On the fence about tires (yep, another tire thread)

smithman

Reaction score
I'm planning to put duratracs on my rig this year. My buddy has them and they look awesome, grip well, and aren't as loud as you might expect.

Another notable tire that I want to mention: We had an AWD Ford escape that ran regularly rotated firestone destination A/T tires. We put 95k on them and ultimately sold the vehicle with 6/32s of tread left! At that rate those tires would be capable of about 120k...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to need new tires on my F350 before winter. I am kind of diggin' these:
https://www.simpletire.com/mastercraft-lt255-85r16-90000025793-tires

I have these now and they are awesome in the snow and ice:
https://www.simpletire.com/cooper-lt235-85r16-90000022188-tires

Mastercraft is a division of Cooper so I'm sure they're decent tires. I've considered those particular tires myself but I don't really need tires quite that aggressive on this truck.

Those ATWs look a lot like the AT3s I'll be getting.

I'm planning to put duratracs on my rig this year. My buddy has them and they look awesome, grip well, and aren't as loud as you might expect.

Another notable tire that I want to mention: We had an AWD Ford escape that ran regularly rotated firestone destination A/T tires. We put 95k on them and ultimately sold the vehicle with 6/32s of tread left! At that rate those tires would be capable of about 120k...

Yeah I've got the duratracs on my Jeep but haven't run them in the snow yet.

Those Destination AT are highly recommended by Snicklas here on the board and are what I've had on the steer axle for a couple years now. I'm happy with them there.

31 AA

Reaction score
I’m in Florida no snow to deal with,BUT when it rains down here the roads get slick as ice. Had a f350 460 4x4 short wheel base 35ft goose neck (5000 lbs empty) and 9k of machine plus buckets (1500 lbs)plus 7k for the truck.stopping on a dime was not an option! Tires were/are very important high road heat,job site hazards and snowbirds(stop when ever no signal types). In 04 tried a set of Michelins and never looked back.wore like iron and didn’t slide through intersections. Yes very pricey for 6 ,but not having any accidents or blow outs priceless. Ran other brands cheap mid price always had an issue. Question you need to ask is what do you expect from the tries and your Application? Then get the best you can get/afford. In my case it was stopping/ware.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Transforce AT ll is a 65,000 mile tire. I have had exceptional luck with them on my service truck. Duratracs will wear out in 30,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Daddyoh

Reaction score
So since I blew out a few tires on this last trip I'm going to need to buy some soon, probably before winter. I've narrowed it down but I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get.

These are for my Dually. I run empty most of the time, it's my daily for now. I do tow on and off, trailer fully loaded is anywhere from 4,000# to 9,000# I'm running 235/85r16

In order of cost...

Uniroyal Laredo HD/T (more of a winter tire) about $170/ea
Firestone Transforce AT2 (not very aggressive) about $200/ea
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (pretty aggressive) about $205/ea

I know absolutely nothing about the Uniroyal tires. They look like a good choice, but really almost no reviews online.

The Firestones are the same thing I have on the front. My only concern is I'm 2wd for now and I hate getting stuck. I occasionally have to go through a field and I'm concerned they may fill up with mud and just spin.

The duratracs are highly recommended, but don't match my steer tires, and are slightly more expensive. Seem to be plenty aggressive though.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hi.

I have a 1995 K1500 EXT 6.5 TD I was also looking for tires and went to Walmart.com. Where I found several E rated tires to replace my old tires. I purchased Falken Wildpeak A/T3W All-Terrain Tire - 265/70R16 112T $120.00 ea b4 installation which also sold in 75 series.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Cooper AT3s on my escape the past 2 yrs and they have done great so far. They have been awesome in the snow even with only fwd working on the escape. Btw cooper is running a buy 4 get a $70 mail in rebate right now. You might want to check into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

pafixitman

Reaction score

Have those on the GMC. Only have about 10k on them but very pleased with 'em.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Cooper AT3s on my escape the past 2 yrs and they have done great so far. They have been awesome in the snow even with only fwd working on the escape. Btw cooper is running a buy 4 get a $70 mail in rebate right now. You might want to check into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I've been looking for a promotion but I haven't been able to find it. Might be local to you and not me perhaps? I'll check again.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran Bridgestone dueler AT’s on my half ton. Went like a tank. Wear was just average at best though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a 1995 K1500 EXT 6.5 TD I was also looking for tires and went to Walmart.com. Where I found several E rated tires to replace my old tires. I purchased Falken Wildpeak A/T3W All-Terrain Tire - 265/70R16 112T $120.00 ea b4 installation which also sold in 75 series.
So can you give us your impression of them? How many miles do you have on them? How do you like them? Do they seem to have good wear quality? I'm always interested in learning about new tire options. I'm still leaning toward the Ironman tires, especially after this last Saturday. I found out that my friend with the 1994 F250, 4x4, Ex cab, 7.3 PSD put these on his truck. he said he has about 10,000 miles on them now. There's no apparent wear, he really likes them. His last ones were wearing out fairly quickly, but these aren't. He hasn't touched any front end parts yet.