New place to look for fuel leak!

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen this one listed, but I found a major leak in one of the bleeder caps on the very to of my separator. This was an add-on separator, mounted forward of the fuel filter, not on the firewall. It had a marine-type element screwed on, with a visible section at the bottom and a screw-in valve. Everything was plastic, plastic, plastic.

I've been chasing air intrusion for months. Replaced all the lines from the selector valve forward. Fuel feed to separator, separator to lift pump, skipped hard line from pump to filter and filter to IP. Replaced all return lines with Pensacola Diesel kit, replaced them again with good fuel line when they promptly failed. Finally replaced return line from #8 cyl to selector valve.

I was still getting airy starts, but with no fuel weeping anywhere. Had to crank three or four times, and when it finally started would get a nice cloud of white smoke, and that higher pitched rattle under the normal diesel rattle that I've come to recognize as air in the fuel. Worked the starter to the limit doing it this way.

When the mech lift pump failed, the starter went too. Installed new gear-reduction starter, new battery cables, new starter signal wire (doubled-up 16 gauge w/heat shrink) and installed an electric pump down by the selector valve, wired to ignition. Fired it up, and heard the spatter of leaking fuel. At the top of the separator housing fuel was bubbling out of both caps (bleeder valves?) and pouring down the sides of the separator element. Installed a brass barb where the separator had been (to eliminate it), then primed with the elec. pump, purging air from schrader valve.

WHOOM! Started first crank, ice cold, with one 9-second gp cycle. Just a whiff of gray smoke, and no air rattle at all. Took a test drive, and if I'm not imagining things, ran better than ever.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

1. If you have any air intrusion at all, replace all the rubber lines. It costs about $40 for ten feet each of 3/8 and 5/16 fuel line, and you'll end up with a few feet left over for this or that. The job takes about an hour and is stupid easy, just have some vice grips handy to clamp off lines and rags to catch fuel. Do the supply lines and returns. Seriously, it's easy, cheap and worth it.

2. Use quality fuel line for the injector-to-injector return lines. I don't know what Pensacola is peddling, but all mine cracked within a month.

3. Spend $60 on a cheap electric pump, and stick it in the circuit. I bought the cheap green one from Mr. Gasket. Your mech pump can pull through it, and it takes a half hour to install. Whether you wire it to a switch or ignition power, it's cheap insurance if you ever run low on fuel and don't want to spend an hour using the starter to prime the fuel system. You can also run it as your only lift pump. It might also help you find a leak you didn't expect, which leads me to:

4. Suspect the unexpected when searching for air/fuel leaks! Fuel may not leak out, but air can leak in. Check everything, including hard lines, and especially your fuel/water separator if it has plugs and bleeder valves. I never thought to look there, and it was probably the source of air coming in all along.

Do your lines, and put in an electric pump. I wish I hadn't waited.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion: run the barrier style fuel hose and you won't have any problems with it cracking/leaking. Basically a barrier layer of nylon sandwiched between the inner tube, it's the only stuff that truly works for keeping permeation down, especially with newer fuels/additives/etc.

This is the stuff I like, but I'm kinda biased......:D

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=226

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking air leaks in fuel systems, here's one too look out for too.

Recently repaired a fuel system on a sail boat with a little 3 cyl Yannie.

Guy kept losing prime, although he thought it was a dirty fuel issue and kept replacing filter elements in his Racor. I know a lot of us use Racor systems in our trucks and why I'm 'splainin this one. It's a twofer 'splainin' post.

If you can find one of those out board engine priming pumps with the appropriate barb size for fuel line, install it after the fuel tank switching unit supply line.

Have a small can of diesel handy and prime it into the fuel system, or add a short piece of hose and connect to your own vehicle, giving it positive pressure. This will help expose air intrusion problems by forcing fuel out of the leaky areas. Of course an electric pump works great too, but you don't have to wire in anything.

Back to the Racor leak.

Most Racor filter systems with the clear yellow bowls (Used for diesels....blue bowls are for gasoline and why I know there's a difference in plastics and why I fuss over plastic fuel senders) have a little white plug on the bottom for draining dirt and water. There is a little red o-ring to seal it up tight.

The sail boats former mechanic had over tightened this plastic plug too tight and cracked it ever so slightly. It was so slight, air bubbles didn't present themselves to really notice there was a problem, however, by pressurizing the system as described, it revealed a very small wet spot on the bottom of the clear bowl.

Hours of the "other guy" trouble shooting and replacing clean fuel filters was not only a waste, but was solved in about an hour and a free replacement part off an old filter the owner had for some reason.

Now if I'd only take my own advice and do it to my truck, I have a leak somewhere too, no air intrusion dilemmas, only smell... just waiting on new drivers window motor first! cookoo And olives from Typ4! LOL

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seconding the pressuring up to find a leak method. Found another little weeper under the bellhousing where I connected the new hose to the hard line. Another place to lose prime and draw in air. I'll seal this thing 100% if it kills me. I'm considering running one hose from the filter all the way to the selector.

And hard lines can leak or weep, too. My trans vacuum hardline had a big ol' HOLE in it from vibrating against the bellhousing. Bendable brake lines from your local chain store are cheap. I like to keep a few around, along with a $10
cut/bend/flare kit from Harbor Freight. They'll work for fuel/vacuum/whatever. I bend em to fit, deburr and flare em, then slide a hose over the flare with a clamp.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All this is a great idea right up to the electric pump pushing fuel thru the mechanical pump. Doing this will sooner or later ruin the mechanical pump diaphram. Then the fuel will be pumped directly into the engine oil pan diluting it. That ruins the crank bearings and most of the engine... So please remove the mechanical pump. replace the pump with a big block cover plate for lift pumps and be happy with the instant fuel flow from an electric lift pump like you have...;Sweet:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad Gary said it, because I was going to. Most of us that convert to an electric pump never go back to mechanical. A nice big block chevy block-off plate will bolt on in place of the pump just perfectly.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i have my electric lift pump and mechanical plumbed parallel helps running the thicker waste oil cocktail

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I eliminated mine from the circuit, don't worry. I plumbed around it. Still losing prime, though. At least I think I am.

First start in the a.m. after 12 hours not running, but plugged in to block heater: about 1/8 second of starter, vroom!

Start after 9 hours sitting in parking lot at work: about 4 cranks of 8-10 seconds each, with 10 seconds on the GP button each time, elec pump pumping the whole time... huge puff of airy smoke, then smoky, airy sounding running for the first 5 miles or so.

I'm suspecting the GP's, but they're giving me air intrusion symptoms. My guess is based on the fact that it's perfect in the early morning, even after sitting all that time with no fuel pumping. The block heater is keeping it hot, and the GP's aren't heating things up in the afternoon when I activate them.

They stay on 6-7 seconds if I don't use the manual button, I thought if they were shot they would kick off sooner due to higher draw or stay on too long due to low draw. ...?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you plugged it in and it fired right up, but unplugged you had to crank and crank and crank.....

You have glow plug issues......

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all 8 are dead, according to a test light run thru. Who knew...

I'm guessing they've been bad all along. I guess starting it in the 115° summer won't give much of a frame of reference.

Time for another project... sigh. This had better be the last one for awhile.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Cant ya install a bypass with valve for the manual pump, and just switch the valve incase the electric pump goes belly up? seems easier in an emergency/break down to just turn a knob and get back on the road than switch a pump.

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could but my mech isn't pumping well enough, and leaks. I know it's cheap to replace, and pretty easy as long as the lobe is lined up, but I don't have time or $$ right now. For the money I could install another little Mr. Gasket inline and valve it in, or run through it.

But yes, you could.