Picked up the Parts Truck

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks to Ron for helping me out with the trip an picking up the truck ;Sweet
We left his house at about 4:AM and headed out for Greencastle IN about a 5 hour drive.

We got there and the truck was all that the seller said it was. The motor looks fresh and dry with the Jasper stickers on it. No injection pump, it went out on him, he sent it out to get rebuilt and never got it back.

But the nice thing about the truck,....Check out the STACK!!!:thumbsup: :dunno cookoo

We got back to his house by 2pm, and back to the lot by 3PM.

Probablly gonna pull the motor tomorrow and hope to install it by the weekend.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 39
  • SV500002.JPG
    SV500002.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SV500003.JPG
    SV500003.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 44
  • SV500004.JPG
    SV500004.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 44
  • SV500006.JPG
    SV500006.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 22
  • SV500008.JPG
    SV500008.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SV500010.JPG
    SV500010.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 40

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Given the pump was pulled improperly, one might wonder if the diagnosis was bad in the first place. Here's hoping. You obviously will not be using any of those injectors either. :rolleyes: Just so happens I think I know where there may be a pump suitable for big Ed. :angel:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
mmm...flatbed

I will take a better look and better pics of the flatbed it seems in good shape but does have rust on some of the underside rails. I will let you know.

Ouch. Given the pump was pulled improperly, one might wonder if the diagnosis was bad in the first place. Here's hoping. You obviously will not be using any of those injectors either. Just so happens I think I know where there may be a pump suitable for big Ed

;Sweet pmsent

So what would you suggest for getting the pump back on time without having to take the front of the motor off to see the timing marks..:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel has a really great write up with pictures on how to time the gears without removing the front cover. too bad the po pulled the injection gear tower to remove the pump. That shows just how much some owners don't know about the mechanics of these simple motors. As posted, the injectors need to go. Or take a chance and run them. Then if any are dirty just change them all out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel has a really great write up with pictures on how to time the gears without removing the front cover. too bad the po pulled the injection gear tower to remove the pump. That shows just how much some owners don't know about the mechanics of these simple motors. As posted, the injectors need to go. Or take a chance and run them. Then if any are dirty just change them all out.

Sorry. I can't take the credit for that one. That's Ziggsters masterpiece. ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
Thanks to Ron for helping me out with the trip an picking up the truck ;Sweet
We left his house at about 4:AM and headed out for Greencastle IN about a 5 hour drive.

We got there and the truck was all that the seller said it was. The motor looks fresh and dry with the Jasper stickers on it. No injection pump, it went out on him, he sent it out to get rebuilt and never got it back.

But the nice thing about the truck,....Check out the STACK!!!:thumbsup: :dunno cookoo

We got back to his house by 2pm, and back to the lot by 3PM.

Was no problem ther hound, thankyou!:hail
And I must say that was one long fun filled day. Even with Lola telling us where to go.;Sweet

Oh Darrin you forgot to add in the White Castle stop along the way.

And I quote..." What was that? I can't hear you cause of the guy with the weed whacker":rotflmao :rotflmao

Was a fun trip overall and that dang hound got another fuel filter.cookoo

I'd love to hear that thing whistle with the stack. Prolly shoot a golf ball 50 yards.:thumbsup:

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Glad to hear the trip went well boy's, Darrin you might consider putting your pump and injectors on while it's still in the flat bed and going for a test drive to make sure the motor is good before the swap. How did the powerstroke run for you?:D

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used a small strip of polished alumnium (neat little mirror)that I bent to slip between the gear and cover and had a buddy bar the motor over till I found the dots on the cam gear.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Aww you buthead. You put my retard woohoo thumbs up shot in there.:rotflmao

Great there goes the neighborhood.:dunno

Well at leat it's a straight truck.LOL

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel

Sorry. I can't take the credit for that one. That's Ziggsters masterpiece.

:hail :hail

Heck, just the other day, I realized that there is a real easy way to figure out TDC(as long as the pump cover is still on). You simply open up the oil fill spout, bar the engine over, till the mark on the dampener is about 2" past the line on the cover, and then look into the oil fill tube. You should be able to see the marks on the inj. pump gear(you might have to wipe the gear with a rag to see them). If you see a dot, then the #1 piston is at the top of (or just past) exhaust stroke. If you see a "Y" mark, then #1 is just past TDC. Bar the engine back till the line on the dampener matches the "0" on the plate, and viola, you got TDC!!

I have used a small strip of polished alumnium (neat little mirror)that I bent to slip between the gear and cover and had a buddy bar the motor over till I found the dots on the cam gear.

Just a reminder. The dots on the cam gear are to line up the cam gear with the crankshaft. You must align the "y" mark on the cam gear with the inj. pump gear to get the timing right. See picture below!!

Zigg :)

Attachments

• Timing%20marks.jpg
    Timing%20marks.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 24

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Oh Darrin you forgot to add in the White Castle stop along the way.

-Drool sounds good right about now,.. but we paid for it later!:D

Was a fun trip overall and that dang hound got another fuel filter

I have owned an IDI truck for over 7 years and have only had to buy ONE fuel filter. I had no idea those things were $32.00 at Napa my cost! So it was nice to get another free one,..!:thumbsup:

Glad to hear the trip went well boy's, Darrin you might consider putting your pump and injectors on while it's still in the flat bed and going for a test drive to make sure the motor is good before the swap. How did the powerstroke run for you?

Thanks Tim, The 97 PSD Did great, we got 16 MPG with it on the way down, bout 13 on the way back. It has the Banks power upgrades so we had plenty of power, even with the 355 gears. Overall not bad for a 270K mile truck!
I was think about getting it running but I am just goung to pull it and get it ready to drop in. I am a risk taker. We were able to turn the key and craknk ot over and it sounded good and tight.

Great Idea, Thank for the tip. :thumbsup:

Hey Zigg I will check out your article, thanks pic. I also have a couple of motors in different stages of a teardown so I have the oportunity to look at plenty of parts.

Later!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darrin, its off topic, but look up fleetfilter.com the napa/wix stuff is a heck of a lot cheaper over there. Glad you got that motor good luck for a clean install. I guess new G code injectors means a factory turbo pump is on the way as well?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Took the family to White Castle over the IDI Weekend. First time for the boys that they remember. We made out fine, but I remember Ron telling me he didn't sleep so good that night. Was this a double redundancy check? LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online