not a good way to waste 800.00!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rlyons said:

dude im sorry but i would not own a dodge if you gave it to me with a glovebox full of 100 dollar bills.my buddies dodge is in need of the 5th front end rebuild this year.it was done 4 times last year.hes waiting for it to burn or get wrecked so the insurance will pay it off and he can go buy a chevy

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well at least you make me feel glad that I just went with the downpipe instead of the whole upgrade, like most people said to do!

The downpipe fit well, connecting it to the rest of the pipe was the hardest part.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
94f450sd, you said:
"i have to carry customers in this truckwhen i tow thier cars.it doesnt look good for business using a truck with a bad exhaust leak."

you could always remind them that THEY are the ones in need of being towed :)
locally, some of the roughest looking/sounding trucks are towtrucks. I for one find insulting a towtruck driver akin to insulting a heart surgeon.... just not a good idea.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somebody wanna tell me how that stupid freakin bracket is supposed to work?!!! :mad:

Attachments

• truck 259.jpg
    truck 259.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 10
  • truck 260.jpg
    truck 260.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 12
  • truck 261.jpg
    truck 261.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 12
  • truck 262.jpg
    truck 262.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 6
  • truck 263.jpg
    truck 263.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 9

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the exhaust system on this truck is supposed to be the same as a normal pickup.can somebody tell me why the freakin tailpipe dont fit when the stock tail pipe fit perfect?! :mad: heres another picture of it hitting everything

Attachments

• truck 264.jpg
    truck 264.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 9

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich-

That stupid bracket thing does work great...if you've got a manual. Somebody at ATS didn't think of that when the designed this setup...

Any chance you could move the dipstick tube? If you unbolt it from the back of the head, maybe you can remove the upper half of the tube and "tweak" it a little to go around that bracket? Maybe you could cut a 1" section out of the bracket, and use some 1"x1/8" flat bar to make the bracket "jog" around the dipstick? I know that it's supposed to bolt in and doing all of this defeats the purpose of spending $800 on a kit, but we gotta figure out some reasonable way to make it work.

On your exhaust issues-

1. Did you install the exhaust while the truck was in the air on a lift? I did that with my MBRP exhaust, and it fit like **** too. Once down on the ground, that leaf spring compresses out of the way and the tail section can be slipped into the muffler a little more to clear the fuel tank and spring. I actually had to trim my tailpipe where it slips into the muffler to get it forward far enough. (this was expected, as my kit was designed to be "cut to fit" as it comes long enough for a 4 door longbed truck. I cut down to fit my supercab longbed...and mated it to my ATS downpipe.) EDIT NOTE: My exhaust still hits the spring and fuel tank when the truck is raised on the lift...but clears fine on the ground.

2. I ended up relocating the front most hanger (that bolts to the passenger side frame rail) back about 2.5 feet on my truck. Theres actually holes in the frame that allow it to just bolt on, but further back. With the clamp on hanger that goes around the exhaust piping, I was able to make it work pretty nicely. You should know: My exhaust is a 4" system designed for a 96-98 Powerstroke, so I had to do quite a bit of fab work to get it all to work. Your exhaust may be lots different...

3. When I had my truck on the lift today to change the oil, I looked at my setup again. I've got the exact same exhaust setup as you, but with a non-wastegated turbo. The slip fit up-pipe is leaking at the turbo inlet, but my downpipe seems to have sealed up after about 1k miles. My kit was used, so the up-pipe was pitted from rust a little, and fit loosely into the turbo inlet. The current plan is to use some 3M exhaust manifold sealant to seal up things. This 3M goop is supposedly used on racecars all the time, and is said to withstand constant 1500*F temps. Maybe a smear of that around the up-pipe before assembly will work for you as well.

Just trying to help...

Ryan

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dipstick has already been moved for the hydraulic lines to run up the frame to the pump on the front of the engine so theres no where else to put it.in the picture of the tailpipe the truck is down with its full wieght on the springs.i had to lengthen my systen as my wheel base is about a foot and half longer than a crew cab.part of the tailpipe issue is my fuel tank hangs lower than a normal pickups tank.got a name or part number for this 3M goop stuff?

now i found out on the "other" website that banks has a downpipe that goes on just like the factory pipe.if i knew that when i bought this system i wouldve gotten the banks pipe.i still might do that and put my stock elbow back on it.for 800 dollars they shouldve made the elbow/pipe connection like every normal turbo/pipe setup out there!!!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No part number on the 3M magic sauce. Thats why I don't have any yet...I'm waiting on my hotrod-building buddy at work to bring me a tube. I'll keep you posted....

