Ouch! 2 bills to test my IP

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There has got to be a cheaper way of testing a IP than spending 75,000 on used equipment I'd think...

All you'd have to do is +12v to the fuel solenoid, and turn the IP over at certain RPM's then test the injector output.
Couldn't you have 8 glass jars setup to a set of known good injectors,and see if they all fill at the same rate?

Then try at different speeds,etc.

This is just me thinking out loud,but these pumps aren't exactly cutting-edge or super advanced from what I understand..
I'm just saying there's got to be another way.
In a way, that's how they're tested.
One thing I've never seen one test for is heat soak. But that wouldn't be too hard to replicate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is.............

Put in new Conestoga injectors, a good filter, and a new fuel pump, time it and ask yourself "does it still run like ****?" :rotflmao

I wonder if your 200 included them fully cleaning the pump inside and out prior to testing?

That's what I should have done.
He said "inspect and test" the pump. If it was my big $ equipment you'd better believe I'd clean the pump!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because it starts and runs doesnt mean it will perform well. The dually started and ran fine, the advance was totally screwed up/worn out, no power, poor mileage.
reman pump, runs awesome.

But hey, that may be "good enough" for some folks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The really sad part of our injection system is we only feel the difference when we replace the pump and injectors. they degrade so slowly it most difficult to feel the change from good to bad.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that the only thing your shop did wrong, was accept your request to test it. Honestly, if you were talking to me, I would have talked you out of it, because like your shop did, I'd have to charge you an hour labor, and a $50 bench fee. With tax and/or shipping, it would be $200 from me too. Here is the thing, with a conversation, I would have learned how many miles were on your pump, what it was doing, and I could have advised you what was going on without testing it. Not only that, but I would have told you that the likely-hood of finding a problem with it was very high, and now, not only are you buying a new pump, but throwing that testing fee money away. The pump does have to be squeaky clean to go on the test bench. There would be new seals involved and you'd still end up with a used pump that probably has lots of wear in it.