N/A Water **** Injection?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there'd be any great advantages to running water/**** injection on a naturally aspirated motor?

The water is supposed to lower EGTs and the **** is supposed to provide a more complete burn.

I wonder if that would mean I could turn up my fuel rate higher, without blowing coal everywhere?

The idea of water/**** is appealing cause it's so damn simple. I'm thinking I could cobble a system together in an afternoon. I've got a Ford EFI pressure pump which I'd plumb into my windshield washer reservoir, and make it squirt into my intake when a switch contacts at WOT.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've got a Ford EFI pressure pump which I'd plumb into my windshield washer reservoir, and make it squirt into my intake when a switch contacts at WOT.

Reminds me of Rube Goldberg. :D

You must be registered for see images

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody has done it. I remember seeing the post on TDS. I don't recal what the reported results were. They put the nozzle right in the air cleaner lid. Water/**** injection can be done safely, but so few have gone that route we don't have a lot of imperical data. I know Scott (Apextrans) had it on the truck he recently sold, but it had a turbo. Most installations I've read about were all turbo installs. The main purpose of water injection is to lower EGT's, and so in theory an N/A would benefit greatly since their EGT's tend to run higher than turbo'd engines most of the time.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main purpose of water injection is to lower EGT's, and so in theory an N/A would benefit greatly since their EGT's tend to run higher than turbo'd engines most of the time.

I keep forgetting that; it just seems counter-intuitive to me, but it's true. Good to know someone else has been there, I'll have to spend more time on Google.

I wish there was a way to control the max fueling from inside the cab. Makes me want to gerry-rig a Stanadyne DB-4 in place... hmm...

hheynow: Rube is my personal here. Haha, I think he inspires everything I do.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How soon we forget.....

http://oilburners.net/articles/splash.htm

That's pretty much what I want to do, except for the expensive pump. I like your idea of the EFI pump better - pretty cheap if sourced from the boneyard.

If you're going to use it though you'll need a bigger reservoir than what is in my '86. It only holds around 2 quarts. I was thinking something more like adding a second coolant reservior to hold the washer fluid. That thing holds more like 6 quarts.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, and Rob isn't around much to sell his article, since he sold his truck. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing out that our library had that topic covered. ;Sweet

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Okay, so I've read a lot of articles about systems and have a couple questions.

I really like the idea of using an electric fuel pump, they're easy to find and you can set up the system on a bench to make sure everything works before installing it. Any other ideas for a low cost electric pump?

All the systems I've seen are mostly turbo and use a certain amount of boost to signal the start of injection. How would a NA truck signal injection? At a certain amount of vacuum, how would you accomplish this?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the pros and cons of fuel pumps versus water pumps. Seems all the commercial systems use a water pump, and since they are made for pumping water it seems the logical choice. I'm not sure if a fuel pump will fail because of the lack of lubricating qualities of water or not, or if there is any danger of rust. Generally speaking, the low cost fuel pumps are incapable of delivering a constant presure, and most of them pulse, at least in my experience with ones on lawn mowers. That's why a lot of us like the Holley Red and other "rotary" based pumps.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Not sure on the pros and cons of fuel pumps versus water pumps. Seems all the commercial systems use a water pump, and since they are made for pumping water it seems the logical choice. I'm not sure if a fuel pump will fail because of the lack of lubricating qualities of water or not, or if there is any danger of rust. Generally speaking, the low cost fuel pumps are incapable of delivering a constant presure, and most of them pulse, at least in my experience with ones on lawn mowers. That's why a lot of us like the Holley Red and other "rotary" based pumps.

I'll do some more looking for a "cost effective" 12v water pump. Any idea what applications would use something with a low gpm rating like I'd need? I looked at RV stuff and wasn't sure if something like that would work? Like this: http://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPag...317&GUID=a11e15ad-4a91-480e-84a3-67476ce1800f

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably would work. I know the Shurflow pump recommended in the Blizzard article is a good one. Where's Travis? He should know something about this.... LOL

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Probably would work. I know the Shurflow pump recommended in the Blizzard article is a good one. Where's Travis? He should know something about this.... LOL

Yeah, the Shurflow pump is a little more spendy, not much but a little...I think like $15 more...so it doesn't really matter.

My biggest question was how to tell the pump when to come on? :dunno

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Shurflow pump is a little more spendy, not much but a little...I think like $15 more...so it doesn't really matter.

My biggest question was how to tell the pump when to come on? :dunno

That's not too difficult. You can use a micro switch mounted just beside the throttle arm, so that it is triggered at a certain throttle setting. It can be made adjustable, and you can have an override inside the cab to turn it on/off manually. This is how I had the lpg setup on my '86.

zigg :)

Attachments

• Micro%20switch.jpg
    Micro%20switch.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 26

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
That's not too difficult. You can use a micro switch mounted just beside the throttle arm, so that it is triggered at a certain throttle setting. It can be made adjustable, and you can have an override inside the cab to turn it on/off manually. This is how I had the lpg setup on my '86.

zigg :)
Good thinking, as you can tell I'm electronically clueless. So I'm assuming Radioshack would have something like this in stock that I could use: http://www.compperformancegroupstor...t_Code=NS6645&Category_Code=NITROUSCOMPONENTS

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Allow me to hijack for a moment...
I've got two turbo trucks, and one N/A.
Do you inject the water/methanol before or after the turbo?
I'm just curious as to how to overcome the boost pressure and inject the water/**** post turbo.
On the ford, that won't be such a big deal, as I doubt it's putting out 10PSI, but the dodge is putting out 30 psi.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
After the turbo blades because they are turning upwards of 130,000 rpm. With "things" like water or carbon hitting them at that speed all kinda hell can and will happen. It sure will atomize the water though.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle