Power steering diminished after hydro-boost conversion

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'94 F350 Crew cab, 7.3 idiT Dually.

I found the best way to bleed a Ford P/S system with the electric ratchet and a bolt in the nose of the pump. It turns slow enough to purge the air bubbles without foaming up. Be sure to turn the steering wheel also as you do this, generally a second person is needed for this.

So I fired it up and had zero steering whine with a firm brake pedal, braking feel is better and stopping distance is diminished.
However.
Stepping on the brake pedal causes a slight loss of power assist on steering at speed, and nearly zero assist at parking lot speed.
Oh you frikin' Fracken' Steeremburger' pile of sh- bolts.

The P/S res has two return ports on the reservoir. One on the bottom going to the return line and cooler. the other one at the bottom of the fill neck which is plumbed into the Hydro-boost return line.

Rebuilt Motorcrapt pump is garbage? Sure is nice Ford decided NOT to use Saginaw self bleeding pumps.
Yes, I saw the posting on the Saginaw pump awhile ago somewhere around here.
I really don't desire to go that direction considering I might need this truck for as road trip in two days.

Do I need a '99 F450 P/S pump?
'99 being the first year of F450 hydroboost according to Rock-auto catalog, if memory serves.

Reminds me of the reported three Pilots who bounced the tail end of the bird off the end of the Runway.
"We tu Low"
"Ho Wee ****"
"Sum Tin Wong"

Call me exasperated.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I looked at the '99 F450 in Rockauto, found a pump with the dual return ports, rated over 8500 GVW and $146 later not including shipping, it is on it's way.
The truck has taken up residence in the driveway and waits for the "Rush 3 day(?)" delivery.
At least I have recent experience with installing the last pump. Flush that money down the scrap pile.
Guess I will return that as the core charge for this next pump.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Interesting. When I hydroboosted my '95 f350 I kept the same pump. Didn't notice a change in steering effort despite running 35's.

Maybe a bad pump? Will the newer pump fit the IDiT?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was an aftermarket rebuilt whatever pump. I was hoping, without the spec sheet for that pump, it would be adequate with the OEM reservoir dual returns.
Uh, not quite?
So now with a rebuilt '99 F450 Motorcrapt on the way, the problem may go away. The pump 3 ears appear to be the same design as the current mount.
I figure around Wednesday afternoon, I should be able to figure it out real good when it arrives.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the problem persists, you can try what I did with mine, I drilled the fitting slightly and used a pressure relief valve from a Saginaw pump. I can find the details if you need them.

I have no issues on my F350, but my Silverado acts just like yours does now.....

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since you offered, I should take you up on it. Nasty part is I disposed of all my excess Saginaw pumps a long time ago. Got a source for the valve also?
Thank you in advance!!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think with hydroboost and the Ford C-2 pump, you can see a bit if a decrease in the power steering at idle. My 03 Excursion 6.0 with Factory Hydroboost has done this since I bought it. Had less than 70k on it. In a parking lot with your foot on the brake, the steering assist is minimal... but take your foot off the brake and let it just roll and the steering assist is normal.... just the nature of the beast. I believe there is a priority setup in the hydroboost that the brakes get power before the steering.....

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid flow goes to the brakes first, then the steering. Steering should improve with a higher pressure pump.
I believe the common pump is 4 PSI and the high output is 6 PSI.
Now if i could remember where I saw that info, it might have helped before I blindly plunked down another *** of cash on a shot in the dark.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the posting on the Saginaw pump awhile ago somewhere around here.

It might had been the one I made, @Cubey did bring up a braket that is bolt in so dont have to hack up a bracket like I did.

One pump to rule them all

In a parking lot with your foot on the brake, the steering assist is minimal... but take your foot off the brake and let it just roll and the steering assist is normal....

Not when you have a sag pump, you can pinky steer while at a stop with foot moderate to light on the brakes.

I found the best way to bleed a Ford P/S system with the electric ratchet and a bolt in the nose of the pump

That is a bit much effort to get a air free system, I dont need to do any that. All that is need on mine is to bleed between the reservoir and pump, that is just a shot of air in the drain hose to get it flowing.

If the problem persists, you can try what I did with mine, I drilled the fitting slightly and used a pressure relief valve from a Saginaw pump. I can find the details if you need them.

Steering should improve with a higher pressure pump.
I believe the common pump is 4 PSI and the high output is 6 PSI.

The CII pump is at or below 900psi and the base sag pump is around 1100psi while the hydro ones get up to 1450psi.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since you offered, I should take you up on it. Nasty part is I disposed of all my excess Saginaw pumps a long time ago. Got a source for the valve also?
Thank you in advance!!

This is the writeup I based everything off of:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/

All I did was removed any washers from the pressure valve, and drilled the fitting out. I think I did 5/32 but I don't remember for sure.

Steering is much easier, I had forgotten until I got my F250 and realized how stiff the steering was in that stock 250 compared to my Dually!

I don't have a source for the valve apart from junkyards, I know Summit Racing has a valve that sounds like it's supposed to do the same thing, I bought one for my 250 but haven't installed it yet so I can't say if it works or not.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That writeup is great. 8 years ago! So many possible mods to make to the pump

Just about to fire up my hydroboost for the first time. No mods. Shade tree return port. Will see how it goes

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a spin on filter head in the return/bypass line. Between the filtration and the extra capacity it's kept the fluid red, got rid of all the PS noise, and steering while braking is no issue.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a F-Superduty hydro booster in my 91, the original style power steering pump was pretty fresh so I just got a 2 return nipple reservoir for it. Works perfectly no whining no loss of steering. Been a couple years very happy. Found out the pump is the same up to 03 on the diesels. And all the 99-03 7.3 diesels have the pump or just the reservoir we need.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just install hydroboost. Old pump is whining a bit and steering suffers when mashing on the brakes.

I installed a spin on filter head in the return/bypass line. Between the filtration and the extra capacity it's kept the fluid red, got rid of all the PS noise, and steering while braking is no issue.

Crazy the filter got rid if the noise. Curious. You install it on the hydroboost return line or the steering gear return line?

Last edited: