On the fence about tires (yep, another tire thread)

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up to 255/85 from my research has been know to work on obs trucks with enough clearance to function loaded. Although I have no data on Wich wheels they were on.

If you are wanting to stay with the 235 and keep a slightly more aggressive tread Last time I looked khumo road venture at was competitive as well. Had good luck there, although they still won't match, if you are super concerned about it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That review is from a decade ago so take it for what it’s worth. Few years before that I had a set of Laredo s on my 88 and they were great hence why I went with them.

Like I said, very old info.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, LT225/75/16 will be the best cheapest bet ( from what I remember, Used to work at a tire shop ) and most wide range. I'm sure I'll get some flak for this, if you aren't hot shotting, or pushing the upper limits of these tires, A tire, Is a tire. The only thing that truly matters is the tread pattern, Want some quiet H/T, or some decent A/T for a little extra off road traction, or go with the noisy M/T? Unless you want something very specific that works at the "highest percentile" A tire is a tire.

I'm going with Falken A/T tires next time instead of these Toyo H/T because I need that extra dirt traction. They're also one of the cheapest All terrains, and I don't tow more than 8000# on average.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, LT225/75/16 will be the best cheapest bet

Well the problem with that is I'd have to buy six but I only need four haha. Those are way smaller than the 235/85/16 I have now. I know because that's whats on my Cherokee (yes, load range E on a Cherokee, got them cheap from a friend). I considered running them but they just look too small to me.

A tire, Is a tire. The only thing that truly matters is the tread pattern

That's true... To a point. That's why I won't spend the money on the Michelin XPS or the Toyo M55. That being said overly cheap tires just don't last as well as decent tires. Doesn't matter to those "new car every couple of years" folks, but when I buy a set of tires, I expect to get my money's worth. Nothing will frustrate you like only getting a year out of a set of cheap tires!

I'm not so much arguing with you, you do make a valid point, but as cheap as I am, I've found some things are worth a little extra money up front.

I'm going with Falken A/T tires next time instead of these Toyo H/T because I need that extra dirt traction.

I've seen them but haven't given them a good look. Maybe I'll look at them a little more.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true... To a point. That's why I won't spend the money on the Michelin XPS or the Toyo M55. That being said overly cheap tires just don't last as well as decent tires. Doesn't matter to those "new car every couple of years" folks, but when I buy a set of tires, I expect to get my money's worth. Nothing will frustrate you like only getting a year out of a set of cheap tires!

I'm not so much arguing with you, you do make a valid point, but as cheap as I am, I've found some things are worth a little extra money up front.

Oh no trust me there is a point that being cheap will cost you more money in the long run, but as long as it's a fairly recognized brand, and not just some "westlakes" or "GOODRIDES" ( Yes that's a tire brand. ) it should be more than sufficient. My uncle only buys the best Goodyears for his dually, he gets about 60-70k out of them, but spends... an absolute absurd amount of money.

For the most part thankfully, no really JUNK tire brands make a tire rated for our trucks. Shop around, go to a mom and pop tire place sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll cut you a deal, they get tires much cheaper than we can, and most of the time they just want the labor + 20$ a piece. This will vary.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put general grabber at2 on a '10 4 door Z71 and got 75k on them. I just put them on everything unless I'm going for a certain look.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet deal! I've been hearing so much good about Coopers in the last few years and need tires badly...thanks for doing the legwork on this. 60,000 mi warranty to boot!

No problem haha

Yeah I loved the old Cooper STT on my Chevy. Couldn't get that thing stuck!

pafixitman

Reaction score
A while back I was talking about tires with Calvin and he recommended Ironman All Country from Tirebuyer.com
https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/ironman/all-country-a-t/p/TV153000787

235/85/16 at $100.99 each.

Have not bought them so I have no opinion on them. The price is good. My Firestone store turns his nose up at me buying them and having them shipped directly to him since he makes no money on the tire. I also know Walmart will install non purchased tires pretty cheap...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those are good looking tires at a fantastic price. I may just have to try some of those the next time I need some tires on my truck.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few guys that say they're good in the snow. I'm going to ask because sometimes they do a rebate on a set of 4. I'd hate to buy them a week before a rebate comes out!

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a random ? How and why are 245/75/16's cheaper on tirebuyer or tire rack then 235/75/16 and would a set of 33 12.5 general grabber fit our idi trucks with no modifications. Had a set offered to be for $250 almost brand new from a f150 that a guy at work bought 20 street tires for company paid.