FSS failure - A few Questions

PossumTruck

Reaction score
Almost was stranded last night - walked into the store, 5 min later walked out and crank/no start. OOF.

Poured a bottle of water on the IP to see if I was finally at that stage - no dice. Started wiggling wires on the IP and still nothing. Guy is asking me if I need a jump - no buddy, I got plenty of cranking, but thanks. Called my wife, all that.

Before she get there, I wiggle stuff again and the truck starts. Hallelujah. I drive the 5 miles home. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

No start in the morning. Have 12v at the FSS terminal but no click. Potential culprit identified.

Today I thanked my stars for pulling a couple IPs off of junkyard trucks a couple years ago - I took the junk IP that looked the worst of my spares and tested the FSS to ensure it worked. All good. Popped the new-to-me FSS from the junk top cover into the less-junk top cover, reassembled, and it fired right up ( I did scotchbrite all of the metal contacts, nuts, etc.; I'm not a savage).

To say it was obvious that the old FSS was bad would be..an understatement.
You must be registered for see images attach

They clearly aren't supposed to look like that (although today is the first time I ever laid eyes on this part - new or nasty)

There was also this half-washer thing stuck to it (magnetically) when it came out. I would love it if somebody knew what this was, and potentially where the other half is. I didn't find it in the top-cover area. But I run a wmo mix so maybe it was hiding in the little bit of fuel I couldn't get out. Missing metal fragments are a cause for alarm in most mechanical things, to the best of my knowledge and recollection.

And, Finally, an interesting thing. The rear bolt in the top cover had some strange tag on it - attached with wire in a hole drilled through the head. Curious as to whether anyone has seen something like this. New to me, maybe not to everyone else.

A pressing question in my mind - what caused this? What should I be looking out for? I don't want it to happen again, although I could just carry a spare top cover and a couple extra tools (I normally don't have a 3/4 wrench and a flathead in my truck toolbox). Any comment appreciated.

busman1978

Reaction score
The rear bolt and tag may be a tamper evident from a rebuilder. I've seen them on some VW TDI pumps. They use the safety wire and tag to prove the customer hasn't gone into the pump. I can't vouch for any of the other items, as injection pumps is where the magic happens. I generally work on everything up to the pump.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI check out my thread on this issue.