O.E. Radio Qusestion ...1988

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The (back-light) for my LED read-out on my OE am/fm just stopped working :rolleyes: however, the radio still works fine.

Question...anyone know (if) there's a replaceable bulb in there?

Also whats the drama getting that sucker out, I've never had to pull (that) radio, does that simulated wood trim ring around the radio a/c, heater etc just pop-off for access to the radio?
Thanks for any info

Last edited:

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Yes, there is just a little dark sucker in there. I have changed them before but can't remember how. and yes again, the trim piece that surrounds the radio just pulls off.
Tim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your in luck Ray. The Bronco had the same problem. The bulb is a #74 I belive, and it is pretty small. Remove the trim from around the radio/climate control area. I believe it has spring clips that hold it in at the top, and is hinged on the bottom. It might have clips all the way around. All I had to do to get it off, was just grab it. Once behind there, take the screws loose that hold the mounting ears to the frame. The back of the radio will slide out on a track like thingy. Disconnect the wires and antenna, and take it to your work bench. You will need to remove the top cover, which is held in place by a number of small screws. The ones to remove are pretty obvious. Once the lid is removed, the bulb is in a socket which is a twist-lock style. Simply rotate it counter-clockwise and it will unlatch. Swap the bulb with a good one and reassemble.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback (brothers) ;Sweet
I believe I'll need that fork tool to unlock/slide the unit out...no?
Thanks again...great bunch you are. :thumbsup:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hmmm, :rolleyes:
Would be a good time to drop in a new Pioneer or a Sony without the boss watchin... ;Really
Or some sattelite tune too. ;Sweet

Ya gott agree with Tim. the dark sucker went bad. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Hmmm, :rolleyes:
Would be a good time to drop in a new Pioneer or a Sony without the boss watchin... ;Really
Or some sattelite tune too. ;Sweet
10-4 there! My Clarion doesn't have satellite capability, but it's nice to play mp3's :thumbsup: I just need to get good speakers in the truck now... :D

Ya gott agree with Tim. the dark sucker went bad. :D
Dark suckers don't go bad; they just get full! LOL LOL LOL

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Thanks for the feedback (brothers) ;Sweet
I believe I'll need that fork tool to unlock/slide the unit out...no?
Thanks again...great bunch you are. :thumbsup:

You'll know if you see little holes top and bottom on both sides. The little tool is pretty cheap $5 I think and you can pick it up at Advance.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ray

Satellite Radio buddy... Just drop in an entire new head unit with built in Sat Radio controls (XM or Sirius - you choice) and enjoy. Trust me you'll love it...

Comercials??? I don't need no stink'n commericials...

pafixitman

Reaction score
ericboutin said:
You'll know if you see little holes top and bottom on both sides. The little tool is pretty cheap $5 I think and you can pick it up at Advance.

4 finish nails work also!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aww man... ;Really never thought of that and I'm always one for trying to save a couple bucks!! I could definately see how that would work! :thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem with that satalite radio, is it comes with a bill every month. :rolleyes:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Only problem with that satalite radio, is it comes with a bill every month. :rolleyes:

Ah it's not that bad... I pay mine for the entire year up front and they inturn give me 16 months for the 12 month price... or I think it's 4 extra months... But not having to listen to commercials is well worth it - plus I get to listen to my favorite channel from one coast to the other ;Sweet

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Which is why I put a Clarion MP3/WMA player in my truck. HUNDREDS of songs on 1 CD, from 1986 to 1998. You know, back before country went to heck... I can't even listen to most of the new stuff...