Project Big Red

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Guessing I wasnt clear

Its broken that whitish platic piece...is Beee Rrrr Oh Kay Eee En as in broken :rotflmao

Not the valve the funky part on pedl...it really looks broken...like when I forced mine on and it went CRACK a d became nfg:rotflmao

It's been unused for awhile, and what's worse is the truck has been sitting for about 8 months or so now. The summer heat has done some damage to the plastic on the interior and even the Lariat trim on the outside of the passenger door. Currently planning on getting a reflector mat for the windshield to cut down on the heat in the cab next year. Now I'll need to check out the dump valve in the Enterprise and make sure it's not split as well!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise in a brick nose is independent of abs. My 89 abs light flashes all the time. But my cruise works great.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
You may be correct. I thought (but a long time ago) that I had read in my big red Haynes bible that if RABS is inoperable it will keep the cruise control from taking over the throttle :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be correct. I thought (but a long time ago) that I had read in my big red Haynes bible that if RABS is inoperable it will keep the cruise control from taking over the throttle :dunno
may be true in a OBS, not in a brick...
pretty much independent

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's good to know then! That'll make it easier to find out what's wrong the cruise on the dually (abs sensor broke in 2 in its socket on top of the diff). Now I'll need to find if the dump valve is cracked or if my rigged vacuum canister isn't doing the job.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I made a couple baby steps tonight. I got the e-brake cable installed and pedal mounted.

You must be registered for see images attach

I picked up a Dorman cable from Amazon and it seems to fit okay. Problem was foam bushing didn't really fit well in the hole to fill it up so I took the one off the old cable. I had to split it to get it on the cable but it seems to do a pretty good job filling up the hole.

Next on to the brake lines. Pulled the fittings out of the master and tried to fit the new lines. The one for the rear fits pretty good but the fitting on the end is wrong for the RABS. I seem to remember an adapter fitting that's probably missing so I'll have to deal with that. The front line doesn't fit all that well. Need a pic of someone's line routing for it. Here is what I have.

It's almost like the line is supposed to reach through the frame but there's no hole for it. Not sure what the deal is an I can't currently get to the parts truck to look at it. I think the lines are still on it.

All in all, a pretty productive hour or so.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
What? Something doesn't look right here. Your line for the front should go to a splitter block that only feeds the front brakes. The rear line should go to the RABS unit (can't recall which port). I can't help you with the 90* fitting on the frame rail side of the driver's hose. I've never seen that port used, just always plugged.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if any of these will help. Maybe if you zoom-in???
I agree with crash, the rear line should connect to the proportioning valve.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one line goes to the valve, the other goes to the T.
here is where my T is located.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck didnt have that T. I'm just sure it didn't. I found one pic of that area of the frame in my archive. I think I see why the lines don't fit. I've got another short line that came in the set that I didn't know what it was for. It was probably to go from the T to the short side.

Here you can see that there is no T and the line goes to the other side of the frame into the side of the hose block. It uses the hose as the T. Maybe that's a 91 thing? Wouldn't be the first goofy think about this truck I've found. So I guess the real question I have is which line goes where on the master. I'm not clear on that from the pics yet.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I put my pic on a bigger screen and I think have them backwards currently. The one closest to the front of the truck looks like should go to the front brakes and the one farther back to the rears. That should help. Now to sort out how to make things fit. Clearly the line kit I got was for using that T hence the extra little line that I didn't know what to do with. I don't mind tweaking the lines to fit a little. Seems like my 88 was the same way when I did it years ago. I put all new lines on it after I blew the rear trunk line. I'm just sure the parts truck (a 90) is this way to with no divider block. :dunno

Edit: Hell I'm not sure.... can someone confirm this?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can confirm that i am now going to do my own brake lines :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee thanks... that helps a lot.... :backoff

:rotflmao

I probably should have too. The others fit real well. :rolleyes:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what can i say man, i dont have much experience with these trucks on this subject.
i can do a custom job all day long, but i do really really despise the stock lines.
i dont know, im cookoo

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant can someone confirm which line goes to the front and which to the rear from the master. I'll figure the rest out. I hear you. It seems a lot more complicated than it needs to be. I need to sort this out. I can smell having brakes by the end of the weekend if things go well.... which they probably wont. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online