Prechamber coaking due to WMO

FordGuy100

Reaction score
All 8 of mine were like the one pictured.:dunno

Thats not good at all....are you heating the oil, besides having it go through the heads? That might be part of it, you would want that oil nice and hot, especially on a cold start. That might be part of it maybe?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
yea i was kinda watching that thread, i wonder. yours was all 8 but mels was only a few.:dunno i would say yours had to do with not having the compression to completely ignite the oil but mel's was in the bore for the inj that dosen't do really anything.

you know that statement makes a really good point but something to think about i dont know if that would be the cause or what
if i want to lower my comp ratio and run wmo lowering my comp ratio may not be the best thing for me then expecily if i want to beat these rising fuel prices

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what I think? I think the reason that this happens with WMO and not as much with WVO is that most of the earthy crunchy folks that started the alternative fuels movement observed this problem of injector coking with very poorly converted biodiesel and/or WVO run without heat, so quality biodiesel or heated WVO were considered mandatory. I suspect if that WMO were heated to 120-180*F before hitting the injection pump or the PSD injectors it would not be as much of a problem. If its only the fuel system it could be considered a cost of running that free or very cheap fuel, the question is what is it doing to your piston rings and bore?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You know what I think? I think the reason that this happens with WMO and not as much with WVO is that most of the earthy crunchy folks that started the alternative fuels movement observed this problem of injector coking with very poorly converted biodiesel and/or WVO run without heat, so quality biodiesel or heated WVO were considered mandatory. I suspect if that WMO were heated to 120-180*F before hitting the injection pump or the PSD injectors it would not be as much of a problem. If its only the fuel system it could be considered a cost of running that free or very cheap fuel, the question is what is it doing to your piston rings and bore?

See the problem I see is that the fuel travles through the head of a PSD (HPOP equiped), so in that case, it will heat up the fuel before it hits the injectors. The real question is, then, on a cold start, how long it would take for the heads to build up heat, and in that time it takes, is that when the carbon is building up.

My logic and reasoning would point me to believe that a cold start with cold WMO is what causes this.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
That will be an on going problem with that no matter what! The reason why..... is because once you worm up your engine and get it hot and then shut it off. All that WMO in the lines/injectors are now going to cook that oil. No different then jet engine. We deal with that all the time with jet engines.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That will be an on going problem with that no matter what! The reason why..... is because once you worm up your engine and get it hot and then shut it off. All that WMO in the lines/injectors are now going to cook that oil. No different then jet engine. We deal with that all the time with jet engines.

Good point. I dont think the oil in the lines would get hot enough to do any damage, but maybe in the injectors. I think maybe just give it a nice cool down, like most do for their turbo's (me included, so it doesnt cook the oil). I wait till at least 300* if I'm in a hurry, or around 250* if I have time to let if idle for a while. At those temps, it would take a while for the oil to absorb the heat and cook I would think....but then again, maybe not :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I was just sitting here, memorizing all the presidents, when I remembered something. WMO for fuel effectivly retards the timing, right? If it does, and you didnt compensate for that by advancing the timing, maybe, just maybe that is what is causing this carbon buildup, because of a less complete burn?

Just a theory...

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've located a number of sources for WMO and I am considering starting to use it in my truck. I was thinking about doing a WVO retrofit on one of my tanks (rear 45 gallon) - and I was wondering, would having a heated fuel line be bad if I wanted to use regular diesel in the tank I'd normally have WVO/WMO? There shouldn't be an issue - correct ?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've located a number of sources for WMO and I am considering starting to use it in my truck. I was thinking about doing a WVO retrofit on one of my tanks (rear 45 gallon) - and I was wondering, would having a heated fuel line be bad if I wanted to use regular diesel in the tank I'd normally have WVO/WMO? There shouldn't be an issue - correct ?

Yeah, should be fine. They generally heat to around 180*, so its not like diesel will ignite at that temp, so you should be good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you could make some sort of a valve to shutoff the hot coolant from heating that tank if for some reason you wanted it closer to ambient temps, however, I'm with Justin on this one I'm pretty sure 180 would be just fine even for regular diesel or biodiesel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford Guy.... Mercury Outboard Carbon remover is what some have used to remove the carbon in the precups. Seems to work too. Just ask Cndairguy on the other site.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ford Guy.... Mercury Outboard Carbon remover is what some have used to remove the carbon in the precups. Seems to work too. Just ask Cndairguy on the other site.

Do you just add it to the tank to burn, or do you have to pop out the injectors or glowplugs, and soak the cylinders? How much is it? This would be nice to use if there was no drawbacks ;Sweet

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I was thinking of using one of the in-line fuel line heaters, not to have to toss something in the tank itself. I'd also consider one of those magnetic pad types, but I doubt it would transfer much heat to the tank in sub-zero weather.

I bet you could make some sort of a valve to shutoff the hot coolant from heating that tank if for some reason you wanted it closer to ambient temps, however, I'm with Justin on this one I'm pretty sure 180 would be just fine even for regular diesel or biodiesel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was thinking of using one of the in-line fuel line heaters, not to have to toss something in the tank itself. I'd also consider one of those magnetic pad types, but I doubt it would transfer much heat to the tank in sub-zero weather.

I would bet the magnetic pad type heaters would heat it up, it may take some time, but I bet it would. It would do more good than bad, thats for sure. Espcially if you were looking at running WMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online