Pushrod dimensions?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to run 910-16 springs and I need stronger pushrods.. I gotta get them custom made by SmithBros. Chrome Moly alloy.

Does anyone know what info I need to give them? what are the dimensions of the 7.3 IDI pushrods?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're having custom springs made, you'll need to know the wire diameter, the compressive strength of the wire, the inner and outer diameters, the height of the spring compressed, the height of the spring uncompressed; and all that is in addition to the info about the pushrods.

-Of course, that's just my thoughts.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're having custom springs made, you'll need to know the wire diameter, the compressive strength of the wire, the inner and outer diameters, the height of the spring compressed, the height of the spring uncompressed; and all that is in addition to the info about the pushrods.

-Of course, that's just my thoughts.

Custom Pushrods, not springs. I need stock diameter Pushrods but in a harder alloy. I can only seem to get the custom made by SmithBros.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I read it wrong. Then if you're worried, use your old ones, and then use air-quenched steel drill rod, that'd be my choice, then bore the ol tube out on a lathe.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have several members running these springs and using the stock pushrods and have over 100,000 miles on them.. No issues. Did someone tell you that you had to change from stock pushrods or are you just assuming you have to run stronger..

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have several members running these springs and using the stock pushrods and have over 100,000 miles on them.. No issues. Did someone tell you that you had to change from stock pushrods or are you just assuming you have to run stronger..

RacinNdrummin told me I needed Chrome Moly Pushrods.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RacinNdrummin told me I needed Chrome Moly Pushrods.

Yes, 4130( Chrome-moly) is a stronger material, but I think your best bet in using it wouldn't be in using it for that aspect, it's substantially lighter than 'mild steel', and as such, there would be less parasitic losses because of moving that extra mass around in the engine.

Though, that's just my thoughts.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Did he actually say why its needed to run a different pushrod. Its always nice to learn why a person says something.

He said that the comp 910s will bend a stock pushrod. Not sure if hes lying or not. But he got some 4130 Chromoly Pushrods from SmithBros.

I'm not sure if hes to be trusted. Hes the one who told me along with NMB2 to use Loctite to hold the cups in during machining for extra insurance.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They must've been bs-ing you.
I've been watching racins build, don't think I saw him do that.
With a stock turbo and 910's (or hell even a slightly bigger turbo) you won't bend the stock pushrods.
Racin was pushing 40 or more on his engine. So I see where he would bend one.
Did he not give you the specs? Or try calling them and explain the situation, and see if they can pull up the specs from his order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
910's are not substantial enough springs to warrant a pushrod change what so ever. They offer a slight increase in pressure over stock springs however NOT enough spring pressure to bend stock pushrods, most pushrods that bend are because of catastrophic failure like pistons and valves becoming one, then you can bend a pushrod but in all likely hood the valve will fail first!