Night Moose Update

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mel, that's what started me modding my PSD. My IDI would run circles around it around town. Going from 21:1 compression to 17:1 and going from 4.10's to 3.55 gears really hurt. The PSD's really rely on the turbos to make the bigger power. I still don't care for the 3.55 gears. It will tow all day in OD at 72 mph, but let it drop below 70 and it needs to be out of OD. Then it's down to about 62mph to be happy in drive.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Mastermoose, You need a thermometer in there with it, cause it may open at 250 instead of 190 or 180 or waht ever the thermostat needs to be at. They start smoking knocking at 350k, and will run to 600k, and will need to THINK about a rebuild.

Tell ya a few secerts about a 300 six

in 67 they had dished pistons and 9.5 to one, in 90s they had flat tops and 9.5 to one so you tak e head off a old motor and put it on a new one, you may need to turn the itming back

And you can turn it to normal if you can get your hands on racing fuel. then she'll bark 3rd gear on accienet.....I may know this from experience. There a stout motor, if a IDI was 300 cI id take a 300 six vs a IDI man, there very stout just not enough power.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the whole cooling system in that truck was overhauled by a NAPA car care center in 2004. They complained of a lot of rust in the system, according to the recepts Matthias was given. They replaced the water pump, thermostat, flushed the system, and put fresh coolant in it. Matthias said there was a lot of rust when he took the thermostat out. Looks like this truck was doomed to overheat someday, all for the want of a coolant filter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Interestingly, the whole cooling system in that truck was overhauled by a NAPA car care center in 2004. They complained of a lot of rust in the system, according to the recepts Matthias was given. They replaced the water pump, thermostat, flushed the system, and put fresh coolant in it. Matthias said there was a lot of rust when he took the thermostat out. Looks like this truck was doomed to overheat someday, all for the want of a coolant filter.

It sounds an awful lot like someone put Dexcool in the thing at one time. Once that junk has been in a while, major rust and head gasket erosion is a given.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Do you know about LMC Truck?

I just got a catalog from them in the mail, today. They list LOTS of parts.
I know some of you need a radiator core support. Open the catalog and right on page 3--
87-91 Diesel $189.95
92-96 Diesel $237.44

Matthias, if you don't have one of these, go to LMCTruck.com and request a catalog. Then you can "build" your truck. Back in the day, it was long hours spent with the JC Whiney catalog, now its LMC Truck.

Sheet metal, running gear, interior stuff--its all there.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dexcool is crap. It WILL cause excessive rust and corrosion in the water passages, and it'll clog up a radiator so fast your head will spin.
We're running a gallon of dexcool in my moms green truck right now with the new 6.9. Didnt have a choice in the matter, the only stuff the station carried was dexcool type coolant and our level was a little low and we were over heating.
SO NOW we get to drain and trash all of our nice coolant with DCA4 in it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What is Dexcool?
Helge

Dexcool was the factory fill GM extended life coolant and they tried to convince everyone that it was the greatest thing for all cars, and required it for theirs, claiming a 5 year change interval.
What happened in reality is the stuff caused insane engine damage, major internal rust and cooling system sludge issues, head gasket and intake manifold gasket erosion ( bum head gasket, sound familiar?? ) the stuff even eats radiator solder.

It all finally came to a head about 9 months ago when GM finally settled a bunch of class action lawsuits over the stuff for all the damage it caused, but for some strange reason, the stuff is still being sold. I guess it's for all the hardcore GM/ dexcool fans who were defending it to the death, so they can keep ruining their vehicles with it :dunno Unfortunately, lots of unsuspecting folks bought the stuff believing the hype and suffered major expenses because of it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll have some picture updates soon. More progress in Moose Valley over the weekend. The back of Johnmal's old truck is now officially a trailer. Got the hitch all welded up. The C6 is now off the engine, and the ZF5 has arrived in it's place. Need to do the lucky mod on the DMF, resurface it, and install it. I'll pick up a new disc and presure plate for it from Ford. Hopefully next weekend, we'll finalize the new power plant and get ready to pull the 300 six.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online