Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell the valve seat looks to have been I damaged by the headgasket it ate, I may lap it just for the sake of doing it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is this a problem where the gasket got sucked into the valve?
It's hard to tell. After you lap the valve, make sure that the valve is sealing. Install the valve, turn the head so that port is facing up, and then fill the port with something like diesel or gasoline. Then if it's not sealing, you will be able to see the wet area left by the leak.
What about this little piston scuff?
It looks kind of close to the cylinder wall. Is it small/thin enough that you can slide something beside it and remove a burr?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good thought thanks @IDIBRONCO
I am pretty sure the piston scuff clearanced it self already but I may be able to file it a tiny bit.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I see three things I don't like. Hone marks are starting to wipe off. Head gasket eaten by a valve. Then there's the piston.

So here's what I'd suggest before lapping valves. How we test for leaking valves at work is to pour fresh diesel into the intake and exhaust ports, then check for weeping diesel past the valve seat.

Or just lap it and send it lol

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel test is a good idea, I will likely clean it up and do that test. I am not worried about the slightly faded cross hatch, in all my years of driving old junk I’ve never even had a cross hatch this good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I am not worried about the slightly faded cross hatch, in all my years of driving old junk I’ve never even had a cross hatch this good.
Plus I'm sure that you're not looking to do an overhaul right now. That's why I didn't suggest pulling the piston out to clean that mark off.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus I'm sure that you're not looking to do an overhaul right now. That's why I didn't suggest pulling the piston out to clean that mark off.
Yes that is correct, I wouldn’t be opposed to overhaul and especially on what appears to be an excellent candidate but I don’t think it’s due yet and with the transmission in the psd at the same time I’m already pushing it on funds.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the diesel test don’t forget the roll the valve stem and pushrods on the ground to check for straightness. Those three quick things then send it.
Haha I dunno what kind of ground you have... I'd roll them on a nice clean flat surface. :Thumbs Up But that's a stellar tip to keep in my noggin.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to get a bit fancier to top things off the 3 stage aerosolized dye test can show you cracks and is relatively inexpensive

Black dawg

Reaction score
The diesel test is a good idea, I will likely clean it up and do that test. I am not worried about the slightly faded cross hatch, in all my years of driving old junk I’ve never even had a cross hatch this good.
The crosshatch is a non issue.

Anything out of the ordinary with the headbolts surrounding those cylinders?