Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an injector that always leaks diesel and I have tried every return setup imaginable and it still leaks, I want to replace coppers as part of my reseal while it is out but I am scared the injector will come out in three pieces. Is that a valid concern? Do they ever just fall apart when they come out? I really don’t want to buy new ones and these ones function extremely well but I also don’t want to leak diesel all over right when I put it back because it makes such a mess.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is that a valid concern? Do they ever just fall apart when they come out?
They don't really fall apart. What happens is the the bottom gets stuck inside the injector bore and the top unscrews off of the bottom part instead of the whole thing coming apart. That happens when the copper washer doesn't seal so some combustion gasses escape from around the washer and you get carbon buildup around the bottom of the injector.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't really fall apart. What happens is the the bottom gets stuck inside the injector bore and the top unscrews off of the bottom part instead of the whole thing coming apart. That happens when the copper washer doesn't seal so some combustion gasses escape from around the washer and you get carbon buildup around the bottom of the injector.
But can be easily fished out with a spare injector body. Just grind off the threads to the block and screw the upper into the stuck lower and it'll twist out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But can be easily fished out with a spare injector body. Just grind off the threads to the block and screw the upper into the stuck lower and it'll twist out.
Yes but he's not wanting to replace any injectors. I was trying to explain what happens when one comes apart while removing it.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a problem where the gasket got sucked into the valve?
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online