyone on-line to order them. Have You really tested them against the Holley red? I mean, I have used mine for years now with excellent results but if this one You say is much better I'd like to have one so I can tell by myself.

What about the one You have in Your truck, did it come with a regulating valve to reduce pressure?

Thank You.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well to order You guys can call 617-282-1444 this place in Maine have them the name is Boston auto electric the proce $132.95, now the reg valve to reduce the pressure You can get it some where else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online