If you havent already welded the exhaust together...maybe try moving it forward and down a little to clear things. Or maybe see if you can get an exhaust shop to put a little jog in the pipe right around the tank to clear it.

I agree about the inferior design, but it's what we've got. Short of converting to a different setup, Its got to be made to work...somehow. Don't give up on it yet...

Ryan

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
94f450sd said:
guess you havent seen this yet,huh? Click here to watch dually-burnout84

thats my PSD :D

Yeah I seen it Rich I was just sayin my PSD can't even spin the tires on a gravel road its a big ole **** $ for $ all I could add to my PSD is a tuner and I would have more money wrapped up in it and MY IDI would still spank it :rotflmao I can't pour the money in to my PSD that you did but thats ok I only bought it to replace my other dump truck which was a 67 GMC with no power steering no power clutch no heat no air so when its cold and I'm pulling my back hoe in a Tshirt I still smile even if it does take me a while to get up to speed :rolleyes:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
my braket fit just fine but once again my pipe fit tight and I have a 5spd so I can't help there but what I'm wondering Rich is since you have a super duty if your rear end is narrower like mine causing the problems its hard to tell by the pics but it looks like its hitting the fuel tank and springs and maybe to far foward and high which is caused by it being to far foward wish I was closer I'd come give you a hand and then maybe you tell me why my PSD is such a ****

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well i got the downpipe taken care of.i jacked up on it to get it all the way up in the elbow and made a bracket to go from that stupid twisted thing they gave me and to the tab on the downpipe.i had to bend the twisted thing a little so it will put pressure to hold the pipe up.but its still leaking a little.and i think i found the leak ive had for 3 years.the up pipe from the splitter to the turbo has that same stupid slip fit like the downpipe has.its all black around so i think thats the original leak that i couldnt find and is still leaking.egts climb slower on the highway and instead of going up to 1300 on the pyro it now goes to about 900.i also have 8 psi of boost on the highway where i used to have 6 psi.so it must have helped a little.but i dont feel any difference in performance,its still as nutless as it was before this nightmare.but i also havent tweaked the pump or wastegate yet.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
ok well i got the downpipe taken care of.i jacked up on it to get it all the way up in the elbow and made a bracket to go from that stupid twisted thing they gave me and to the tab on the downpipe.i had to bend the twisted thing a little so it will put pressure to hold the pipe up.but its still leaking a little.and i think i found the leak ive had for 3 years.the up pipe from the splitter to the turbo has that same stupid slip fit like the downpipe has.its all black around so i think thats the original leak that i couldnt find and is still leaking.egts climb slower on the highway and instead of going up to 1300 on the pyro it now goes to about 900.i also have 8 psi of boost on the highway where i used to have 6 psi.so it must have helped a little.but i dont feel any difference in performance,its still as nutless as it was before this nightmare.but i also havent tweaked the pump or wastegate yet.

well,actually,the down pipe upgrade won't give you any more power.It allows you to be able to dump more fuel in and better boost curve which is what will give you more power without blowing it up!If you was running without a lot of smoke before the upgrade then you was running either too little or exactly the right amount of fuel to air mixture.Now you can tweak it to make more power and for gods sakes do it!Give that blue oval a set of marbles!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im gonna tweak it.i just wanted to see what kind of differences the system made before i did it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well ive been beating the **** out of it and that freakin pipe is still leaking!!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
have you contacted ATS about this?The elbow might have been bored out a little large.I have this problem with Butterfly Valves at work.Run 20 good parts and get a part with different hardness iron and the tool does strange things.Pretty sure they use the same type of tools I use to bore out the shaft holes on these bodys.Or maybe you got one of those deals where the pipe was at the minimum tolerance and the elbow was at the maximum tolerance but still checked out by QC specs.There is a lot of variables.I am sure ATS will work with ya since they like any other company that has been around wish to stay around with good customer satisfaction.