Night Moose Update

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
am i the only one????

mel, what the hell are you hauling it with?
blasphemy if I ever saw.

seriously good luck,
drew

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
hey Matthias nice looking truck

Mel how do you like towing with your Excursion. how does it compare power wide to say your lady Moose? what do you think of how the tranny shifts and have you done any engine/trans mods to your X?

i know we love our IDIs i am just wondering because i wonder how my CC will pull compared to my SD once i get the turbo on her. right now i am running the SD for work in preparation for a work trip to Chicago this month where i will be working in a condo on the Miracle Mile. it's funny how i feel safer driving my 22 year old 317K mile IDI than i do my 9 year old 168K mile SD. SD a lot better for comforts but i trust the older truck better. if only it wasnt for those dang original 1986 head gaskets i'd be driving the IDI to Chicago but i also don't care if something happens to my SD on a work trip.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I dunno bout you guys, I love 300 sixes......I was watching some guys pull a 12x50 house trailer up a hill by the house. It was a good thing to watch. They had here in low range, with about 5.33s in the truck and it was all the truck could do to move it. Walking speed. They popped the hood cause he thought it was getting hot......Guy that popped the hood goes, the manifold is glowing. The reponse was, Cool, SHut the hood so i can see. I live by crazy ford people i tell ya

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yep my 1st ferd truck had the 300/6. ran good despite the knock. try as i might i couldn't blow that engine up. my old boss ran his E150 with the 300 2 gallons low on coolant repeatedly.. and the van still rusted away around the engine.

300 is the best ford engine i have used. i like the gear cam drive like our IDI's

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's a nice looking truck ;Sweet Good base to start anything from.

I had an old van with a 300-6 , 5.13 rear and three on the tree at one time. THat beast would pull anything....slowly :D It was screaming at 60 mph, but I was able to pull a stuck vehicle out of a ravine that two cheby pickups with small blocks chained together couldn't budge. Those are stout engines. The 23mpg was nice too.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
300 six are designed to eventually burn oil, knock, and make weird mechanical sounds. Theyll run with about 40 psi of compression too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moose Wagon got 19.2 MPG towing the trailer empty, and 18.2 on the return trip. I was very happy with that, especially since I was pushing a lot of air at 65 to 70 MPH almost the whole way, including some very strong runs up over the mountains on I-81 and I-84. The X suffers from what I like to call bipolar disorder. It's two different trucks, like Jykle and Hyde. One I love. The other I loath. Below 40 MPH, especially when towing, it can't get out of its own way. In fact, it's infuriating. Any of the IDI's in my fleet, including the C6 powered Moosestang would run circles around it, towing 10,000 pounds and laughing all the way. Once it gets rolling however, and the torque converter locks up, get it up around 1800 with a good head of boost, and it will tear up the mountain with whatever is behind it and away you go. I truely wish it were a manual, as that 4R100 or whatever it is, is truely the achilies heal of this vehicle. Perhaps more so the torque converter or the firmware. Yea, I know there is probably some stuff I could do to it to remedy this, but it's bone stock and is going to stay that way. It's not my hobby vehicle. It's very reliable thus far, and doesn't give me a lick of trouble, which leaves more time for engine swaps and IDI mods. Barney was smart to sell it. It was probably in Jykle mode at the time. LOL. Rob - I'd say Lady Moose pulls comparably. A lot better and stronger at slower speeds obviously. Unfortunately, Lady doesn't get near the fuel milage of the Excursion, which was a good reason to take it. I know your SD was not as good on fuel as the Moose Wagon. Why the difference, I have no idea. If I had an empty trailer both ways, we could have made the round trip on one tank of fuel. I figure our cost for going to get it, including the hotel and meals was about $500. Probably would have cost me the same to have it shipped, but what fun would that have been?

Last edited:

MasterM00SE

Son of Mel
Reaction score
Successfully removed the thermostat, only to discover that it is the cause of the overheating problem that the engine had been undergoing. I checked to see if it was working by throwing it in a pot of boiling water, waiting, then removing it to see if I could notice any contractions. Nothing!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Successfully removed the thermostat, only to discover that it is the cause of the overheating problem that the engine had been undergoing. I checked to see if it was working by throwing it in a pot of boiling water, waiting, then removing it to see if I could notice any contractions. Nothing!

I had that happen to me once in the '83 gasser. The T-stat would not open and she got hot on the side of the highway. She boiled over really nice. I miss a college final because of this........-cuss Luckily the professor was understanding and I took a make up test the next day.

I just removed the T-stat, filled the truck up with ditch water from the side of the road and made it home. LOL

Heath

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
18 mpg blah. i'm lucky to get 15 empty keeping it under 2000 rpm. glad yours is treating you well. mine works ok as a business expense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online