Pushrod dimensions?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hey sometimes you never know with people these days. They may come here and ask if they installed the spring upside down. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comp Cams 910-16

Valve Springs, Single,
1.354 in. Outside Diameter,
0.940 in. Inside Diameter
Damper YES
Seat Load 92# @ 1.850" installed height
Open Load 300# @ 1.350" compressed height
Coil Bind Height, 1.280'
Rate Lbs/in 415

Right off their website
http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Specialty%20Valve%20Springs'-0.aspx

These are not all that bad of spring really, compared to some I've seen in 600# at compressed height LOL.

He'll be fine with stock pushrods

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think somebody was blowing smoke, rainbows and unicorns up someones back side telling him to change the pushrods. Sure takes a bunch o questions to get at the truth. Its hard for some to know what to say or ask here.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 910 springs in my 7.3 No problem....The 910's have about 15lbs more closed pressure and about 40lbs more open pressure than stock springs with a stock cam. My Engine is running a J2 Cam with a little more than .040 more lift even with that Stock push rods are fine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have 910 springs in my 7.3 No problem....The 910's have about 15lbs more closed pressure and about 40lbs more open pressure than stock springs with a stock cam. My Engine is running a J2 Cam with a little more than .040 more lift even with that Stock push rods are fine.

Not being nit picky, it's a serious question.
When you say pounds, you mean per square inch?
Just curious as psd guys talk about using the 910's to cure valve float when running high boost, or even an exhaust brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI has about 75 to 80lbs of force holding the valve shut.... and about 220 to 240lbs when at full open at .0380 valve lift. when you rev this Engine to 3300rpm it won't have float problems. when you increase the valve lift and the ramp rate to get the valve to open faster you now have a possibility for valve float.
when the speed of the moving valve train creates more energy than the what is stored in the spring you float the valves. Running more valve spring pressure allows for more turbo boost and the possibility of running a exhaust brake too. The 910 spring is a good choice for this Engine because they don't need any real mods for install. The valve spring is good for almost .0500 valve movement if shimmed correctly. The stock cam's .0255 lift and the 1.5 to 1 rocker ratio is very lazy and has little risk of Valve float. Just install and check valve spring Height keep it around 1.850 to 1.830 or so and you will be Just fine. If it was a performance Engine you could Pre load them more with shims to just about anything you want but it will have little value in a stock configuration. It would only take more HP to run the valve train pushing the heavier spring rate.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some 910-16s. Thanks for the help guys. I hope they won't have to be shimmed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some 910-16s. Thanks for the help guys. I hope they won't have to be shimmed.
That's for the machine shop to determine when they do the heads based on installed spring height. Or you can determine if they need it too it's pretty basic stuff really.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Back to the point, what are the Pushrod dimensions? I wanna get Chrome Moly Pushrods made for extra insurance. It's only $14 per rod from SmithBros.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... Back to the point, what are the Pushrod dimensions? I wanna get Chrome Moly Pushrods made for extra insurance. It's only $14 per rod from SmithBros.

$14.00 x 16 + $224.00 of wasted money as there is absolutely no need for them, you would be better off, saving that cash and putting it toward roller rockers instead, as the spring pressures are not enough to cause a problem with stock pushrods even with increased RPM.

IIRC it was around 800 for Harland Sharp custom made roller rockers, so you are a 1/4 of the way there basically be skipping the pushrods.

You will remove more friction and free up more HP with those than any chromo pushrods LOL

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726