Project Queso

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend update (Saturday Edition)

Located a Manual Trans flywheel. Bled Injection pump lines and built oil pressure.
Gator clipped the IP to the batteries, Turned her over and she lit off nicely.

Ran it at ldle for 15 seconds to verify Oil pressure and I've identified a couple fuel leaks on the injection pump lines for, of course, 1, 2, 7 & 3.
Now need to figure out how to tighten those up without pulling the whole thing out again.

Edit: Update Update.
Isn't a good feeling when you find a tool that you forgot you even owned...
Got the lines tightened with a freshly re-discovered set of Line Crows Feet, a wobble and a 3/8" breaker bar. Huzzah!

Edit Edit:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
And for those who worry about such things: I started the engine, grabbed my phone, took the video and shut it down. Total runtime less than 1 minute.
Nice work! Sounds good but you forgot to blip the throttle pedal to set the high idle :rotflmao

From the looks of it, that thing smokes less cold with no exhaust than mine does warmed up!

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good but you forgot to blip the throttle pedal to set the high idle

I was actually surprised it lit off without glow plugs in a 50 degree building!
I had been wondering if the Ceramic coating on the pistons and the Total Seal rings would effect cold starting in a noticeable way.
My initial observations are that is has!

I had considered blipping for the "fans" but I'm not the type to push my luck.

From the looks of it, that thing smokes less cold with no exhaust than mine does warmed up!

You should have seen the cloud of build lube it farted before I started recording, but it sure did clean up fast!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually surprised it lit off without glow plugs in a 50 degree building!
I had been wondering if the Ceramic coating on the pistons and the Total Seal rings would effect cold starting in a noticeable way.
My initial observations are that is has!

I had considered blipping for the "fans" but I'm not the type to push my luck.

You should have seen the cloud of build lube it farted before I started recording, but it sure did clean up fast!
Wait-- no ether or glow plugs or block heater? And 50* ambient start?!?
I've heard a lot of good things about the total seal rings, especially the common theme of better MPGs.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait-- no ether or glow plugs or block heater? And 50* ambient start?!?
I've heard a lot of good things about the total seal rings, especially the common theme of better MPGs.

No joke... It surprised the hell out of me!

There was also assembly lube in play.
I also have no idea where timing is (it's obviously in the ballpark).
Its got a Denso style starter (forgot the brand) on fresh batteries and a charger cooking.
She was spinning over fast.

We'll see if this was a once in a lifetime surprise or not.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minor disaster.

While moving the engine around the shop making room in preparation to install it, the stupid engine hoist tipped over.

Upon inspection, it seems the engine landed squarely on the oil pan, crushing it.
I know I'm in for a pan obviously and I'm not going to gamble on the pickup tube not being cracked, but I cannot find a pickup tube anywhere.

Anyone have any leads on good ones?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Cracks or not, it would probably be deformed since there's supposed to be about 1/4" between the pick up and the bottom of the pan. Wes may have one. I have one too, but with highs in the teens for the next week, I'm not going to try to get it.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you learned from this and have the engine hanging very low if you move it around on the cherry picker again.

What I HAVE learned is that this engine hoist is going in the scrap pile when I'm done.
It shall not pass go, it shall never reach Valhalla, it shall be condemned to rot in a pile of burning Sulphur for all eternity.

And I shall live with shame and embarrassment for using such an abomination.

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the weight of these engines is not something to trifle with, even the stand that came with my engine did not far well under its weight.

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor disaster.

While moving the engine around the shop making room in preparation to install it, the stupid engine hoist tipped over.

Upon inspection, it seems the engine landed squarely on the oil pan, crushing it.
I know I'm in for a pan obviously and I'm not going to gamble on the pickup tube not being cracked, but I cannot find a pickup tube anywhere.

Anyone have any leads on good ones?
Pics of the carnage? :D ;Poke

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

The new oil pan and pickup arrived and I did get them installed.

Since I last posted, life got in the way.

The daughters Volvo S60 suffered a blocked oil pickup (Something common on high mileage P2 Volvo's)
My Volvo XC70 (DD) decided on the coldest week of the year to fail it's thermostat.
Thermostat on a P2 Volvo is a sucky job.

Then I had surgery.....
Hopefully getting back to regularly scheduled programming as I recover.

Here is the oil pan from the "Accident". (yes, it's sitting on a P2 Volvo oil pan ;))
I didn't take a picture of the pickup since it wasn't tweaked enough to make it noticeable.

Also received a **** Wastegate Block off flange (Thanks @Thewespaul) and got it Cerakoted and installed.

Hope everyone is well.

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good on the build! Whats the upside to blocking off the wastegate? Won't that over speed the turbo at higher rpms?

Also, tell me about those brass nuts on the turbo to up-pipe flange...is that just for serviceability later on?

I looked up that P2 tstat job and found some tricks to make it easier but it's no cake walk any way you cut it. I have my XC90 under the knife right now! Timing belt plus a bunch of stuff "while I'm in there".

How did you know it was the oil pickup in the S60? VS clogged filter or something else. Just oil light came on and she was able to park it quickly enough? I lost the engine in an S40 that way a year and a half ago-- didn't get over fast enough, I'm still just shocked that cars can run out of oil pressure and OEMs don't make the dash light up like a Christmas tree. Just a little red oil can on the bottom right.... -cuss

Love the build and heal up quickly! Do whatever PT you gotta do if it was that kind of surgery...it's worth it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My Volvo XC70 (DD) decided on the coldest week of the year to fail it's thermostat.

Was that not a lovely week..... LOL (I'm not far from you.... just up SR-9 in Greenfield....)

It was kinda funny... I have co-workers based in Texas (I work for the company that had the building in Downtown Columbus with all the colorful pipes in the back, thinks it's funny to see them on all the Columbus tourist billboards) they were complaining that it was in the 30's and got into the upper 20's for a few hours.... I just kinda chucked.... as 30 would have been WARM..... LOL

Hope you are feeling better after your surgery...

Also, with a couple of things you have mentioned... and knowing what all is in Columbus... I have a guess who you might work for.... LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online