On the fence about tires (yep, another tire thread)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So since I blew out a few tires on this last trip I'm going to need to buy some soon, probably before winter. I've narrowed it down but I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get.

These are for my Dually. I run empty most of the time, it's my daily for now. I do tow on and off, trailer fully loaded is anywhere from 4,000# to 9,000# I'm running 235/85r16

In order of cost...

Uniroyal Laredo HD/T (more of a winter tire) about $170/ea
Firestone Transforce AT2 (not very aggressive) about $200/ea
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (pretty aggressive) about $205/ea

I know absolutely nothing about the Uniroyal tires. They look like a good choice, but really almost no reviews online.

The Firestones are the same thing I have on the front. My only concern is I'm 2wd for now and I hate getting stuck. I occasionally have to go through a field and I'm concerned they may fill up with mud and just spin.

The duratracs are highly recommended, but don't match my steer tires, and are slightly more expensive. Seem to be plenty aggressive though.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper discover AT3 are a possibility too but I haven't priced them yet.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the boat I need new tires but trying to weigh cost over wear, I have a spare 245/85/16 seems to hold better then 235 but the cost is more then 235 and reviews are all over the map.

I differently following

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a set of Goodyear SRA tires 265-75-R16 Just under $610.00 delivered to house. (Discount Tire). 50,000 tread warranty, looks like it they will be very quiet.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can always go slightly taller....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah but anything taller than 235/85 will be too wide for my duals and rub. They don't make a 235/95 or anything like that.

Just bought a set of Goodyear SRA tires 265-75-R16 Just under $610.00 delivered to house. (Discount Tire). 50,000 tread warranty, looks like it they will be very quiet.

They look decent but they're more of a highway tread than an AT.

I'm in the boat I need new tires but trying to weigh cost over wear, I have a spare 245/85/16 seems to hold better then 235 but the cost is more then 235 and reviews are all over the map.

I differently following

245/85 or 245/75? I've never heard of a 245/85 but that doesn't mean anything lol.

You might want to look at 265/75/16 as well. Slightly wider but the same height as the 235/85/16 I prefer a wider tire on my SRW vehicles. The narrow ones always feel a little squirrely.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I love Transforce A/T’s. I’ve liked them so well, Dad and I have bought several sets (due to wearing them out, not because of problems). The only times my Excursion has been hung up was once I was not with the truck, and the wife took the kids to the fair and got hung up in the mud pit of a parking lot. Was it truely stuck, I don’t know, but she didn’t want to break anything, so she had someone give her a slight tug and was going. I might have been able to get it out, but don’t know. The other time I got hung up was because I had a lockout fail and didn’t know it. Stop moving in the yard, hit the magic button and didn’t move. Rear just dug holes. The front wouldn’t pull. Found an exploded lockout. If it would have engaged, I would have driven out. Both times were in areas with standing water, and the truck shouldn’t have been there.... they also are long wearing, I don’t think we’ve gotten less than 65,000 miles from a set. The last ones on the Excursion were closer to 90 if I remember right.

In my opinion, Firestone is making a good tire. When I had to put tires in the Infiniti, it got a set of Destinations....and the F-150 will probably get a set of Destinations when the time comes. It had a fairly new set of Ironman on it and they have a lot of life left.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@snicklas Yeah you're the reason I bought them for the front. Truthfully if I had my 4wd swap done I'd just buy them and call it a day.

The only problem is, one of the places I'm at a few times a year is a "mud pit of a parking lot" and typically with a trailer. I'm just trying to lower my chances of getting stuck. I seem to be pretty good at it with this truck haha.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General AT’s? @no mufflers is running them on his truck. I’ve got highway generals on mine with no issues so far. I put generals on the wife’s car too. So far so good.

Years ago I had a set of uniroyals on a 1500 gmc. They went all oval on me for some reason. Don’t know what the deal was with that. Uniroyal I think is a Michelin company just like BFG for what that’s worth good or bad.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General AT’s? @no mufflers is running them on his truck. I’ve got highway generals on mine with no issues so far. I put generals on the wife’s car too. So far so good.

Years ago I had a set of uniroyals on a 1500 gmc. They went all oval on me for some reason. Don’t know what the deal was with that. Uniroyal I think is a Michelin company just like BFG for what that’s worth good or bad.

That's the only uniroyal feedback I've gotten haha. Makes me lean towards the Duratracs.

I had a set of the General Grabber AT2 on my Chevy at one point. Didn't care too much for them but to be fair, they were about 70% worn out. I'm curious what he has to say about them.

Shame I want to do this 4wd swap right, it would be an easier decision if I wanted to just slap this together quick and then traction wouldn't be a big deal....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just put on some Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunners on our van. They ride and drive fine, too new to know much about them though. $160/tire for 235/85's, plus some rebates.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but anything taller than 235/85 will be too wide for my duals and rub. They don't make a 235/95 or anything like that.

They look decent but they're more of a highway tread than an AT.

245/85 or 245/75? I've never heard of a 245/85 but that doesn't mean anything lol.

You might want to look at 265/75/16 as well. Slightly wider but the same height as the 235/85/16 I prefer a wider tire on my SRW vehicles. The narrow ones always feel a little squirrely.

Your correct sir 245/75/16 here is a pic of one spare I have.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put on some Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunners on our van. They ride and drive fine, too new to know much about them though. $160/tire for 235/85's, plus some rebates.

That might be worth looking at. They're similar to the firestone ones but a good bit cheaper. I'm really leaning towards the duratracs but that's a decent chunk of money too. The prices I posted were tires only online. I got a quote locally for $231 installed for the duratracs or $200 installed for the firestone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online