New guy, new project

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently picked myself up another diesel truck... I'd been suffering some serious withdrawl(sold my last one in Febuary.)
Anyhow, it's definatley a project. 86 F250 reg cab 4x4 XLT Lariat, 6.9/4 speed, body is in sad shape, and it hadn't been plated since 2000, so at least 5 years without running, possibly more.
Got it running(albeit not very great) last week and started tearing it down on the weekend

Underhood and in the cab, the truck was completley 100% stock, not a wire cut, and everything was 100% functional other than one burned out clearance light bulb. It's a fairly well optioned XLT Lariat, and most of that is going to get transfered over to the new body.
I finished pulling the dash and electrical system out of it last night, changed the IP out this morning(runs waaaay better, even tho it's a 7.3 pump with unknown mileage) Still needs injectors and glows tho(one of them still works... LOL) I plan on switching it over to 12V glows.

As for the new body, well, I have this 81 F100 FlareSide kicking around that I haven't quite been sure what to do with, I dumped a bunch of money into it, the the engine took a turn for the worse and the frame broke...

I was going to pull the body off of my other F250, but, I may as well use the one that needs a chassis...
I'm debating shortening the frame and using the FlareSide bed, would look cool with Lil Red Truck style stacks, but, the bed is a bit impractical in size for something that will be used as a tow rig.

Anyhow, any advice on injectors? It currently has the factory Italian built units in there, and I have no clue whatsoever what code they are. I'm debating going all 7.3 spec on the fuel system. I know I'll be needing a pyro with that pump installed, but, I'm also thinking turbo once this project is less build and more drive.

Attachments

• lftfrontcomplete.jpg
    lftfrontcomplete.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 12
  • interior-complete.jpg
    interior-complete.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
  • driverstorndown.jpg
    driverstorndown.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 20
  • inttorndown.jpg
    inttorndown.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 18
  • steurgeonlakelaunch2.jpg
    steurgeonlakelaunch2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 23

Exekiel69

Reaction score
great project :thumbsup: . You can easely get the injectors from fleabay I got new 192 pluss shipping and no core required ;Sweet . I allways wanted the ones from Ken at dps but my wallet and another project does not allow me yet.

Turbo charger is a good idea if you plan to use it to tow specially on hills :rolleyes: .

regards, Exekiel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and congrats for being a savior to that rig. It's way overdue for some TLC. Injectors and pumps are best had from recognized quality sources. Check the FAQ's here for links and recommendations.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, time for a bit of an update, have the body completly off of the diesel, and the other cab sitting on 2x8's between the frames as of tonite, have to blast some holes for the diesel/A/C wiring harness, clutch(donor was linkage clutch) and put on the firewall insulation before I plant it in it's new home, but, it's slowly getting there. I'm probably going to do a 1 or 2" body lift while I'm at it, just to make it easier to work on, my buddy's 88 crew has one, and it's soooooo much easier to work on it.
Anyhow, here's some pics from yesterday.
Last pic is my buddy John's 88 F350, another major project... Believe it or not, it's only got about 60K miles on it, about 10K of it on a 6.9 conversion, truck came out of the factory with a fuellie 460 and ZF, now has an 85 6.9, and ZF from a 90. He's got most of the major stuff done, so, body and paint is on the list for sometime soon.

Attachments

• sidebyside.jpg
    sidebyside.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 17
  • dashandwiring.jpg
    dashandwiring.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 18
  • johnsf351wwinch.jpg
    johnsf351wwinch.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 21

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy cowdude!!you ripped that poor truck a new ass :D sounds like a good project though,dont forget the pictures! ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
82F100SWB said:
I'm probably going to do a 1 or 2" body lift while I'm at it, just to make it easier to work on, my buddy's 88 crew has one, and it's soooooo much easier to work on it.

That is a good idea and you will thank yourself for doing it the day you put a turo on that beauty.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, time for another update.
I don't have many of things in progress, mainly due to my doing this in the evenings after work... Pictures don't work well with no light.
Anyhow, here goes:

Attachments

• cabon.jpg
    cabon.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 5
  • remains.jpg
    remains.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 6.9drivers.jpg
    6.9drivers.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 11
  • interiorinnewcab.jpg
    interiorinnewcab.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 12
  • driversfrontnewcab.jpg
    driversfrontnewcab.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 10

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped the entire 86 wiring harness over, all the firewall insulation, added A/C, you name it. The bed is a stop gap measure, unfortunatley my good one is still a couple weeks out. As you can tell, the cab has a 2" lift, and the bed currently doesn't have anything... LOL
I'm definatley seeing a turbo in the future... 7.3 pump and injectors in that sucker now... We have fuel :draw

Attachments

• passfrontnewcab.jpg
    passfrontnewcab.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 19

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Howdy and Welcome!

That is a super cool project and very nice work! That stepside looked awsome, but a diesel with a nice cab is great too! These are hands down my favorite body style and I say throw that stepside bed on the diesel after a frame chop!

Adrianspeeder