Prechamber coaking due to WMO

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought about something. I bought the truck from my grandpa who used it to tour the country with a 5th wheel. When he was out west, he had running issues and took it to a shop. The shop turned the pump down for the elevation he was at. I've always attributed its high fuel mileage to this change. Maybe thats why they're so clean. The other guys at the shop all looked at me when I let out a YESSSS!!! when I pulled the first injector.cookoo You can even see that the tip of the glow plug is almost white in the 3 cylinders that I checked, like the pocelean of a good running spark plug. what do ya think Mel? I've thought about the coaking of your truck, maybe its caused by the moospump?:dunno

This is in the Moosestang, which runs a stock pump. There would be no point in getting a Moose Pump and then running WMO. It would be like asking Art Arfonz to build you a race engine then run 87 octane gas in it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it would be kind of crazy to risk a Moose Pump on such an experimental cocktail until its perfected, but do you think WMO is really a lower performance fuel than Diesel #2? I hear it has more BTUs/Unit than D2. Justin I'd say your relatively higher Egts are a function of the fact that you have a heavy foot and drive in more rugged terrain than I do, plus its been said that the wastegated turbos do create more back pressure ergo higher EGTs. It is flat as a floor here in Gainesville and on my typical route I'm pretty lucky if I can drive 40-45 mph. When I do get on the highway I hit closer to 500-600+. Also my fuel may not be turned up as much.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well it would be kind of crazy to risk a Moose Pump on such an experimental cocktail until its perfected, but do you think WMO is really a lower performance fuel than Diesel #2? I hear it has more BTUs/Unit than D2. Justin I'd say your relatively higher Egts are a function of the fact that you have a heavy foot and drive in more rugged terrain than I do, plus its been said that the wastegated turbos do create more back pressure ergo higher EGTs. It is flat as a floor here in Gainesville and on my typical route I'm pretty lucky if I can drive 40-45 mph. When I do get on the highway I hit closer to 500-600+. Also my fuel may not be turned up as much.

Thats probably true LOL. It just seems like maintaining 55mph will put me in the 600* range. On flat land I can see 500* at 55mph, down in the valley, so I see what your getting at.

Yeah, I hear WMO has a higher BTU content, but a lower cetane rating than #2. Which to me would mean that you should advance the pump when running WMO.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah or is it the other way around? I remember book specs calling for 2-3 degrees ATDC for luminosity which would mean more retarded than 1.5 right or am I thinking backwards? Something with lower cetane will resist ignition under compression and something with higher cetane will burn more easily with compression only,

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah or is it the other way around? I remember book specs calling for 2-3 degrees ATDC for luminosity which would mean more retarded than 1.5 right or am I thinking backwards? Something with lower cetane will resist ignition under compression and something with higher cetane will burn more easily with compression only,

Yeah, lower cetane will result in resisting ignition, so you would want to advance your pump so it has more time in the cylinder to ignite. Thats my thinking anyway ;Sweet

With higher cetane rating, you would want to retard your pump, because it doesnt need as long to ignite, so you can inject fuel a little bit later.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone had anyluck burning wmo for a long perod of time without any problem eather in years or miles some say there motors are running ruff
i am thinking about bying a ford 7.3 to run wmo but i want some advice from those who have experinced and done it allready thanks

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I haven't been running it very long, but with a 60% oil 40% #2 mix mine runs a lot smoother than on straight #2. Doesn't smoke that much more either. I have yet to try 100% though.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
While we are talking about alternative fuels,
What, if any, are the side effects of mixing used ATF, with used MO, with #2 diesel?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
While we are talking about alternative fuels,
What, if any, are the side effects of mixing used ATF, with used MO, with #2 diesel?

i have started running a mix like this without the diesel and it seems to run well. Mel has mentioned ATF working well in his rig to. EGT's are normal for me to, people say the friction modifiers in the ATF will wreak havoc in parts but i dont see that being the case.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one other thing i found a truck forsale it is a 85 f250 with 89 7.3 with c6 trans 4*4 the price is 2900 what do yall think

snatchal

Reaction score
I run unheated WMO from April until December when it turns too cold. Been doing this for a few years now. Every December I install new glow plugs. If I try to remove the GPs right after running WMO they are coked up and hard to remove. I have also pulled a couple injectors at this same time just to check them and they are all coked up too. This spring I pulled all 8 injectors and GPs to check them out and they were all clean as a whistle. I assume that is because I ran straight diesel with power service additive all winter.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So did you replace your GP's this last December as well or leave them in?

I run unheated WMO from April until December when it turns too cold. Been doing this for a few years now. Every December I install new glow plugs. If I try to remove the GPs right after running WMO they are coked up and hard to remove. I have also pulled a couple injectors at this same time just to check them and they are all coked up too. This spring I pulled all 8 injectors and GPs to check them out and they were all clean as a whistle. I assume that is because I ran straight diesel with power service additive all winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online