Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Constant torque clamps, along with them being silicone clamps, so they have that extra strip of metal so the silicone doesn't squish through the clamp screw slots are the bomb

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having issues with not quite getting enough heat out of my glow plugs so I installed my new CDD kit, interestingly all the new ZD29s are reading 0 ohmes off my meter but I know I am still getting heat out of them.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Someone needs to mail this guy some wire loom and electric tape to clean those up a little lol

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to mail this guy some wire loom and electric tape to clean those up a little lol
The problem is it’s a work in progress, I mess with my wiring at least once a month, once I have a few things sorted I will probably make it nice.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem I was having does seem to be that the factory relay was not putting out enough juice, the white rodgers gets it running with only one glow plug cycle and it works great. This morning I had to use a screwdriver the short the relay because their seems to be a gremlin somewhere in the push button area. :dunno

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something has gone very very wrong with my 6.9. All the injectors seem to be firing (I checked by loosening lines) and all the manifold ports are 225 for 5 of them and 150 F for the other 3 I am including a video of what it is doing. It sounds terrible and is down on power and it happened very suddenly, I am leaning torwards a dropped valve.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Dropped valve would have zero compression and sound like banging metal.
it does sound like it's chuffing out the intake, maybe a damaged valve seat?

Looking at your numbers again I realize it's temps. You probably have an injector not firing well at all. Change it out. Or move it to another hole for diag. If problem follows... Bob's you're uncle.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped valve would have zero compression and sound like banging metal.
it does sound like it's chuffing out the intake, maybe a damaged valve seat?

Looking at your numbers again I realize it's temps. You probably have an injector not firing well at all. Change it out. Or move it to another hole for diag. If problem follows... Bob's you're uncle.
It does seem to be chuffing but only slightly. I pulled ip lines on at a time and all seem to be firing. It went from perfect to disaster in 0.5 of a mile so I think I will pull valve cover next.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does seem to be chuffing but only slightly. I pulled ip lines on at a time and all seem to be firing. It went from perfect to disaster in 0.5 of a mile so I think I will pull valve cover next.
If nothing obvious under the valve cover I would use compressed air into the glow plug holes with both valves closed to help narrow down which direction it is escaping.

James

Black dawg

Reaction score
If it isnt blowing a bunch of unburned fuel smoke and seems to be running on that cylinder, it most likely is a valve not opening/opening all the way, rather than a valve not sealing.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it isnt blowing a bunch of unburned fuel smoke and seems to be running on that cylinder, it most likely is a valve not opening/opening all the way, rather than a valve not sealing.
It started blowing I burned fuel on my way to the shop as that is all I have driven it.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve covers off, nothing looks strange and all the valve train components seem to move.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be a collapsed lifter? I've only heard of it happening, never experienced it. But a lifter collapsing while driving doesn't seem very plausible...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online