Prechamber coaking due to WMO

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you just add it to the tank to burn, or do you have to pop out the injectors or glowplugs, and soak the cylinders? How much is it? This would be nice to use if there was no drawbacks ;Sweet

I'm going to guess it works like gum cutter. You probably just spray it on. You probably wouldn't get any results trying to burn it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm going to guess it works like gum cutter. You probably just spray it on. You probably wouldn't get any results trying to burn it.

Thats what I was thinking to. But after you spray it on, what do you do, get in there and break it up, or button it back up, and run it to let it clean itself out on our own.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I think I'm going to grab some of those whole house filter setups from The Home Despot or Lowes, filter down to 1 micron - here in Colorado it gets mighty warm so I doubt I'd need to heat the oil much to filter it, figure I roll the 55 gallon drum out into the sun (100'F) let it sit all morning, then start the filtration process. Figure I'll do several barrels before it cools down again and have WMO ready to go for winter.

I figure 50/50 summer and 75/25 for winter. We'll see how it goes.

As far as filtration - I'm going to use metal 55 gallon drums and a 12v diesel pump. I'll rig up a stand with 4"x4"'s to elevate my solar heated oil into a drum 4'-5' off the ground and have it come out a pipe 4" or so from the bottom and hopefully that'll be enough to get it to flow though the 5 micron then the 1 micron - then I'd toss the filtered oil into another 55 gallon drum for storage.

I would bet the magnetic pad type heaters would heat it up, it may take some time, but I bet it would. It would do more good than bad, thats for sure. Espcially if you were looking at running WMO

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking to. But after you spray it on, what do you do, get in there and break it up, or button it back up, and run it to let it clean itself out on our own.

I don't relish the idea of that stuff going down the hole. Not much better than just ice picking it I'd think.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You know what I think? I think the reason that this happens with WMO and not as much with WVO is that most of the earthy crunchy folks that started the alternative fuels movement observed this problem of injector coking with very poorly converted biodiesel and/or WVO run without heat, so quality biodiesel or heated WVO were considered mandatory. I suspect if that WMO were heated to 120-180*F before hitting the injection pump or the PSD injectors it would not be as much of a problem. If its only the fuel system it could be considered a cost of running that free or very cheap fuel, the question is what is it doing to your piston rings and bore?

bingo

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel,
You could just dump a couple of handfuls of bird shot down the intake with it running at about 2000RPM. Probably clean that stuff right out! :)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Let's not forget that his truck is an 83 and the engine is old, used and the fuel system seems to be worn out....I've seen some Detroit's with 1,300,000km on them burning crank case oil like a ******* until they come in for a in-frame....Tear the head off and it's clean....The carbon will only build up so much until it gets so close to the piston that the fire/pressure from the igniting fuel levels it off....ATF and gasoline come to mind as a decent way to clean some of it out....Water injection being the best though....Maybe a high idle with a boiling tea kettle place in front of the air intake for an hour or two would do the trick. :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably possible to rig up a fairly cheap water injection unit for a NA engine. Not really any kits out there for it, water injection would still be a good idea, but I think if you heat the oil you'll not have these problems!

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
how about someone else that has been running a mix of WMO just pull their injectors and take a look?:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I could throw some peaunt shells in there like the jet engine guys do. LOL

2manydsls

Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me is that the buildup only appeared in about half of the cyls. WMO is not cylinder selective so by itself can't be the total problem, unless once the buildup reaches a certain point it burns off by itself. It may take a combination of 2 or more things to cause this condition. Weak or leaking injectors, different compression numbers come to mind.
Ross

sassyrel

Reaction score
mercury carbon cleaner is added to the fuel tank--not sprayed into the intake----have used it before--it works---

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got back from knoxvill tn frome there to here it is 4 hours i had a 50 50 mix the oil was 15-40 rotella i had to clean the injectores when i got there and now i am going to have to clean them again do yall have any answers

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the the injectores had carbon build up it would not get a good spray and smoked like a fraight train after 200 miles i can clean them and it will do fine for another 200 miles anybody had the same problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online