Next Project

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have had this tick noise for a while (here we go again :rolleyes: ) and it just drives Me crazy cookoo :mad: . Many have heard it and say it is a miss, I just don't totally agree with that wich is why I will give it a shot by removing the zf-5 out of there. You see I have the feeling this noise is coming from the flywheel and I believe so since there is been a small leak that have developed to the point where is almost drip oil, this leak is from the dipstick o-ring and the main rear seal, so my buddies I need to know a few thing if you can answer Me.

- Is there a o-ring I can get for that dipstick?
- What do I need to know in order to remove this tranny?
I have done the following:

- removed UP nd Down pipes (wich I just repainted with High temp paint)
- removed starter

I have the feeling I need to remove the cross member if I want the tranny to go down (I do have a tranny jack). Do I need to raise the truck or I just leave it at the high it already is (in order to remove the tranny)?

There is other stuff I don't know for sure if it has to come out like the master cylinder for the clutch, also is there anything else I have to look for any tips?

I will be replacing the rear seal, so where can I get the tool to remove/replace or I can do it with something else?

Well that is pretty much it for now, I'm sure questions will arise while I go forward on this project, I do hope I can do it in a week so I can have the truck runing for the weekend.

Thank you for any good tip, Exekiel.

ps- I removed and reinstalled a transmission before but this one is much larger so dummies tips are appreciated :D .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, I don't think there was any need to remove the starter.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the dipstick oring on my truck last week. I called around and none of the Ford dealerships in town had the oring in stock. I found one at a local International store...but they were on the other side of town and they wanted $5 for a stupid oring. I ended up just matching up the oring out of an oring assortment we have at the shop. I also put a little black FIPG on the oring before reinstallation to aid in placement and sealing. The old oring was badly deformed where it slid out of place during installation, and leaked like a sieve. I believe it was just a 1/4" or 5/16" oring...either way you should have no trouble matching one up at NAPA or the like...

Ryan

Exekiel69

Reaction score
OK, It is off the engine, now I need t remove the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel any tips on that?

Also I don't have the alingment tool and I do not know where to get it, any of you know? I called napa and they don't have it.

Do I need a tool to remove the rear seal or I can do it with something else, I remember haynes say to use the tool or a hammer :confused: .

Any help will be appreciated :D .

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok, the sfw is off and I'm not sure what I found. First, I don' think the rear seal is leaking, neither the seal (looks like a triangle) behind it is leaking. The oil seems to come out of one plug you can see at the left close to the oil pan it open/close with a 3/8 rachet or less, now I don't know if I could remove the plug and re seal it with gasket maker wich I think is they used to seal on this one. The oil looks like is coming from the oil pan but only the corners.

Also I check the head gasckets and I thought they where metallic with some type of gascket in between, now the ones I see on my engine are only a gascket :confused: and looks like some oil (very little) is coming from them in one corner (driver side).

I could really use some help now guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0002~1.JPG
    IMG_0002~1.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0004~1.JPG
    IMG_0004~1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0007~1.JPG
    IMG_0007~1.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0006~1.JPG
    IMG_0006~1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0009~1.JPG
    IMG_0009~1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 13

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you EZ everything looks good and clean to me besides a little seepage I would consider normal as long as you ain't leaving puddles as for the ticking noise I beleive thats just a trade mark solid flywheel sound

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I Know What's Wrong!

EZ,

I know what's wrong! You don't have 3/16" of oil caked onto the oil pan or a stream of oil runnig down your filter! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

After you achieve these, she'll run sweet! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well after I started using the psd oil filters it does have a little bit of oil running down the filter but not enough for a drip. I made a mistake by taking the pic after I cleaned :idiot: , but it was not much oil except on the left side on the pics there is oil in the corner at the oil pan and some oil coming from that plug I mentioned I want to remove it and reinstall it with some more gasket maker.

Now I have a problem, I do not have the alignment tool for the clutch, I would but this is the first time I do this and the guy that did it did not give it back to Me when he installed the flywheel and ceramic clutch. If anyone close by have one or has access to one I'll appreciate if I can have it, or if you know where can I order one too.

Now about the tick noise, yes I do believe it is produced some how by the sfw, specially because when I go under the truck while the engine is at idle I can hear it right there.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you Aric, so far no one else does. I emailed dial-a-clutch but they would take much longer. I do not know anywhere else I could get it, I have called napa with no luck and around here if they don't have it advance and autozone are not a choice.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ez-
i have a bunch of the plastic clutch dildoes. They aren't as dead-on as a input shaft( i have a couple of those too :eek: missing teeth) but the plastic ones are free with the kit. If you want one for yourself in the future I can send one out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well Aric is sending Me one of this, mean while I'll still try to get one any where I go but I don't count on thatb since I have tried several places and got nothing.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well yesterday I finished installing the tranny up/down pipes for turbo and only had dipstick to seal for some hs, I just fired it up and it runs just fine.

As a result I found that the tick noise is not an engine miss, it is produced by the sfw on the transmission. I know this bc the noise is not as loud as before while idling. So now I finally found out what the tick was and also I got to learn how to do our trannys ;Sweet . It really is not so difficult I must say and one person can do it just fine. Thank you Aric for your help with the alignment tool :thumbsup: and Mel thank you for the 100 calls you accepted with my questions :hail I did took some pic maybe next time someone will need them.