not a good way to waste 800.00!!

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
dude im sorry but i would not own a dodge if you gave it to me with a glovebox full of 100 dollar bills.my buddies dodge is in need of the 5th front end rebuild this year.it was done 4 times last year.hes waiting for it to burn or get wrecked so the insurance will pay it off and he can go buy a chevy
Any truck will have it problems,I love my fords but the cummings is a great eng and I have alot of friends with dodge cummings and they have no susp. problems,one even runs 11.80 @115.00 MPH!!!!

4-5 front ends in a year?? I am sure there is more to that story,chevy would be the last one I would buy,I love my old school fords!!! ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86lx said:
4-5 front ends in a year?? I am sure there is more to that story,chevy would be the last one I would buy,I love my old school fords!!! ;Sweet

no more to the story other than its dodge.another friend had the same issue,he was smart and sold it to buy a chevy.only way id own a dodge is if it was on the back of my ford going to junkyard!!!

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
no more to the story other than its dodge.another friend had the same issue,he was smart and sold it to buy a chevy.only way id own a dodge is if it was on the back of my ford going to junkyard!!!
Not trying to start crap but I just think its wierd to have that many problems with front ends in a year,I have had some ratty beaters and never had that much trouble,Everyone said fords killl front ends too but I have had 3 explorers and 2 f-250's with no issues at all.Ford tough!!
My buddys explorer destroys tires every 10,000 miles,go figure!!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
86lx said:
Any truck will have it problems,I love my fords but the cummings is a great eng and I have alot of friends with dodge cummings and they have no susp. problems,one even runs 11.80 @115.00 MPH!!!!

Um, dude...if you're gonna brag about how good the engine is, at least spell it right. Its a Cummins. Not a cummings. :rolleyes:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich-

I'm still working on getting the 3M exhaust putty goop. My buddy at work just ordered his for his hotrod project, so when it comes in, I'll get that number off of it. I've talked to several people who have used it (mainly in place of a gasket when installing headers) and they say its the only way to fly. It really makes up for warped header flanges or un-true mounting surfaces on the heads, according to them. If it holds up to that (and the EGT's of a gasser...) it should be just what we need.

Ryan

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reklund said:
Rich-

I'm still working on getting the 3M exhaust putty goop. My buddy at work just ordered his for his hotrod project, so when it comes in, I'll get that number off of it. I've talked to several people who have used it (mainly in place of a gasket when installing headers) and they say its the only way to fly. It really makes up for warped header flanges or un-true mounting surfaces on the heads, according to them. If it holds up to that (and the EGT's of a gasser...) it should be just what we need.

Ryan
If you don't mind my asking, are you planning to get some of this exhaust putty for Rich and some for yourself? Or are you "just" trying to get the part number and a supplier? I ask because I'm thinking that I could use some as well...I've got exhaust leaks all over the place (manifold gaskets, crossover pipe, down-pipe, and possibly the up-pipe as well) and it'd be nice to make them disappear once and for all. ;Sweet

Thanks!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plan was to purchase a tube for myself, and make the part number available for others who wish to try it.

I did a little research tonight and came up with this:

"An alternative to muffler putty would be a silicone sealant. We have one product that I have used in the past with a fair amount of success. This is Loctite 596 Superflex which is a sealant that is capable of withstanding continuous operational temperatures of 315°C. If they are exposed to temperatures above this point they will char, however the charred material will still provide a seal, and will allow separation for service. "

FYI: 315*C is 599*F

Theres also this stuff:

"PERMATEX ULTRA COPPER Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

For turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temperature RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings Part# 81878 3.0 oz."

I'll still try to find the 3M part number if I can, but these seem to be suitable substitutes. I like the Loctite over the Permatex ultra copper stuff, however...

Ryan

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reklund said:
Um, dude...if you're gonna brag about how good the engine is, at least spell it right. Its a Cummins. Not a cummings. :rolleyes:
I was not thinking properly,still a good engine,can't deny that.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back from the dead... :D

reklund said:
The plan was to purchase a tube for myself, and make the part number available for others who wish to try it.

<snip>

I'll still try to find the 3M part number if I can, but these seem to be suitable substitutes. I like the Loctite over the Permatex ultra copper stuff, however...
Ryan, did you ever have any luck with this? It sounds like RTV could be used, but I imagine this putty would still be the ideal if at all possible...

Thanks again! :cool

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Rich,
Did you ever get this issue resolved?? I know you said you have already moved the dipstick tube for your hydro lines, but Hypermax has a dipstick tube for 28 bucks, they are the only ones who I have seen that advertise the fact you have to have it if you add a turbo system to your truck! (maybe just for theirs, but for 28 bucks, it'd be worth a try) Perhaps that will give you the clearence nessary to mount the DP properly and seal it up??? I just thought I would ask, sence I seen the thread revived today by Warden.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I just got the Ford factory turbo dip stick tube 2 weeks ago. The path is very different from a NA truck. Rich's truck was turbo from the factory. The one thing I did notice though. the bracket we made to the ATS dp, had to change when I ran the new dip stick tube. My "old" bracket was not long enough. I'll be replacing the #7 injector line this weekend and try to get a good shot of the housing / dp. No leaks on mine at all.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I Install the ATS kit I do a test fit between the out let and pipe, of the 4 so far 3 were a "tap" fit - 1 was a rattle. Took it to a muffler shop an had them expand the down pipe. Other than that all have been good. The factory is set at 5 psi so if you were getting 8 then something has been done to the actuator. If you are getting black smoke without turning up the pump you may have another problem. All of the installs have been a great success, it made a difference in performance and EGT,s. But the suggestion of cutting out the hood seal to get more air is lame. Put in " cowl air" or cut out the rad support for a 4 inch inlet.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Im not pushing Hypermax Products (if I was theyd be giving me a turbo system for free! but unfortunatly) but I checked last night, and they have a Dipstick tube for the factory turbos too, Id have to call them and get some tech questions, or someone would, to find out why they offer them, but im assuming its for clearence puposes? :confused: I dunno, dont have a turbo. Just my 2 cents ya'll!

:draw

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its stillleaking.the other day when i was under it i found the band clamp that holds the DP to the rest of the exhaust is tight but leaking also.the DP and front pipe should have been a slip fit NOT a butt it together and hope the band clamp holds it together fit.its junk and a waste of my money!!!this spring i may try to do something with it myself when i have time.i wish i knew about all this before ibought it,i wouldnt have bought it.what was wrong with using a V-clamp to hold the DP to the elbow like anormal system?just a seriously poor design. :mad: -cuss ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger