Ouch! 2 bills to test my IP

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got charged $200 for an IP test! The shop has been around for ever, I used them for labor when I was a nube. Anyway, he swears "up and down" that he told me the price. It's hard to believe that he's lying ... also hard to believe I didn't hear him.
Of course he waives the test fee if I decide to rebuild the pump, which he says is necessary.
So how bad did I get screwed?
I guess I'll chalk this up to a lesson I've had a hard time learning: Never do "bidness" without documentation. The days of "hand shake deals" are gone.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really sounds like this "shop" is on hard times. I doubt you missed the charge too. Now lets see how the work turns out.
The Honda dealership I use for the Accord tells me the same thing. We test to determine the issues. you decide NOT to do the repairs you pay the fee. you let us do the repairs and the fee is waved. They got me goot one time replacing a mas air flow sender. charge was parts plus 150 bucks labor. The sender was 2 small screws on top of the throttle body. Remove one electrical plug and remove 2 screws...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OUCH
And no vasaliene....
What is involved in an " ip test"????
Cannot be cost effictive when compared to a rebuild price....
Wonder what russ and mel say.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OUCH
And no vasaliene....
What is involved in an " ip test"????
Cannot be cost effictive when compared to a rebuild price....
Wonder what russ and mel say.

Exactly! I even asked him if that included a tub of Vaseline! He didn't laugh ... no sense of humor I guess.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the other perspective. Were you trying to get a free ip test?
Why did you go to the shop if you dont want to pay for them to fix it? Sounds like they do a $200 deposit so no one gets free inspections.

I used to take my knowingly bad car into a shop for an alignment. They would tell me everything that needed to be replaced before I could get an alignment. I would then take it home and do all the repairs. Im not proud of it, but yeah, I was using the shop for a free inspection. Without vaseline for them either.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the other perspective. Were you trying to get a free ip test?
Why did you go to the shop if you dont want to pay for them to fix it? Sounds like they do a $200 deposit so no one gets free inspections.

I used to take my knowingly bad car into a shop for an alignment. They would tell me everything that needed to be replaced before I could get an alignment. I would then take it home and do all the repairs. Im not proud of it, but yeah, I was using the shop for a free inspection. Without vaseline for them either.

Thank you for your point of view. Maybe they are jaded from gettin' screwed. I wouldn't mind paying for an hour of shop time...$200 seems high to me though. An alignment check at my favorite shop is $35.00.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I feel like you're complaining about nothing.
If they did a proper test, that equipment ain't cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like you're complaining about nothing.
If they did a proper test, that equipment ain't cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Maybe you're right. Alignment equipment ain't cheap either and a "check" is $35.
The real point, whether I'm "crying about nothing" or not, is: If it cost's 2 bills to check a "suspect" pump you'd probably be better off just sending it to someone you trust for a rebuild. As opposed to what I did.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Texas, but in Commiefornia it is illegal to work on a car without a written estimate. It still gets done, but it is very pricey if they get caught. A friend is a master mechanic and he is constantly fighting his location manager to get the lube techs to write up estimates. It really sucks when people don't do things they are supposed to do just because they are just lazy!!!!!!!!!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine why they tested it. A used pump will contaminate the test fluid, the shop I use does not test used pumps for this reason. If you thought there was a problem, there likely was/is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I cant imagine why they tested it. A used pump will contaminate the test fluid, the shop I use does not test used pumps for this reason. If you thought there was a problem, there likely was/is.

I had a very well known injection pump shop tell me this same thing as did Mel once too. A good used test machine is $75,000.00. I believe new is near $200,000.00. Running a pump that is "putting out dirt" is going to ruin the test fluid and possibly the machine too.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a very well known injection pump shop tell me this same thing as did Mel once too. A good used test machine is $75,000.00. I believe new is near $200,000.00. Running a pump that is "putting out dirt" is going to ruin the test fluid and possibly the machine too.

WOW! Nearly a 1/4 mil? I had no clue! Thank you for the insight.

For that kind of money, and if I were smart enough, I'd figure out how to "flush" the pump prior to testing.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has got to be a cheaper way of testing a IP than spending 75,000 on used equipment I'd think...

All you'd have to do is +12v to the fuel solenoid, and turn the IP over at certain RPM's then test the injector output.
Couldn't you have 8 glass jars setup to a set of known good injectors,and see if they all fill at the same rate?

Then try at different speeds,etc.

This is just me thinking out loud,but these pumps aren't exactly cutting-edge or super advanced from what I understand..
I'm just saying there's got to be another way.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
There has got to be a cheaper way of testing a IP than spending 75,000 on used equipment I'd think...

There is.............

Put in new Conestoga injectors, a good filter, and a new fuel pump, time it and ask yourself "does it still run like ****?" :rotflmao

I wonder if your 200 included them fully cleaning the pump inside and out prior to testing?

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I meant actual test equipment. But that raises another point, you could just have a spare 6.9/7.3 ready to go on a stand as a test bench as well. Couple ways to skin a cat