PSD question-asking here because theres not much traffic in the PSD forum......

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone might know about this.

A buddy of mine recently replaced the factory engine in his 2000 PSD with an engine out of a 1998 school bus, it will now crank over but wont start. Im thinking there is a problem with the cam pos sensor as i've had experience with those causing the crank but no start problem.
I know that the school bus engine was of the first gen PSD variety, no intercooler and fuel pump in the valley rather than on the frame rail(electric) like 99+ trucks.
Will the 1998 engine work in his truck? Besides the fuel pump and IC, are there any other differences between the two that would make it an "impossible" swap?

Any input would be appreciated- and Mods, if this is inappropriately posted then i'll delete/move it, its just that this is the only forum i'm a member of and I value opinions here more than elsewhere.................

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously that was a pretty big change over between the two model years you describe there. I doubt it would just "plug in". We'll get this in the right forum, and don't fret someone will answer.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all 7.3 psds are the same and interchangeable.go over it and make sure everything is plugged in.as good a mechanic as i am i sometimes missed a few plugs here and there.check for blown fuses.he should have basicaly stripped the motor of all the school bus parts and put all the 00 pickup stuff on it.remove the fuel pump and plug the hole with a freeze plug.if you suspect the cam sensor take the one from the bad motor and put it in the new motor.the cps is the same wether its an international or a ford motor.all sensors you buy from ford are rebagged international parts for double the cost.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the tach regeresting when cranking? Should show about 500 rpm or more. CPS sends sig to PCM and you have to have at least 500 psi hp oil to trigger injectors. Takes alot of cranking to get the air out of the HP oil and fuel rails. Make sure the fuel filter is full. Check HPOP reservoir oil is at least 3/4" from the top.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while i hate to send people away from this site go check out www.superdutydiesel.com .its OBs sister site.OB is geared more toward the IDI than anything.SDD is geared more toward the PSD.a lot more psd knowledgable poeple over there than what you get here.

but like i said go over it and make sure everything is plugged in.every connector on the engine has a home.if he unplugged the engine harness at the main connector unplug it and check for bent pins.i worked on a van once that a shop couldnt get running for 3 years.2 hours and i had it running.was a bent pin in the main harness connector.try the old cam sensor as well.did he see the engine run before he bought it?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The donor vehicle is a 1st gen PSD, the recipient is a 2nd Gen PSD - different animals in many respects. Did your friend replace the electronics as well?

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
its do able without to much work, a guy over at powerstroke .org did one in his 2000. you are actually swapping in a better motor, the obs motors and 99s had forged rods while 2000 and up with the exception of a few had weaker powdered metal rods

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The donor vehicle is a 1st gen PSD, the recipient is a 2nd Gen PSD - different animals in many respects. Did your friend replace the electronics as well?

exact same motor with the exception of the PMRs after a certain date.only differences in the electrical are the valve cover gaskets.wich im sure was swapped cuz you aint gonna plug a single connector into a double connector gasket.and the 99-ups run split shot injectors and 94.5-97 run single except the 97 cali emissions run split.but single shots will run in a 99-up.may run fine and may not.splits can be run in 94.5-97s again may run fine or may run funky but they will run

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its been proven the tach trick does not work on the SDs.been messin with the psd for 6 years now but ill stepout and let the know it alls take over.good luck with it

zpd307

Reaction score
i had a no start condition a month ago. i thought it was the cps because i wasnt getting a tach signal.... turned out it was the fuel bowl heater shorted and blew the fuse, which also controls the pcm.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
what he should have done was a 'long block' swap, and then take the injectors & electronics from the '00 and put it back in the '00 and plug the fuel pump hole with a core plug, as has been suggested.

any other attempts to 'hybridize" or "make it work" would be like teaching a pig to sing..

electronic engine control components, the PCM, the IDM from the 2000 MUST stay on the 2000 and MUST be installed to the bus motor.

other possibilities include, but are not limited to:
air in the HPOP oil system..
leaky fuel fitting sucking air..
open or damaged wiring..
incompatible fuel injectors..

diesel engines are pretty easy to diagnose.. if it's got compression and fuel and it still doesn't run, you don't have fuel. At least not at the right time.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Is the tach regeresting when cranking? Should show about 500 rpm or more. CPS sends sig to PCM and you
Rich was correct.. that tach buffer in a late 99 & on renders this trick useless..

you COULD however, read a sync signal on a scan tool, like AE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance