Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sum total of my yesterday was acquiring a vacuum brake bleeder and a bunch of brake parts.

You must be registered for see images attach

The only thing I have left is to figure out if the pass side parking brake lever is useable. I've not messed with this style much so I need to put the drivers side together and figure it out first I guess. Between everybody being sick and snow coming tonight, this may take a while. I did find my drums and pads though. They were well hidden in plain site.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Finally got a minute to touch the truck. After finally sorting out the Chinese puzzle that are the drum brakes on this truck, I finally got the drivers side all together.

So yeah, mark me down for the crappy looking brake lever, I don't care. [emoji6]

What I do care about, is that my prebent line on the drivers side has the wrong damn fitting size on it. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

The ends near each other should have the same size fittings.

So I will be calling them tomorrow. Probably won't get me anywhere since I bought them so long ago but we will see. Worst case I'll buy a short made up line and bend it myself. I've bent plenty of line and I have a template. It's perfect except it's got the wrong fitting. Always something.

I'll put the other side together and put the e-brake cables together. I will bleed brakes soon!

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double check those fittings at the rear axle. In my truck the factory ford rubber line with the built in t-fitting has two different size fittings. Drivers side was larger than passenger side. Of course i did a custom stainless line there and had to reflare the drivers side line to the smaller fitting to match my non-ford t-fitting.

That make any sense? I hope so.

Looking good!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@junk I'm real glad you said something because it caused me to go out and look at things closer this morning and sure enough you are correct. The result being that now neither line is correct. Both have the wrong size fitting at the end for the wheel cylinder. -cuss

I'm going to post on the open forum but does anyone know if there is a fitting size difference between F250 and F350 or SRW to DRW? I have my paper work on the lines but at this instant, I'm not sure what I told them it was going on. I may have told them F350 since the running gear is F350 but I'm pretty sure I bought F250 wheel cylinders. I am also pretty sure that 250 and 350 called for the same part at least in SRW.

:rolleyes:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something tells me that the color on the fittings are a different type than standard tubing thread.
ive ran into this issue on steering boxes converted to racks.
not too positive at what the difference really is.

hope you get it squared away!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a little research. The wheel cylinders are 3/8-24. The fittings on my lines measure 7/16". I'm going to say they just put the wrong ones on. I looked up wheel cylinders. Srw and drw are different bores but have the same inlet size according to advances web site. I'll call them shortly and see what they say.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I had no issues at the wheels. My pain was self inflicted at the T-fitting. Because of all the brake line changes is there a chance there is 1989 wheel cylinders with 1990 brake lines or some such nonsense? I didn't think the wheel cylinders changed, but who knows.

Keep us posted.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I had no issues at the wheels. My pain was self inflicted at the T-fitting. Because of all the brake line changes is there a chance there is 1989 wheel cylinders with 1990 brake lines or some such nonsense? I didn't think the wheel cylinders changed, but who knows.

Keep us posted.

I don't think its an issue with the wheel cylinders. They seem to be the same inlet pretty much regardless. I looked at my invoice and I find it interesting that it says complete line set for '73-'05 so I wonder if the later trucks had the bigger fittings before they switched to disks. I don't know if they use soft lines on the SD rear disks or not.

Anyway, I contacted Inline tube. They asked for pictures of the bad lines. I don't know if anything will come of this but I will let you know. I'm pretty sure catbird ordered a set from the info I gave him and I don't think he had any problems so I don't know what the deal is.

@catbird7 what say you?

I did in fact order for an F250 according to the paperwork so that is all correct. It's just frustrating. I should have done the brakes when I did the axle and I would have found this close to a year ago now. I placed the order in Jan of 2015 apparently. No date on my invoice. I hope they make it right even if it takes a little extra time. I want to put them in the people who provide good service thread. Lets hope that happens.

Last edited:

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
@junk I'm real glad you said something because it caused me to go out and look at things closer this morning and sure enough you are correct. The result being that now neither line is correct. Both have the wrong size fitting at the end for the wheel cylinder. -cuss

I'm going to post on the open forum but does anyone know if there is a fitting size difference between F250 and F350 or SRW to DRW? I have my paper work on the lines but at this instant, I'm not sure what I told them it was going on. I may have told them F350 since the running gear is F350 but I'm pretty sure I bought F250 wheel cylinders. I am also pretty sure that 250 and 350 called for the same part at least in SRW.

:rolleyes:

Russ recently revealed a little tip on the SRW/DRW wheel cylinders in another brake thread (Maybe that guy that wanted to convert to discs but everybody strongly just recommeded hydroboost??).

You can run the bigger bore DRW cylinders on a SRW truck to get even better drums. I'd imagine with hydroboost it'd be pretty nice.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did purchase the same stainless line kit you have following your advice. Had no problems with proper fittings however some of the lines needed re-bent. Maybe these photos will help???

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks familiar...

Thanks. I'll make sure I mention that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online