97 OBS PSD Hard Starting

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK all, this is outside of the ones I know how to work on…..

My son as a 96 OBS Truck with a 97 OBS PSD installed. It has having a hard start issue. One odd thing about it is, ambient temp does seem to make a difference, but it doesn’t seem to be because of the Glow Plugs.

He picked it up last fall when it was “cool” out 40-60 degree temps… it would start and run like you would expect. On the first colder day, it did not want to start. Crank and crank, but no start. He called me over, and I helped him out. It was plugged in (we think the block heater works). You can hear the glow plugs cycle like they should. Again, crank and crank. I even manually activated the glow plugs with the relay, wouldn’t start. So we disabled the GP’s and grabbed the Cosby….. it took a bunch of cranking even with gentle use of Cosby to actually get it to start. When it did start that time, it was running slower than idle and he had the throttle held to the floor…. It took 30-40 seconds of that before it gained RPM and the once the RPM came up, it would idle. Next morning, it would start and run like it should. However, if you let it sit for 12 or more hours, back to the same thing. Crank no start. He has another vehicle, so for the winter, he parked it out of the way. The bing thing we saw, is if it was cold, (air temp) it just would not start.

He tried a few weeks ago on a slightly warmer day, and he finally got it started after way too much cranking. He let it run, got everything up tp temp and it seemed fine. It was not at his house, so he tried the next day, a bit cooler day, and wouldn’t start.

Yesterday he tried again, it was in the 60’s here. He did get it started, but it took 6-8 minutes worth of cranking cycles to get it to run. Once it caught, it ran and idled fine. He drove it home yesterday, and it ran fine, once he got it started. He tried it last night before bed 10ish, so it had been sitting 5-6 hours, and it started right up. 6:30 this morning, it fired right up and he drove it to work. Same this afternoon, after sitting at work 8.5ish hours, started up and he is out and about in it now.

We are trying to figure out what it may be. We have not put a scanner on it, (I have a bully dog to pull codoes on my 6.0, but it doesn’t work on the OBS). I don’t think it is glow plugs, since Cosby doesn’t do anything either. It was converted to some electric pump setup (the more we look at it, the less and less we like it). It has filters and the pump on the frame, and no bowl or the other stuff in the valley. He is wondering if it could be the HPOP draining back. He checked once and it looked like the reservoir was within an inch of the plug….. could it be something else. Ambient temp seems to make it start, a bit easier…. but still has that extended crank if it sits “too long”

It’s a 96 F-350 (97) 7.3 PSD, E4OD, 4x4, Extended Cab, Dually. Not sure of the miles on the engine, since is has been swapped.

We are just trying to get some idea of what to look at. Other than that one time it didn’t want to idle, once it starts, it runs fine, has proper power, no funny noises. It is just if it sets too long, hard start we are trying to figure out…. With it being able to sit 8ish hours and start, it should be “cold” by then….. so that steers me away from the normal glow plug issues one would think, and the block heater or ether don’t help it start when it does this…

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think you may have an leak on the pressure side of the hpop.... Rails, injectors, etc.

When it's a leak or problem on the suction side, the block heater usually makes a difference as the oil thins and flows easier.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So the extended cranking is purging the high pressure side? Would that be an O-Ring, or bad injector? We are both new to the 7.3PSD. We have had IDI's and my 6.0. If we can get a scanner on it, would we be able to "see" the leak? I know certain things in a 6.0 can show up as IPR Duty Cycle and the like.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't pretend to be an expert on these however had nearly an identical problem and it was a sensor on driverside front of engine. Screws into driverside head near the front. High Pressure Oil Sensor pn#F6TZ9F838A. Someone will surely correct this if I'm giving you bad info, however my understanding this sensor looks for a certain psi oil pressure before allowing the injector to fire.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I was told you can watch a "bad' injector have oil push up around it with the valve cover off. I believe that o-rings are the culprit.

The hpo sensor can leak the too. You can also unplug the harness connector and the engine should start anyway on default values.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remove the valve covers and crank it over. Is there oil coming from all 8 injector spouts while cranking? There should be oil only coming from the spouts and no where else around the injector body or solenoid. No oil means the injector(s) aren't firing.

If you don't know the service history of the glow plug system, now is a good time to replace all 8 glow plugs (motorcraft only) as well as upgrade to the larger stancor relay. While you have the glow plugs out you can bench test them by appling 12 volts. Within 10 seconds the entire tip should be bright red.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You can amp-clamp the harness pigtails in the truck (rocker covers off). Don't need to pull to test.

Diesel runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. So far haven’t had the issues again. But also have been driving it or starting it at least every 12 hours.

Nashmetal

Reaction score
Make sure the glow plugs are cycling thoroughly, watch the amp gauge until it goes back up, it takes several minutes sometimes. I too have a '97 PSD.